The Newman School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (617) 267-4530
- The Newman School offers the prestigious International Baccalaureate program in a uniquely welcoming and supportive environment.
- Our extraordinary faculty have deep international and independent school experience.
- Our motto "Cor ad cor loquitur" - Heart speaks to heart- Is the foundation of all that we do.
- Our small community nestled in a larger city environment offers students a chance to be both recognized and independent.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||225 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Business Management, Chemistry, Computer Science, Dance, Economics, Environmental Systems and Societies, Environmental Systems and Society, Extended Essay, Film, Further Mathematics, Global Politics, History, Mathematical Studies, Mathematics: analysis and approaches, Mathematics: applications and interpretation, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Theory of Knowledge, Visual Arts, World Religions, World Studies|
|Average SAT score||1090|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(business casual dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,000|
|Tuition Notes||International student tuition is $37000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||MELISSA BACON|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Rugby, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess Club, Dance, Entrpreneurship Club, Math Team, Mock Trial|
Club or Organization:
Math Team, Model United Nations, Robotics Team
- Newman is a truly international day school with students and faculty who have studied and taught around the world.
- Every day, our students benefit from attentive and experiential learning surrounded by our "the city classroom", in the Back Bay of Boston, the "education" city.
- Vibrant co-curricular programs of sports and activities offer students opportunities for personal growth beyond the classroom.
- Partnerships with the Boston Public Library, Greater Boston YMCA, Community Rowing Club and Community Boating enrich our students' experience.
- The rigor and depth of our academic curriculum provides students distinction in any application process.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-6100 3.1 PK-12
Newman has been a fantastic place for our daughter to learn and grow. The teachers are amazing- engaging, communicative and experienced, with their own impressive educational backgrounds. The new headmaster has been wonderful and has handled the covid-19 crisis extremely well. This is our child's 3rd year at Newman. The location ( Back Bay) affords her the chance to take the T and gain independence. The school has several partnerships with wonderful programs- she sails on the Charles in their Community sailing program, rows at CRI for crew, and has a Y membership as part of the school membership. The curriculum is just the right balance for our child- she's definitely challenged but not swimming in homework or anxiety. The IB degree is widely recognized by colleges as rigorous and is an option for students to start in grade 11. The class sizes are small and teachers are extremely attentive to students. Each student has an advisor that follows their progress throughout the year and teachers are available anytime for extra help.
- Posted by Parent - Kay
it is a very good school, I wish that my daughter will be studied here.
- Posted by Parent - Tuoi, Vu Thi
I graduated from Newman in 1968. My experience at Newman Preparatory School was fantastic. I have many wonderful memories of my time as a student at Newman. The faculty and staff were very helpful - very attentive. Newman opened doors for me academically and professionally.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - swann
I graduated from Newman in 1991 and thought it was a fantastic school. The curriculum was challenging and the rich and diverse student body made up of a large percentage of international students made for an unforgettable experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - abouz
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.