The Wellington School
- Founded in 1982 by a group of entrepreneurs, The Wellington School was the first coeducational, independent school in Columbus, Ohio. Today, students in preschool through grade 12 benefit from small classes as they have the extraordinary opportunity to dive deeply into their pursuit of knowledge and discover the joy of lifelong learning.
- Wellington's inclusive environment fosters educational excellence, prioritizes individual inquiry, ignites curiosity and creativity, promotes social responsibility, and prepares students to lead in an evolving global community.
The Wellington School places among the top 20% of private schools in Ohio for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||658 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin Literature, Latin Vergil, Music Theory, Physics, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Studio Art, United States History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(MacEwan plaid, red/white/navy polo shirts, khakis)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Maryline Michel Kulewicz|
|Admissions Associate||Dara Jackson|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Diving, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisBaseball, Basketball,|
- Wellington develops courageous young minds inspired and prepared to positively impact the world.
- While standardization and larger class sizes have brought traditional education to a grinding halt, Wellington students thrive in a multicultural and inclusive environment that fosters their innate intellectual curiosity.
- Wellington's forward-thinking curriculum pushes students to take ownership of their learning and move beyond textbooks and classroom walls, where devoted, world-class faculty guide them through a bold, new approach to achieving academic excellence.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Columbus Grades: NS-12 | 1121 students
4300 Cherry Bottom Road
Columbus, OH 43230
(614) 509-2220 9.6 NS-12
- Columbus Grades: PK-8 | 317 students
2940 Parkside Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 279-9935 6 PK-8
By far the best private school in Columbus. Excellent out of classroom enrichment and academics. They are masterful at addressing and nurturing the whole child and incorporating trendsetting ideas and philosophies into the curriculum. Where else do students learn and apply Dweck's Mindset or learn about the science/art of happiness?
- Posted by Parent - GoJags
From preschool to high school, our children have thrived at Wellington. They are challenged, supported, and engaged. I am amazed at the opportunities for learning and growing.
- Posted by Parent - Jeff
We cannot imagine any other place for our family. We love all that Wellington has to offer its students!
- Posted by Parent - Mary
Our three children have thrived over the years at Wellington. They are challenged, engaged, and curious. The community feels like family and the teachers are truly innovative.
- Posted by Parent - OH peach
Our son loves Wellington: his classroom and summer options experiences have been wonderful. We initially choose The Wellington school for its promise of an innovative, individualized learning environment. Not only have they lived up to this promise, but we have joined a true community focused on our children's learning. He has been challenged intellectually and creatively by a staff of caring teachers. At four, he talked of being at Wellington until he goes to college. We cannot imagine any other place for him to grow and learn.
- Posted by Parent - daooa
All three of my children attended Wellington K-12, and we could not have had a better experience. The innovative curriculum truly prepared my children for TODAYS world, where the demands are not about what you memorize, but how you learn, communicate and collaborate. Wellington provided my children with the confidence to be their best selves, to be curious about the world, with a grounding of solid midwest values. All three have had/are having successful college experiences. All three play/ed college athletics (including Division 1). All three are out in the world engaged in meaningful, global experiences. For the better part of our time at Wellington, I was a single mom. The environment was so incredibly supportive, truly partnering with me to help me raise my kids. I am forever grateful. I am an entrepreneur/business owner for over 30 years; I have worked with many Fortune 500 leaders in my life, and I can honestly say the leadership of this school is top notch. The school continues to get better and better. I hope someday I''ll have grandchildren who will have the chance to go to Wellington.
- Posted by Parent - nkram
We have been at Wellington for 4 years. Our son is in the Lower School. The teachers, including the specials teachers (art, music, PE, French, library, guidance, technology, Science), are caring, talented and dedicated professionals. They are passionate about teaching and get to know each student individually. The school is committed to challenging students, offering outside-the-classroom experiences (gardening, skiing, swimming, park and museum visits, etc.), and integrating learning across disciplines. The school community is very warm and welcoming, and there are many opportunities for families to be involved, whether through volunteering, reading or sharing with classes, or attending school events (breakfasts, lunch bunch, holiday sing, speakers, book discussions, etc.). We are very happy with Wellington and would highly recommend visiting and speaking with current families to learn more about whether the school would be a good fit for your family.
- Posted by Parent - Kmtro