The Chestnut Hill School
5.00 (6 reviews)
- The Chestnut Hill School, a coeducational day school located in a residential section of Newton, encompasses a preschool program for ages 3-4, an all-day Kindergarten, and Grades 1 to 6.
- Two hundred seventy children are enrolled, with two sections at each grade level.
- Because of the comparatively small size and the favorable student-teacher ratio, The Chestnut Hill School is able to offer a rigorous academic program that embraces diversity and promotes community.
- Special subjects include art, building & engineering, computer, music, physical education, science, and Spanish.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||274 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 17|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies from $23,392 to $35,149 by grade. Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Wendy Borosavage|
|Admissions Associate||Kelly J. Conn, Ph.D.|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess Club, Early Morning Program, Electronics Club, Extended Day Program, Friends in Our Community Service Program, Math Olympiads, Rocketry, The Chestnut Hill School for Music|
- The Chestnut Hill School Mission is Academic Excellence, Diversity, and Community
- Before and Extended Day Programs (7:00 am to 6:00 pm)
- Green line T accessible
- Located on five acres, with a soccer field, two playgrounds, two swimming pools and an outdoor amphitheater
- A rich interdisciplinary program including Spanish from Beginners (age 3) to Grade 6, Violin from Kindergarten to Grade 1, Building & Engineering Beginners (age 3) to Grade 6, and Latin in Grade 6
- Excellent Secondary School Placement
- Vacation Camps and The Chestnut Hill School Creative Arts and Sports Camp
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chestnut HillGrades: PK-12 | 378 students
69 Middlesex Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
- CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 1018 students
80 Gerrys Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
- BrooklineGrades: PK-8 | 555 students
171 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
- BelmontGrades: PK-8 | 272 students
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
- West RoxburyGrades: PK-6 | 539 students
535 W Roxbury Pkwy
West Roxbury, MA 02132
The Chestnut Hill School has been an amazing experience for both of our children, and for us as parents. The community is incredible. The focus on pluralism, diversity, equity and inclusion is outstanding. Academically, the curriculum, faculty and staff are all excellent. We could not be happier with the education our children are receiving. It is a nurturing and supportive environment, as well as challenging academically. It's a truly wonderful school.
- Posted by Parent - Erin Wise
My two children are graduates of CHS. Both children received an outstanding education. CHS instills leadership and self-confidence. An exceptional experience.
- Posted by Parent - Alum Parent
The Chestnut Hill School is an outstanding educational experience! CHS gives children a well rounded education. Exceptional teachers and Head of School!
- Posted by Parent - Alum Parent
The Chestnut Hill School is a great elementary school - caring teachers, terrific community of parents, great head of school. It's academically challenging and deeply supportive at the same time, which allows kids to soar.
- Posted by Parent - current parent
I unequivocally and enthusiastically recommend The Chestnut Hill School for all preschool and elementary years. As this school year comes to an end, we are reflecting not just on the past year but the several years that we have been at CHS all which have been years of joyful years of growth for our children. Our oldest started at CHS in Pre-K; after we joined the community we wished we had experienced the amazing Beginners year and, therefore, chose Beginners as our entry point for our younger child. We are now in the Upper School at CHS and every stage of learning builds upon the strong foundation of each earlier year. CHS is committed to educating the whole child in an environment that fosters intellectual curiosity while perfectly blending academic challenge and nurture. Our children could not be more different from one another, but are both thriving and love going to school every day. During school vacations they miss their friends and teachers and wish they could return to school earlier! The community of parents is warm and inclusive with families, faculty, and staff sharing the same value system. As parents of elementary school aged children we find community supportive in every step of our parenting journey and appreciate that this age group is the sole focus of the school.
- Posted by Parent - CHS Parent
hello my name is Ane Swart i am from Cape Town and i would just like to ask where your school is and if this bording school is also for people in grade 7-8.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jeune
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.