Arete Preparatory Academy
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 6-12
- Average class size: 6 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Arete Preparatory Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
Academics and Faculty
Finances and Admission
Ethics Bowl Team, Robotics Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Rock Band, Theatre Arts
- Philosophical Thinking - Philosophical questions and methods underlie our teaching. Our students learn to do philosophy: challenging widely-held beliefs, exposing hidden assumptions and synthesizing disparate claims and propositions. Having escaped the chains of conventional thinking, a philosophically-trained mind is equipped to innovate, disrupt, and inspire a toolkit for a challenging world.
- The Arete Seminar - An Arete Seminar is so much more than just a small class. Built on a foundation of open communication and mutual respect, our Seminars represent a shared goal: to create a place where profound reflection and innovative risk-taking are encouraged and celebrated. Instead of competing for attention and points, students engage in thoughtful, provocative questioning and work together to deepen and expand discourse. At the same time, the Arete Seminar is pensively playful a rare place where a student can revel in the satisfaction and fun of learning while also developing a powerful academic identity and voice.
- Symposium - Both a celebration and a challenge, Symposium is the embodiment of the Arete spirit and pedagogy a meaningful, transformative alternative to final exams. Consistent with our commitment to "choice and voice," students select their own topics based on a unifying, school-wide philosophical question or theme. They become researchers and teachers, learning to produce substantive, idea-focused academic papers. After an exhilarating and rewarding week of exploration and writing, students transform their papers into interactive, creative presentations that bring their ideas to life for an authentic audience of Arete students, teachers and the community at large.
- High expecations with a high level of support - Learning consists of two parts the "what" and the "how." While some of the "what" will stick with students, this crucial stage should place strong emphasis on shaping how students learn, how they perceive themselves as soon-to-be lifetime scholars, and - most crucially - how they use resources to tackle challenging problems. For these reasons, we believe school can't be truly challenging without a high level of academic and personal support.
- Beyond Grades: Evaluating For Mastery - At Arete, we don't simply teach to the test or quiz; we teach toward lasting understanding. Rather than assessing in a way that allows students to memorize the night before and forget everything the next week, we use authentic assessments to find out just how comprehensively students grasp the material.Through deep dive evaluations instead of your average, forgettable "tests," students demonstrate what they've learned in brainy, creative, and oft-entertaining ways.
- Arete emphasizes socioeconomic and cultural diversity. We actively recruit bright students that lack the financial means to attend a private school with our sliding-scale tuition. 30% of our students obtain financial aid and through our Scholarship Fund.
Endorse Arete Preparatory Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards