- Founded in 1886, the Winsor School is an independent day school for academically motivated and promising girls in grades 5-12.
- Winsor offers a rigorous academic program balanced by the arts and physical education in an environment of warmth and personal attention.
- As a community, Winsor cherishes respect and generosity of spirit, and its mission underscores its commitment to diversity. Its size means girls build lasting friendships, and it encourages each girl to realize her own uniqueness and promise.
Winsor School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 5-12|
|Total Students||471 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1412|
|Average ACT score||32|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$50,300|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$39,358|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Pamela Parks McLaurin|
|Admissions Associate||Jennifer Toon|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBasketball, Crew,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Field Hockey, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Debate, Engineering Clubs, Literary Magazines, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Newspaper, Spectrum, Student Councils, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Choral Groups, Drama
- Winsor is set on a seven-acre campus in Boston, and makes frequent use of the city's resources. Facilities include the expansive new Lubin-O'Donnell Center for Performing Arts, Athletics and Wellness, which opened in 2015; the Virginia Wing Library with 27,000 volumes plus access to 850 periodicals; a multi-media language lab; three computer labs; three art studios; seven science laboratories; and two turf playing fields.
- The Lower School comprises grades 5 through 8. In this supportive environment, teachers foster natural curiosity through active, hands-on lessons.
- The Upper School is an energetic learning community of ninth through twelfth graders. The faculty stretches girls to think logically, creatively, and compassionately and to take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
- At all levels, students enjoy dedicated, caring teachers who know their subjects intimately.
- Beyond the classroom, clubs, the arts, and sports offer ways for girls to explore interests. Winsor offers teams in 14 sports and has more than 30 clubs. Girls approach extracurriculars passionately, and have won national honors in debate, engineering, and choral competitions.
- Girls also work with boys from Belmont Hill and Roxbury Latin schools on coordinated drama, music, and newspaper activities.
- The majority of students go on to attend the nation's most selective colleges and universities. An experienced College Counselor guides and supports girls through the process. In the last five years, students' most common college choices were Harvard, Boston College, Yale, MIT, UPenn, Wesleyan, Georgetown, George Washington, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Columbia, Brown and Dartmouth.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 980 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617)898-1798 6.1 K-12
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617)547-6100 2.6 PK-12
- Newton Grades: 5-12 | 409 students
785 Centre St
Newton, MA 02458
(617)244-4246 4.2 5-12