Bishop Mcdevitt High School
- As a community composed of teachers and students missioned to continue the Catholic Faith, we proclaim the Gospel of Christ, value each individual, and commit ourselves to promoting self-disciplined learning in which all aspire toward lifelong personal growth.
- We are truly unique because we come from the many municipalities of the Harrisburg Area, encompassing urban, suburban, and small town areas.
- We come from various racial, ethnic, and religious heritages as well as from different social, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- We aim to create an atmosphere that enables our students to acquire skills and knowledge, to develop physical and aesthetic potentials and to form moral, social and cultural standards.
- We believe these values help our students develop self-reliance, self expression and an appreciation of their vocation to become active, articulate and contributing members of our local, national and world communities.
- We strive within our environment to create a climate enlivened by the Gospel Spirit.
- In this environment, we share with one another and encourage each other to be what God intended us to be.
- We envision a life in which faith can gradually mature; hope can become realistic and firm; and charity can be evidence in a caring community which is willing to be of service to the human family.
- Instruction in religious truth and values is an integral part of the school program.
- It is perceived and functions as the underlying reality in which the students' experiences of learning and living achieve their coherence and their deepest meaning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||736 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Hummelstown Grades: NS-12 | 272 students
1525 Sand Hill Road
Hummelstown, PA 17036
(717)533-4900 6.9 NS-12
- Harrisburg Grades: 2-12 | 43 students
1745 N Cameron St
Harrisburg, PA 17103
(717)238-6980 4.6 2-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.