The Chestnut Hill School
5.00 (7 reviews)
- The Chestnut Hill School, a coeducational day school located in a residential section of Newton, encompasses a preschool program for ages 3-4, an all-day Kindergarten, and Grades 1 to 6.
- Two hundred seventy children are enrolled, with two sections at each grade level.
- Because of the comparatively small size and the favorable student-teacher ratio, The Chestnut Hill School is able to offer a rigorous academic program that embraces diversity and promotes community.
- Special subjects include art, building & engineering, computer, music, physical education, science, and Spanish.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||274 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 17|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies from $23,392 to $35,149 by grade. Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Wendy Borosavage|
|Admissions Associate||Kelly J. Conn, Ph.D.|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess Club, Early Morning Program, Electronics Club, Extended Day Program, Friends in Our Community Service Program, Math Olympiads, Rocketry, The Chestnut Hill School for Music|
- The Chestnut Hill School Mission is Academic Excellence, Diversity, and Community
- Before and Extended Day Programs (7:00 am to 6:00 pm)
- Green line T accessible
- Located on five acres, with a soccer field, two playgrounds, two swimming pools and an outdoor amphitheater
- A rich interdisciplinary program including Spanish from Beginners (age 3) to Grade 6, Violin from Kindergarten to Grade 1, Building & Engineering Beginners (age 3) to Grade 6, and Latin in Grade 6
- Excellent Secondary School Placement
- Vacation Camps and The Chestnut Hill School Creative Arts and Sports Camp
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chestnut Hill Grades: PK-12 | 378 students
69 Middlesex Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
(617)738-8695 0.2 PK-12
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerrys Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)547-6100 3.5 PK-12
- Brookline Grades: PK-8 | 555 students
171 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
(617)277-2456 2 PK-8
- Belmont Grades: PK-8 | 269 students
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617)484-3078 4.8 PK-8
- West Roxbury Grades: PK-6 | 539 students
535 W Roxbury Pkwy
West Roxbury, MA 02132
(617)325-9338 3 PK-6
The Chestnut Hill School is one of the best elementary schools in the Boston/MetroWest area. Their commitment to academic excellence, diversity, and community is unparalleled. The school has gotten even better this year under the strong leadership of new head Tamara Schurdak. Her commitment to making Chestnut Hill the best it can be is apparent in everything she does. She is a wonderful leader of a great team. This school is warm and inclusive, and is the type of place we all want for our children. Thank you, CHS!
- Posted by Parent - CHS fan
The Chestnut Hill School has been an amazing experience for both of our children, and for us as parents. The community is incredible. The focus on pluralism, diversity, equity and inclusion is outstanding. Academically, the curriculum, faculty and staff are all excellent. We could not be happier with the education our children are receiving. It is a nurturing and supportive environment, as well as challenging academically. It's a truly wonderful school.
- Posted by Parent - Erin Wise
My two children are graduates of CHS. Both children received an outstanding education. CHS instills leadership and self-confidence. An exceptional experience.
- Posted by Parent - Alum Parent
The Chestnut Hill School is an outstanding educational experience! CHS gives children a well rounded education. Exceptional teachers and Head of School!
- Posted by Parent - Alum Parent
The Chestnut Hill School is a great elementary school - caring teachers, terrific community of parents, great head of school. It's academically challenging and deeply supportive at the same time, which allows kids to soar.
- Posted by Parent - current parent
I unequivocally and enthusiastically recommend The Chestnut Hill School for all preschool and elementary years. As this school year comes to an end, we are reflecting not just on the past year but the several years that we have been at CHS all which have been years of joyful years of growth for our children. Our oldest started at CHS in Pre-K; after we joined the community we wished we had experienced the amazing Beginners year and, therefore, chose Beginners as our entry point for our younger child. We are now in the Upper School at CHS and every stage of learning builds upon the strong foundation of each earlier year. CHS is committed to educating the whole child in an environment that fosters intellectual curiosity while perfectly blending academic challenge and nurture. Our children could not be more different from one another, but are both thriving and love going to school every day. During school vacations they miss their friends and teachers and wish they could return to school earlier! The community of parents is warm and inclusive with families, faculty, and staff sharing the same value system. As parents of elementary school aged children we find community supportive in every step of our parenting journey and appreciate that this age group is the sole focus of the school.
- Posted by Parent - CHS Parent
hello my name is Ane Swart i am from Cape Town and i would just like to ask where your school is and if this bording school is also for people in grade 7-8.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jeune
July 16, 2018
As you’ve been doing your boarding school research, you’ve likely seen ISEE/SSAT score submission requirements for your target schools, and understand how important scores are to the admissions process. Unfortunately, tremendous candidates can get bypassed because they were not able to demonstrate what they knew on test day.
July 13, 2018
Schools for the artistically gifted child are in short supply.
June 26, 2018
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.