The Gillispie School
The Gillispie School Photo #2 - Students, families, faculty, staff, and friends of the school are all members of the Gillispie Community. A strong sense of community, inclusion, and school-pride can felt on campus, and is celebrated at annual events like the Junior Olympics, the La Jolla Holiday Parade, and our Fall Family Night.
The Gillispie School Photo #3 - The atmosphere at Gillispie is one of support and encouragement. The synergy of forward thinking teachers, administrators, families and mentors provides the nurturing support that allows children to take risks, be creative, and think independently.
The Gillispie School Photo #4 - Gillispie students love coming to school at Gillispie. Our annual Field Day celebrates our students’ joyful spirit with a day of outdoor games.
The Gillispie School Photo #5 - Gillispie offers a nurturing environment that fosters kindness, respect, and individual commitment to one another and the larger world. Our book buddy program showcases that commitment.
The Gillispie School Photo #6 - International Day is celebrated annually at Gillispie. The community comes together to celebrate global education and diversity.
Gillispie School, named La Jolla's Best Private Elementary School, is an independent, coeducational day school enrolling students from age two through Grade Six.
Our school community is devoted to educational excellence, and our program serves as a springboard for children`s love of learning, creativity, and readiness for the future.
We value kindness, respect, and individual commitment to the larger world. Our expansive campus is located in downtown La Jolla, and includes a fine arts center, early childhood art atelier, science bungalow, sustainable garden, and library.
Two playgrounds, a sports field, and gymnasium provide areas for recess and physical education. Students benefit from San Diego's numerous natural and intellectual resources.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-6
- Students: 304 students
- Yearly Tuition: $20,000
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Finances and Admission
Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition varies by grade.
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
- Gillispie School, named La Jolla's Best Private Elementary School, is an independent, coeducational day school enrolling students from age two through Grade Six. Our school community is devoted to educational excellence, and our program serves as a springboard for children`s love of learning, creativity, and readiness for the future. We value kindness, respect, and individual commitment to the larger world.
- Our expansive campus is located in downtown La Jolla and includes a fine arts center, early childhood art atelier, science bungalow, sustainable garden, and library. Two playgrounds, a sports field, and gymnasium provide areas for recess and physical education. Students benefit from San Diego's numerous natural and intellectual resources.
- Gillispie is a school where children can`t wait to arrive, never want to leave, and are eager to share their day`s adventures with families and friends. The synergy of forward-thinking teachers, administrators, families, and mentors provides the nurturing support that allows children to take risks, be creative, and think independently. Encouraged by exemplary and passionate teachers to express their knowledge and opinions, children become lifelong learners and critical thinkers. We use time, financial resources and physical space to create an environment that develops confident, competent children of character.
- For more information, visit www.gillispie.org or contact us at 858-459-3773.
Gillispie is truly a leader in Early childhood education. We have been parents at Gillispie for over 12 years. All three of my kids have truly LOVED their school. We feel Very fortunate to have found such a holistic, healthy, and nurturing environment for our children to grow and build strong foundations for their future academic experiences. The teachers are dedicated, experienced, caring, and truly go above and beyond to give their best to our children on a daily basis. The head of school is an amazing leader, a role model, and one who is dedicated to the well being of our children and the field of education. My Gillispie graduate, who is now in middle school has wonderful memories, and is truly thriving in 8th grade both academically and as an adolescent. He was very well prepared for middle school and has continuously excelled and challenged himself academically. . We know that our children are genuinely happy here and not under pressure and stress to perform like "mini adults". They are enjoying their childhood as they should, while learning to be critical thinkers, caring citizens, good friends, and developing a love of learning. For that we are very grateful to this school.
My son attends Gillispie and we love this school. He looks forward to going to school every day. He is in the Early Childhood program, and the emphasis of the program is not on rote memorization but on socialization, critical thinking, and individual development. I was skeptical of the school's approach at first, but now I am a true believer. I''ve seen what they teach in action, and we are so pleased by our son's development, his love of learning (even at such an early age), and his enthusiasm for working on the various projects at school.
We LOVE Gillispie!! It's more than another school; it's an environment, culture and extended family we feel blessed to be part of. Gillispie completely squashed my preconceived notions of private/independent schools.
Endorse The Gillispie School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.