Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked OR School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 251 students
- Yearly Tuition: $19,100
- Acceptance rate: 65%
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 25 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Cascades Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Club or Organization:
After-school Outdoor Sports, Chess Club, Makerspace Club, Robotics Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Running Club, Ski and snowboarding program, Ultimate Frisbee
Cascades Academy is an engaged, vibrant community that weaves challenging academics with experiential learning to inspire socially responsible individuals ready for a diverse and changing world.
Cascades Academy was founded in 2003 in order to fulfill the need for an independent, PK-12 college preparatory school in Central Oregon. The school is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Cascades Academy offers a challenging college preparatory curriculum that integrates experiential learning, outdoor education, arts, and service learning. Small class sizes allow teachers to discover every student's unique potential - finding the right balance of challenge and support to help each student excel in a caring and dynamic community.
All grade levels have instruction in language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, Spanish, art, music, and technology. In addition, we offer the following specialty classes:
- K-5: Storyline and Fitness (swimming, gymnastics, skiing/snowboarding)
- 6-8: Health & Fitness (yoga, skiing/snowboarding, field games, indoor soccer) and Clubs (guitar, computer programming, photography, First-Aid/CPR, woodworking)
- 9-12: Internships, Mastery Projects and Electives (documentary film, wilderness skills, The New Yorker, running, filmmaking, lyric writing)
We often get asked about what "experiential learning" means and how do we "do it". To us, experiential learning means that the students are engaged in their learning. They are active. They are outdoors. They are solving problems independently and/or collaboratively. They fail or succeed, but they are not afraid to fail. They reflect about what they have learned, and the learning sticks because of their engagement. "Studying for the test" seldom supports learning that lasts. Active learning supports creativity and deeper understanding. This learning can take many forms. Some examples include:
- Storyline Method - Lower School
- Guest speakers who present real-world expertise in their field - Grades K-12
- Independent Projects - Grades 5 and 8
- Mastery Projects - Upper School
- Robotics - Grades 4-5
- Science Fair - Middle School
- Confluence Leadership Orientation (3 days) - Middle and Upper School
- Opal Creek Orientation (3 days) - Grades 4-5
- Fall Traveling School (one week) - Upper School
- Autumn Outings (3 days) - Middle School
- Spring Traveling School (one week) - Grades 2-12
- Outdoor School - Lower School
- Weekly Thursday Afternoon Outdoor Adventures and Expeditions - Middle and Upper School
- Service Learning
- 100% of students participate in our service-learning program. Community service partners include: The American Red Cross, Deschutes River Trail, Bend Community Center, Fox Hollow Retirement Community, Humane Society of Central Oregon, Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, and many other organizations. Students have the opportunity to choose the organizations with whom they would like to work, keeping them engaged in the service and dedicated to the outcomes.
- Grades: Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade
- Faculty and Staff: 39 full & part-time faculty and staff
- Student Body: 205 (PK-12)
- Target Class Size: 12 in PK, 16 in K, 18 in 1st-8th, 20 in 9th-12th
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Cascades Academy cost?
Cascades Academy's tuition is approximately $19,100 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Cascades Academy?
The acceptance rate of Cascades Academy is 65%, which is lower than the national average of 88%. Cascades Academy's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Oregon with low acceptance rates.
What sports does Cascades Academy offer?
Cascades Academy offers 8 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Track and Field and Volleyball. Cascades Academy is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for most sports offered.
What is Cascades Academy's ranking?
Cascades Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for: Lowest average acceptance rates, Largest student body and Most sports offered.
When is the application deadline for Cascades Academy?
The application deadline for Cascades Academy is Jan. 25 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 25 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Cascades Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards