West Nottingham Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (410) 658-5556
- West Nottingham Academy (WNA) is a small college-preparatory boarding and day school for grades 9-12 and post graduates, conveniently located in Northeastern Maryland and a one hour drive from both Baltimore and Philadelphia.
- Founded in 1744, WNA is the oldest boarding school in America.
- Our student body is approximately 20% day and 80% boarding, with 50% of our students coming from more than 18 countries around the world.
- If you are ready to be part of a unique and challenging school that will prepare you for college and the rest of your life, then we just might be the right fit for you! At West Nottingham we love helping students who enjoy learning, being challenged, and sharing their educational journey with others.
- WNA is home to the highly regarded Chesapeake Learning Center, which works with approximately 10% of our population diagnosed with mild learning differences.
- Our Artist-in-Residence program provides students in all grade levels the chance to work with three differentprofessional artists each year through our partnernship with the New York Academy of Art.
- Studets passionate about sustainabiltiy, fine arts, and STEM/STEAM can pursue one of our signature programs in these areas. Please inquire for more information!
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to Moderate Learning Differences|
|Total Students||130 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|Average SAT score||1110|
|Average ACT score||21|
|Average Percentile SSAT||48%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(polo shirts & khakis)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 10 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,600|
|Tuition Notes||$18,600 Day Student Tuition (2018-19) $49,500 Boarding School Tuition (2018-19)|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jessica Warren|
|Admissions Associate||Corinne Kahler|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, WeightliftingBadminton, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Robotics, Service Learning, Student Environmental Council, Student Government Association, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Ensemble, Chorus, Drama/Theatre Club, Photography
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- North East Grades: K-12 | 423 students
581 S Maryland Ave
North East, MD 21901
(410) 287-2050 9.1 K-12
- Aberdeen Grades: PK-8 | 208 students
230 S Law Street
Aberdeen, MD 21001
(410) 272-1387 12.1 PK-8
West Nottingham is a great small community with a lot of love and support from both the students and faculty. I love being a boarding student at WNA! It's great to feel as though you are right at home on campus. Unlike most schools, we have a lot of children running around campus! The teachers are more than educators; they act as a second family! The personalized attention is perfect for all the students, especially you don't fully understand a topic during class. The teachers are always available for you! WNA offers many fun activities on the weekends for both boarding and day students! Students don't have to be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions, the administrators are always open to new ideas!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mckay
West Nottingham offers a really diverse and accepting environment that you won't receive at most schools. People who are different at WNA and greeted with open arms. The small classes really help with learning. Being in a small school really helps you with knowing everyone. It's not one of those schools where you pass kids in the hallways and don't even know their name. All of the weekend field trips are a bonus. I highly recommend West Nottingham for anyone who wishes to seek a higher level of education within a warm, and welcoming community.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - nsmit
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.