Academy Hill School
5.00 (8 reviews)
- Academy Hill School provides an intellectual, principled, creative, and enriching foundation for gifted and high-potential students to become the next visionaries, innovators, and leaders by:
- Identifying and cultivating the talents in each student through creative, challenging, and differentiated programs.
- Building character, citizenship, and confidence in students. Encouraging and enabling creative and critical thought and actions.
- Providing students with the skills to succeed in future academic and professional environments.
- The Academy Hill student is bright, curious, enthusiastic about learning, inquisitive, creative and motivated.
- We offer modern World Languages, as well as Classics and Latin to all students.
- We use the Singapore Math curriculum, in preparation for a sequence of high school pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry at 6, 7 and 8 grades.
- We offer full-day pre-kindergarten for 3 and 4 year olds.
- Our core curriculum includes art, music, and physical education.
- We offer afterschool and summer enrichment camps and programs for students and friends.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
National Association for the Gifted
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$275|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer Spark program runs three weeks in June. Each week is 275|
|Total Students||86 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Average Percentile SSAT||84%|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 22 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rate varies by grade level. PreK rate is $11,250. Kindergarten rate is $13,700. Elementary rate is $15,450. Middle School rate is $15,750. Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
|Admissions Director||Kathleen Burke|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Baking, Chess Club, Coding Class, Community Service, Knitting Club, Math Clubs, Robotics Program, SSAT Preparation Class, Yearbook (Middle School)
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama/Theater, Enrichment Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Welcome to Academy Hill School! Academy Hill has been a proud leader in the education of enthusiastic, motivated students for over 30 years. At AHS, we harness our children's natural curiosity and help build a lifelong passion for learning and doing in an environment rich in encouragement and opportunities. I invite you to visit our website and schedule a tour. Please take time to learn more about our extraordinary faculty, our premier programs and our talented students.
- We believe in our mission to enhance the educational experience for our students through rigorous, engaging, personalized curricular and co-curricular programs. Our teachers harness the talents and gifts each child exhibits, and help to guide every child to find new and creative ways to access knowledge, interpret content, and develop and present ideas.
- Academy Hill offers our students opportunities to interact with the world as they develop skills that will continue to benefit them, the community and our society. Our "Good Morning Show" and "Forum" programs ask all students from Kindergarten through Grade 8 to conduct research and present publicly on subjects of their choice multiple times each year. Enrichment Clusters allow the entire student body to explore and experience topics with tremendous depth and genuine authenticity. Service opportunities, extension offerings, and participation in academically-based celebrations such as Classics Day encourage our students to experience the world in uniquely tangible ways.
- A classical humanities education paired with 21st century readiness skills is at the core of what we believe our students receive at Academy Hill. French, Spanish, Latin, fine and performing arts, and a systemic approach to research and oral presentation skills separate Academy Hill from other educational environments. Our small class sizes, attention to relationships, and the inclusion of families in our programs have combined to create strong, successful early education, elementary and middle school offerings for our students.We thank you for taking the time to learn about what makes Academy Hill uniquely special.
- Best wishes,
- Melissa Earls
- Head of School
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Springfield Grades: NS-12 | 347 students
965 Plumtree Road
Springfield, MA 01119
(413)782-8031 4.1 NS-12
- Springfield Grades: NS-6 | 99 students
1524 Parker Street
Springfield, MA 01129
(413)782-3108 4.9 NS-6
- Springfield Grades: K | 1 students
594 Cottage St
Springfield, MA 01104
(413)737-6617 2.8 K
- Springfield Grades: 1-12 | 27 students
91 Old Acre Rd
Springfield, MA 01129
(413)783-0567 4.8 1-12
- Springfield Grades: PK-8 | 137 students
36 Margaret Street
Springfield, MA 01105
(413)739-3616 2.7 PK-8
I love Academy Hill School. We could not have asked for a better experience for our children. The cornerstone to Academy Hill is the "Good Morning Show", and a component of the GMS is that the students in K-5 make a presentation of their own choosing. The students get great experience researching a topic of their choice, and presenting it to their friends. I've seen topics range from "What type of Hockey Stick is Better" to "Dolphins" to "Women's Rights". It really allows the children to explore a topic on their own with the guidance of a teacher and their parents. It is an amazing experience to watch! (n.b. After 5th grade, GMS turns into Forum, where the topics are selected, but the students get to choose an aspect of the topic that they want to talk about.) Academy Hill is a very nurturing environment with high expectations of their students. The teachers work with each individual student and try to build on their weaknesses and celebrate their strengths. The small environment makes sure that no student isn't given the right amount of attention. The teachers are all high quality and each feels like the best teacher for that grade! These students can easily go on (and excel!) at prestigious prep schools, if they choose. Students have gone on to Deerfield Academy, Williston-Northampton, and Suffield Academy. Being at Academy Hill opens up many paths for its students!
- Posted by Parent - Happy Parent
I am so happy we found AHS. The school places a strong emphasis on nurturing the curiosity and intellect of the students. Because of the small class sizes, the teachers are able to tailor the curriculum to each child's ability and interests. For example, my son is given more challenging math problems because he has shown interest and skill. In addition, there are many fantastic after school programs that further enhance the learning experience. They range from fine arts to robotics. The kids are welcomed into a respectful environment that gives them the best opportunity to learn and grow.
- Posted by Parent - sbprp
Sending our son to Academy Hill was the best decision we ever made. Ryan was getting lost in the shuffle in his large, elementary school classroom, but ever since we made the switch to AHS he has blossomed! The small classroom size and nurturing environment has given him the confidence to actively engage in classroom activities - what a joy to see! The best part is that he is surrounded each and every day by other children who love to learn, and the spark it's ignited in Ryan will carry him throughout his academic life.
- Posted by Parent - lauri
We have been thrilled with Academy Hill. The teachers, administration and even the support staff are professional, responsive and caring. We felt like part of the Academy Hill family from the very first visit to the campus and our daughter has blossomed since moving to AHS from another local private school. We have been amazed at how well the faculty and staff communicate with us on a regular basis. The class sizes are very small, allowing for our daughter to have a very individualized experience. She is able to grow - intellectually, creatively, and socially - every day. We highly recommend Academy Hill for anyone looking for a exceptional educational experience.
- Posted by Parent - bcdim
Excellent school! Would highly recommend !!!! A +++
- Posted by Parent - balar
My daughter has been a student at Academy Hill School for the past 6 years and we have had a wonderful experience. The student/teacher ratio, curriculum, and individual attention given to each student are above and beyond what you will encounter in other schools. I would highly recommend!
- Posted by Parent - btweg
I would highly recommend this school for any parent looking for an advanced curriculum and caring environment for their motivated child. I have 3 children that have attended Academy Hill and they are all well prepared for their future successes.
- Posted by Parent - wegs7
My child was always "a little ahead" but not way ahead. After only one year at Academy Hill School he grew so much. When he entered Kindergarten he could not read but was ahead in Math. By the end of the first grade he was doing third grade math and reading near third grade level. This is a credit to the teachers. They know how teach to the student and not just to the masses. I can not say enough about how good AHS is.
- Posted by Parent - ronny
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.