Arete Preparatory Academy
- Arete Preparatory Academy is WASC accreditated a private high school and middle school located in West Los Angeles.
- As a deliberately small school with a student population of 60 we enjoy close contact with all students and parents.
- Seminar-sized classes allow us to meet individual needs and passions.
- At the cutting edge of 21st century education, our inquiry-driven, seminar-style classes inspire students to analyze, question, debate, reimagine and synthesize all in the context of a rigorous, comprehensive college preparatory program. Guided by a passionate faculty, our students deepen their intellectual identities, upend existing paradigms, and forge inspirational solutions.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Stacey Kovoloff|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Sports||Cross CountryCross Country|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ethics Bowl Team, Robotics Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Rock Band, Theatre Arts
- Aporia -The singular goal of the Arete learning experience is aporia, a Greek concept referring to state of intellectual openness. For Socrates and his followers, aporia represented an epiphany of not-knowing, a realization that one`s superficial learning is not the same as genuine understanding. Aporia is a joyous moment of revelation, the first step toward true wisdom. Through our inquiry-based teaching and Socratic questioning (both instructor-to-student and peer-to-peer) Arete students learn to let go of their prior, fact-focused concept of mastery and hold themselves to a higher level of insight and understanding.
- Philosophical Thinking - Our students learn to do philosophy questioning widely-held beliefs, exposing hidden assumptions, and synthesizing disparate claims and propositions. Having escaped the chains of everyday thinking, a philosophically-trained thinker is equipped to innovate, disrupt, and inspire a leader`s skill set. A capacity for deep, probing inquiry the heart of our innovative methodology creates graduates eager to embrace the difficult, often nuanced challenges of the 21st century.Philosophical questions and methods underlie all academic disciplines, from mathematics to the humanities. Arete's Great Ideas Program, our curiosity-driven, four-year philosophy requirement, pushes students to grapple with problems and ideas at the forefront of human inquiry. Do we have free will? What form of government is most aligned with human nature? Is morality relative? How can we know right from wrong? Is scientific knowledge "privileged" over other ways of knowing? What drives religious belief and fervor? Is true artificial intelligence possible? In collaboration with the Great Ideas faculty, teachers in all disciplines craft courses built around philosophical questions and methodology.
- The Arete Seminar - At Arete, our Seminars are exceptionally small, allowing for truly individualized learning and assessment.But an Aret Seminar is much more than just a small class.Built on a foundation of open communication and mutual respect, the Seminar represents a shared goal: to create a place where profound reflection and innovative risk-taking are encouraged and celebrated. Instead of competing for attention and points, students engage in thoughtful, provocative questioning and work together to deepen and expand discourse. At the same time, the Aret Seminar is "pensively playful" a rare place where a student can focus on the satisfaction and fun of learning while also developing a powerful academic identity and voice.
- Symposium - Both a celebration and a challenge, Symposium is the quarterly embodiment of the Arete spirit and pedagogy a meaningful, transformative alternative to final exams. Consistent with our commitment to "choice and voice," students select their own topics based on a unifying, school-wide philosophical question or theme. They become researchers and teachers, learning to produce substantive, idea-focused academic papers and presentations the real currency of academic achievement in college and beyond. Students learn to read academic sources, extracting arguments and facts in support of their own philosophical theses and claims. With close faculty guidance, they are taught to make persuasive, cogent arguments backed by well-chosen, correctly cited sources. After an exhilarating and rewarding week of exploration and writing, students transform their papers into interactive presentations that bring their ideas to life for an authentic audience of Aret students, teachers and the community at large. Having developed the skill set to succeed in Symposium, our graduates report being exceptionally well prepared for the demands of writing-intensive university courses.
- A One-of-a-Kind Pre-Professional Certificate Program in
Coding and Video Game Design -
- Coding instruction tailored to game design
- Students are creating video games from day one
- Guest speakers from and tours of local gaming companies
- Summer internships at gaming companies
- The opportunity to graduate with a Video Game Programming
- Authentic Assessment - At Arete, we don`t teach to a test or quiz; we teach toward lasting understanding. Assessments are designed to showcase and encourage students` critical thinking skills, as well as their creative talents. Authentic assessments provide a comprehensive view of a student`s understanding of the material. Students synthesize knowledge, information and skills learned while exhibiting deeper insights. Our approach allows students to express and continue to develop a range of intelligences-critical for success in college and in the 21st century workplace.
- Arete emphasizes socioeconomic and cultural diversity. 40% of our students obtain financial aid and through our Scholarship Fund we actively recruit bright students that lack the financial means to attend a private school.
- Middle School - Arete Preparatory Academy opens its doors in 2019-2020 to middle school students eager to develop their minds and embark on unique, deeply meaningful educational and creative paths.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: 7-12 | 99 students
11801 Mississippi Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310)478-5544 0.4 7-12
- Los Angeles Grades: 3-12 | 108 students
12101 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)751-1100 2.9 3-12
- Los Angeles Grades: PK-12 | 354 students
4160 Grand View Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)751-1101 2.8 PK-12
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 725 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)397-3134 2.6 K-12
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 693 students
11811 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310)478-7189 0.4 K-12
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.