- At the Waldorf School of Bend, we believe your child-and every child-arrives into this world with gifts, talents, and a life`s purpose.
- Through our vibrant and rigorous academic curriculum-rich in the arts, sciences, and practical works-our students joyfully discover who they want to become. At WSB, we kindle the imagination, encourage critical thinking, and nurture kindness, compassion, and social responsibility.
- As our students unfold and develop their potential, they gain a deep, inner sense of purpose and lifelong confidence to act as citizens of the world.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||105 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No media or logo)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies based on program student is enrolled in.|
|Admissions Director||Sarah Rucker|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Choir/Chorus, Spanish Club, Strings Program, Track and Field Choir/Chorus, Spanish Club, Strings Program,
Track and Field,
- A profound understanding of child development is the cornerstone of teaching and learning at the Waldorf School of Bend. Your child`s experience at WSB is specifically tailored to meet his or her changing sense of self and relationship to the world. Our curriculum is interdisciplinary, relevant, and timely-to ensure that our students are equipped to fully participate in the possibilities and challenges of our ever-changing world.
- Early Childhood
- Our youngest children are nurtured in a warm, beautiful, and loving environment in our preschool and kindergarten classes by early childhood teachers who are specifically trained to meet the needs of very young children.Our early childhood teachers help your preschool or kindergarten child to feel secure, protected, and confident-grounded in the consistency of our daily, weekly, and seasonal rhythms and activities. Through daily outdoor free play and creative exploration, we aspire to cultivate a love of-and respect for-our natural world.Young children learn through imitation and play. Our teachers model respect and reverence in their interactions with your child. Our play-based curriculum is substantiated by research from the American Academy of Pediatrics that states play is integral for a healthy childhood, and necessary for social and intellectual development when formal academics begin in the grade school.Children attending the Early Childhood program at the Waldorf School of Bend are prepared for future academic challenges as they engage their will through meaningful, practical activities and develop language through story, song, and verse. By the time he or she enters first grade, your child is ready and eager to experience the intellectual rigors of the grades curriculum.
- Grade School (1-6)
- The grade school offers a classical education that is rich in hands-on, artistic learning. The curriculum is truly interdisciplinary, as students explore and draw connections across the subjects. Core subjects are designed in blocks of three to four weeks, enabling the students to focus intensively on one subject at a time.Science, math, language arts, history, and the full range of academic subjects are enhanced and supported by chorus, painting, beeswax and clay modeling, dramatic plays, movement, and practical arts such as woodworking, knitting, crocheting, and sewing. This challenging, vibrant curriculum allows our students to learn in their own innate styles, and to build upon their own emerging capabilities.Ideally, your child will stay with the same teacher and class for the first six years, which inspires meaningful relationships and a sense of community among students, families, and teachers. As your child`s teacher moves with them from grade to grade, they are able to integrate the entire six-year main lesson curriculum-while also creating a learning environment of comfort and trust.Students create their own main lesson books from the material the teacher and students discover together through experiential learning. As students move up in grades, reference books, classic literature, and group discussion increasingly supplement presentations and include, but are not limited to, book reports, scientific experiments, research papers and field trips.
- Junior High School (7-9)
- Our upper grades liberal arts curriculum prepares your child for the academic rigors of high school and college by providing a challenging scope and depth of subjects that include: mathematics, the sciences, language arts, geography, social studies and the fine, performing, and practical arts.Because Waldorf curriculum is experiential and interdisciplinary, students spend considerable time building solid foundations and capacities in critical and cooperative thinking. They are able to do so by actively engaging in the classroom, in the lab, on the playing field, on stage, and in our natural environment.Subjects are taught in concert, not isolation, to further demonstrate the interconnectedness of the disciplines presented. Approaching a subject from a variety of perspectives provides our students with a multi-faceted understanding of complex issues and a more global approach to real world applications and concepts.Nine subjects are taught in block rotations, with specialty classes, field trips, and lab classes supporting and deepening learning. Our students do not just memorize subjects, but experience and fully engage with the material. Your upper grade student at WSB is prepared for high school as a confident, compassionate, resilient, and well-rounded individual with a capacity for creative, flexible, independent thought.
- Class Size
- Our intimate class sizes allow students to develop meaningful relationships with their peers and teachers. Your child learns in a cooperative and trusting environment and is often challenged to consider ethical and socially responsible components of his or her studies. These discoveries are carried into adulthood, as they make connections and choices as a citizen of the world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BendGrades: PK-8 | 302 students
19660 SW Mountaineer Way
Bend, OR 97702
BendGrades: PK-12 | 321 students
2550 NE Butler Market Road
Bend, OR 97701
BendGrades: PK-12 | 191 students
19860 Tumalo Reservoir Road
Bend, OR 97703
BendGrades: PK-8 | 147 students
19741 Baker Rd
Bend, OR 97702
Our family loves this school which integrates its academics with music, art, language, handwork and movement. Our children are thriving in this nurturing environment and we love the close knit community of educators, parents and administration.
- Posted by Parent - rhrud