The Peck School
5.00 (9 reviews)
The Peck School Photo #3 - 8th grade helpers volunteer each morning to greet kindergarten students arriving at The Peck School.
The Peck School Photo #5 - Lindenwold Mansion sits at the center of The Peck School's beautiful and historic campus.
The Peck School Photo #6 - At The Peck School, of course, everyone knows your name! More importantly, our small class sizes and 6:1 student to teacher ratio ensures that everyone also knows who you ARE.
The Peck School Photo #7 - We keep the fun in youth sports at The Peck School with an emphasis on good sportsmanship, hard work, and positive coaching.
The Peck School Photo #8 - 90% of The Peck School graduates attend their first choice secondary school. Our graduates matriculate to some of the finest schools in the country.
The Peck School Photo #9 - The Peck School fosters a life-long love of learning and encourages students to be resilient, imaginative, and take responsibility for their education.
- At The Peck School, your child thrives in a community shaped by timeless traditions and timely transformation. Our carefully crafted K-8 program enriches each child's experience by serving as a powerful proving ground, where a child becomes more sooner.
- We set our academic and ethical bars high, and children learn to reach a little further than they thought they could. Our intentionally scaled, close-knit program is grounded in gentle kindness - but is also continually elevating and engaging. From the very start, your child immerses him or herself in our intimate, carefully interlaced program that provides your child with role models worth following - and equips him or her over time with the strength to lead.
- Here, children's character takes root as their minds take flight - and they prepare for whatever tomorrow may bring while loving learning today.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||344 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,990|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from 30,990 (KG) to 36,900 (8th Grade). A healthy financial aid budget is available. Interested families are encouraged to apply.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,500|
|Admissions Director||Erin Gordon Ceder|
|Admissions Associate||Wanda Fiorini|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Field Hockey, Ice Hockey,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Builders Club, Chess, Coding, Friday Fun and Floor Hockey, Golf, Green Team, Guitar Jam, InDeCoRe Club (Character Develo, Junior Book Cooks, Linden (yearbook), Lower School Help, Nifty Knitters, Pinterest Party, Plant-It-Vegetable, Play with Your Food, Project Linus, Star Wars Arts and Crafts, Student Council, Volunteerism Group, Yoga
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Spirit (literary magazine), Drama Club, ImPeckable News (school newspaper), Steel Pan Band
- When it comes to your child, at The Peck School, we see the same things you see. We see a bright young mind, brimming with hope, ready to learn, and eager for new kinds of opportunities. And, as one of the nation`s finest independent, coeducational day schools, our mission is as clear today as it was when we were founded in 1893 - to introduce those bright young minds to even brighter futures.
- Here's How:
- A Challenging Curriculum - Whether it`s in the Upper School (grades 5-8) or the Lower School (grades K-4), our students engage in a carefully crafted curriculum that integrates reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, the sciences, world languages, design thinking. character education, and a variety of creative endeavors such as visual and dramatic arts, music, robotics, and woodworking.
- A Caring Community - Everything we do begins and ends with collaboration. When you enroll your child at Peck, we will share a common goal of embracing your child`s talents, dreams, and hopes for the future. Our community of parents is a vital ingredient to the success we`ve enjoyed for more than a century.
- A Commitment to Character - It may be as simple as an eighth grader holding open a door for a kindergartner. Or great sportsmanship among a group of students at play. At Peck, consideration of others is on display everywhere. Our acclaimed Individual Development and Community Responsibility Program (InDeCoRe) is a major part of this mission, guiding positive character development across our community.
- A Caring, Renowned Faculty - Our teachers inspire, and are inspired by, their students every day. With an average of 15 years work experience, Peck faculty are masters in their field and are skilled at helping your child succeed. Our faculty work individually and as part of teams to assess each student`s strengths and needs, help determine individual goals, and develop strategies for intellectual growth and personal development.
- A Focus on Technology - We emphasize appropriate use of technology throughout our curriculum. From a K-8 robotics curriculum, to our one-to-one laptop program in Upper School, to our state-of-the-art multimedia resources, we are recognized as a leader when it comes to infusing technology into varied learning experiences.
