Bishop O Dowd High School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #2 - We are a Catholic college preparatory school, with strong academics, extra-curricular activities and athletics.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #3 - Bishop O'Dowd has a phenomenal athletics program. With 57 teams, and 16 different teams, everybody can play.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #4 - O'Dowd students go to great colleges such as MIT, Berkeley and Stanford.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #5 - Bishop O'Dowd has the best high school environmental science program in Northern California. Our new Center for Environmental Studies sits above a 4.5 acre urban garden built by students.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #6 - Bishop O'Dowd's award winning drama department has a long history of putting on challenging plays and musicals.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #7 - We have one of the top parliamentary debate teams in the nation.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #8 - Your friends are a key to your future success and happiness. At O'Dowd you will build strong friendships that will last a lifetime.
Bishop O Dowd High School Photo #9 - We have a strong retreat program, including the Junior Kairos retreat in which students are encouraged to find a closer connection between themselves and God.
- Bishop O'Dowd High School is an extraordinary community becasue it is a healthy, vibrant, morally uplifting, family-friendly center for college preparation and adolescent development. Its graduates are not only eligible for the University of California and Ivy League schools, but universally report that they are "over prepared" for rigorous universities and the complex social and moral environments of college and beyond. At O'Dowd, students engage in some of the finest and most inclusive athletic, co-curricular, and visual and performing arts programs in California.
- O'Dowd's environmental science, speech and debate, and student support programs are without peer and the student community, renowned for its warmth and appreciation of all kinds of minds, will bring life-long friendships and great joy.
- We truly believe that a complete education requires a foundational emphasis on the moral and spiritual dimensions of student lives. These foundations in the family and supported in school, determine the quality of human beings we so need for the future.
- Please visit our school to see for yourself how an O'Dowd education can prepare your daughters and sons for the world in which they will live throughout this century, and perhaps even the next.
Bishop O Dowd High School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Milk Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||1248 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||175 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||25 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1230|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Polo shirt and neatness and modesty requirements. Blue jeans allowed)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 11 / Jan. 8|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,840|
|Tuition Notes||Books, Registration Fee, Computer and Uniform are not included in tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Kerryn Pincus Gallagher|
|Admissions Associate||Moire Bruin|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Black Student Union, Campus Ministry, Debate Team, ECO Team, Latinos Unidos, Leadership Club, Mock Trial, Retreat Leaders
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics, Chorus, Digital Art, Digital Photography, Fine Arts Program, Jazz Band, Musical Theatre, Performing Arts, Photography, String Orchestra, symphonic band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cheerleading, Mountain Biking Club, Ultimate Frisbee Club
- On the high school journey, each student will have the guidance of our exceptional faculty, personal and college counselors, campus ministers, coaches, activity moderators, and administrators, who are at the forefront of preparing each student for a dynamic 21st century world. We focus on each student's personal and moral growth, college and career choices, how students learn, and we provide excellent teaching and world-class technology and software to assist in that learning. Together these resources and services will allow students to pursue what they love and reward them with the exhilaration of true excellence. In this way we achieve our purpose; to graduate even more exemplary citizens who will transform society with their values, intelligence, skills, and leadership as they seek to find God in all things.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Oakland Grades: K-12 | 876 students
4315 Lincoln Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
(510)531-1300 4.6 K-12
- Berkeley Grades: 9-12 | 92 students
2727 College Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)841-8489 9.1 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 420 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415)626-2919 15.9 9-12
This school prepared my child to go onto college very well. We are very pleased with Bishop O''Dowd. We will be sending our youngest to BOD also.
- Posted by Parent - bobow
I believe this school should extend applications and offer sport scholarships to new student amatuer or experienced.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - malai
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.