Angeles Workshop School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Angeles Workshop School is a progressiveprivatemiddleandhighschool for students seeking anauthenticeducationfreefromtraditional constraints, wherelearnersgrowthroughreal-worldexperience and applications, informedby adeeplove andrespectfor themselves, each other, andthegreatercommunity as awhole.We are anexperiential,humanisticeducation-based programthatforgoes thetrappings ofconventionalschool in exchange fortrueownership of thelearningprocess: choiceand controlareresponsibly shared with alllearners,and studentsself-evaluateinorder to best understand andvaluetheirindividuallearningprocesses.
- Our learners' experiences go far beyond thewallsoftheclassroom,expanding their educational andsocialinteractionsintothe great cityof Los Angeles itself; at"TheWorkshop",hands-onprojects andacademically rich field tripsarethe rulerather thantheexception.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||20 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Sliding Scale: app. 10% of Gross Family Income|
|Admissions Director||Dr. Ndindi Kitonga|
- On Our Philosophy and Curriculum:
- In keeping with the humanisticeducationapproach,AngelesWorkshopSchool believes that thecognitive andtheaffective areindivisible--simply put, a learner'sfeelingsandconcerns, aswell as theirinterests, are wholly tiedintohoweffectively theythinkand learn.This is why we design andadaptourcurriculaaround our students,instead of forcing themintorigid,"top-down"assignments and tests.Within thisexcitingapproach, ourteachersmaintain a dynamiccurriculum richwithavenues forrigorousinquiry, built aroundchallenging contentandskillsetsthatprepare learners for realsuccess inhighereducation,theworkplace, and our ever-changingworld.
- As a school adapted from manyhumanisticeducationalbeliefs,weare dramatically, refreshinglydifferent. Hereare afewways:
- No Bells.Time is managed organically,withstudentinputandconsensus. The teacher helpspresenteducationalobjectives,and thestudents collaborate toformagreements andtimelinesregarding theprocess by whichthoseobjectives will bemet.Without a belldictating the division oftheschool day,Workshopstudents canbecome deeply involved withtheirwork andclaimownership of thelearning process,transitioningthroughsubjectsin a moreintellectually andemotionallycomfortablemanner.
- No Homework.In keeping withthehumanisticvalueofself-evaluation, the Workshop does notassignhomework.Familytimeis respected. A student is trusted tochoosehowtheywillspendtheir evening; we find that many studentsworkbetterontheiracademics after school when they genuinely wanttolearnmoreaboutthose topics, not when they are forced to doso.
- No Tests.Students learn and perform at their bestwhentheyarenotunder stress. We believe inauthentic,alternativeassessmentsthat arethen used by the studenttoself-assess. Ifstudentschoosetofamiliarize themselveswithtraditionalandstandardized tests aspreparation forfutureinstitutions,teacherssupport them, drawingupon theirbackgroundsas AP and SATPrepteachers.
- Self-Grading.At set periods, studentsself-assesswiththeguidanceof rubrics, portfolios and critiques,guidedbytheteacher. Thisresults in a more authentic reflectiononthevalueof the student'slearning process. TraditionallettergradesofA,B,C, or Fail are used,if only to givematriculatingstudentstheoption of carrying atranscript with lettergrades onit.
- City Days. Thursdays we spend "inthefield":working,studying,exploring and interacting with the cityanditsendlesscivic,cultural and natural environs.OnCityDays,theWorkshopreally takesadvantage of its "adoptedcampus"-- ourgreatcity.After just afive minute walk to the ExpoCulverCityStation, weexplore andengage with the full range ofwhatLosAngeles has tooffer. Whetherwe are launching modelrocketsnextto the SpaceShuttle atExposition Park for ourPhysicslesson,taking notes andphotos atthe Downtown Art Walkforapresentation, ororderingpaletasinSpanish from alocalstreetvendor, Workshopstudents take advantageof our city'scivicrevivalto maximumeducational effect.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: 1-11 | 12 students
2528 Canyon Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90068
(323)467-6659 7.9 1-11
- Inglewood Grades: 2-12 | 107 students
260 N Locust St
Inglewood, CA 90301
(310)412-0520 4.9 2-12
- Los Angeles Grades: PK-12 | 354 students
4160 Grand View Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)751-1101 2.4 PK-12
Angeles Workshop School literally saved my life and the life of my Boys. After coming off a log Motorhome trip, 5 years, with home schooling and hands on learning, we just couldn't place our young men into the system to be indoctrinated. We wanted our boys to learn to think and not just follow. Angeles Workshop School is just that place. Through their learning from roll playing games, real world experience through field trip and so much more. If you are thinking about having your Children in a loving place where they will learn to love learning, this is the place.
- Posted by Parent - Kelwin Hagen
An amazing school that recognized my daughter's learning style. The faculty is top notch and very attentive to the students needs.
- Posted by Parent - Ame
Like a progressive European school that values creativity and individuality as much as it values textbook learning. Small, but family-like. Owners/operators are a PhD and an ex-AP English teacher. Genuinely inclusive of all backgrounds and tuition is priced right.
- Posted by Parent - Zachary
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
Your school's website and your social media sites are essential tools in your marketing program.
Choosing the right private school for your child is a lengthy process. I want you to achieve the success which you deserve without making these common mistakes other parents have made.