- An Emphasis on Life Skills and Traits - The Life Skills and Traits program at Peck is one of our hallmarks, and is designed to develop, foster, and strengthen in each individual student traits necessary to succeed and thrive in today`s complex and challenging world. These areas include proficiency in public speaking, information literacy, real-world problem solving skills, and an awareness of what it means to be a responsible global citizen. And, more than anything, at Peck you will find a caring and supportive environment that celebrates the distinct talents, perspectives, and dreams of our students.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montclair Grades: PK-12 | 1054 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
(973)746-9800 13.5 PK-12
- Morristown Grades: PK-8 | 434 students
63 Macculloch Ave
Morristown, NJ 07960
(973)538-0590 0.6 PK-8
We love Peck because of its excellent academic program and its commitment to character education. The Peck community believes in the importance of consideration of others, respect, loyalty, perseverance, empathy, responsibility, and honesty and these qualities are truly evident throughout Peck. Our kindergartener comes home from school talking about how he will "preserve' through a problem or about how his little sister needs to show more empathy. The teachers are able to instill these values in the students and thus we feel so thankful that our child is in such a community.
- Posted by Parent - K Parent
We transitioned to Peck from another local independent school and as soon as we stepped on campus we immediately felt at home. Both the faculty and parent community welcomed us with open arms and my boys have made lasting friendships. In addition, Peck`s strong curriculum and exceptional character development program is preparing our boys for high school and beyond. Finally, each teacher truly cares about each student`s individual growth and development and pushes them to be the best they can be every day. We are very happy to be a part of the Peck Community!
- Posted by Parent - Kirstyn B.
Peck has been a great school for my children. The faculty goes above and beyond to get to know each child and how to tailor the program to best teach to them. My children started as very shy Kindergartners and now have gained such confidence to give speeches at assembly or perform in a class play. My children love going to school each day. They know they are loved and valued when they walk through the doors. As a parent I couldn't ask for anything more!
- Posted by Parent - Parent
For kindergarten we wanted to explore our options and take an active role in the selection of a school. We were choosing a kindergarten but we were also conscious that the choice would catalyze the beginning of a multiyear path of growth and development. We were concerned about the lack of engagement and personal development in larger classes at some of the schools we investigated. We went to an open house at The Peck School and during the presentation, I just knew Peck was the school for our children....I was mostly inspired by the values the school adheres to. We found the school our son would thrive at and not be lost in a large crowd. The class sizes are small, the teachers are incredible and the environment is warm and nurturing. Peck allows great minds to be challenged and children to be accepted for their differences while being molded into wholesome young men and women.
- Posted by Parent - JMY
We took the decision to send our children to private school but not without extensive thought and research. When we visited Peck we immediately were impressed with the environment and community. Now as parents we couldn`t be happier with the education, character and enrichment our children are receiving. Being apart of the Peck community feels like a family and the children coexist together as such. It is an amazing place for your children to receive their education.
- Posted by Parent - SS
Tremendous community of caring students, faculty, parents, and alumni. Proud to be a part of The Peck School
- Posted by Administrator - Chris Starr
We have two boys at Peck since kindergarten. They look forward going to school every day. Peck has a rigorous academics, fantastic teachers and a strong emphasis on character development. We are very happy and thankful to be part of the Peck community.
- Posted by Parent - Sharon M
Our family is proud to be a part of the Peck community. Our daughters are excited to go to school every day and feel right at home. Each of their teachers truly understands their individual personality and the best way to help them excel in both academics and other important life skills, including public speaking, collaboration, responsibility and respect. We believe that our children are challenged to be better people every day and have no doubt that Peck will prepare them for success in both high school and beyond.
- Posted by Parent - VHCepeda
We are in our 11th year at Peck and have had an amazing journey. Peck focuses on educating the whole child through academics AND character development. The personalized attention your child receives is noteworthy. Not only do the faculty work hard for your child but the entire staff including Officer Tim who makes sure each day that your child returns safely to your car.
- Posted by Parent - J. Patrick
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.