Canterbury School Of Florida
5.00 (2 reviews)
Canterbury School Of Florida Photo #2 - Canterbury's faculty is second to none. They are highly dedicated to your child's success not just academically, but in life. Sixty percent of our faculty has advanced degrees. Four of our faculty members are AP readers, which means they grade national AP exams. Most faculty coach a sport or sponsor a club, allowing more opportunities for student-teacher bonding.
Canterbury School Of Florida Photo #3 - We are extremely proud of our student-athletes, coaches, fans, and parents. Their commitment to sportsmanship at the highest level has been recognized by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA). Six student-athletes signed to play at the collegiate level in the 2018-2019 school year. Additionally, 100% of sixth-grade students participated in at least one sport that year.
Canterbury School Of Florida Photo #4 - Nowhere is the concept of experiential learning--a key component of our educational philosophy--more evident than in our fine and performing arts programs. For almost 50 years, Canterbury students have explored the worlds of music, visual, and performing arts, developing their skills and confidence with socially engaged performances and a spirit of collaboration.
- Canterbury School of Florida is an independent, co-educational college preparatory school for 3-year-olds through grade 12 that is located on two campuses in St. Petersburg, just two miles apart.
- Hough Campus is home to students in PK3 - Grade 4, and Knowlton Campus is home to students in Grades 5 - 12.
- Canterbury welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds. We are committed to educating intellectually adventurous thinkers, and courageous, compassionate leaders. Our learning community is highly collaborative, real-world focused, and research-based. Integration of digial tools extend conversations beyond the classroom and advance student-driven, global learning.
- *Strong Character Education * 25 Advanced Placement courses * A one-of-a-kind Marine Studies program and Cousteau Center for Marine Studies * Makerspace and Innovation Lab * International Studies program that includes Spanish for all students age 3 through grade 6 * Award-winning athletics and arts * Community service.
Upcoming Events and News
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Please see the website for summer camp costs and opportunities. www.canterburyflorida.org/summer|
|Total Students||481 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||25 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Government, Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Governments, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Human Geography, Latin Vergil, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics 2, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, Studio Art, US History,|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please see website for tuition rates which range from $9,200 for 5 fulls days of PK3 - $21,300 for Grade 12.http://www.canterburyflorida.org/tuition|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Colin Wyenberg|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||53 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Aquarium Club, ArtFest, Band, Battle of the Books, Black and White Photography, Chess Club, Chorus, Dance, Debate Club, Earth Force, Envirothon/Environmental Club, Fencing, French Culture Club, French Honor Society, Gourmet Club, Green Club, Homecoming, Interact Club, Junior Classical League/Latin Honor Society, Junior Thespians, Junior-Senior Prom, Literary Club, Marine Science Outreach, Math League, Model Airplane Club, Model United Nations, Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, OceanBowl, People of Peace (P.O.P.), Prom Committee, Recycling Team, S.A.D.D. Chapter, Science Fair, Scouting, Scuba Venture Club, Sea Camp, Show Choir, Spanish Honor Society, Spell Binders (Spelling Bee), Sports Talk, Student Ambassadors, Student Council - Middle School, Student Council - Upper School, Student-Athlete Leadership, Tampa Bay Envirothon, Tech Theater, Thespian Troupe 4637, Tween Angels (Internet Awareness), Yearbook, Yoga, YUGA|
- Premier Marine Studies program and curriculum in the state of Florida.
- The 47 graduates of the Class of 2019 earned over $6.3 million dollars in merit scholarships.
- The Class of 2019 had 1 National Merit Scholar Semifinalists, and 2 National Merit Scholars
- We offer 33 athletic teams for our students.
- Six members of the Class of 2019 signed athletic scholarships to compete in softball, swimming, football, basketball, and baseball.
- Canterbury has won the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Fred Rozell Sportsmanship Award for outstanding sportsmanship among the school's athletes, coaches, parents, and students five times in the last 15 years, most recently in 2016.
- We have an award-winning performing arts and theater program.
- Spanish is are required for all students in PK3 - Grade 6.
- The school has an unparalleled Character Education program. Canterbury students speak for themselves.
- Students in Grades 3-8 participate in a one-to-one device program (iPads or ChromeBooks) loaded with digital textbooks and educational/study apps for use in class and at home.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint Petersburg Grades: PK-12 | 611 students
7777 62nd Avenue North
Saint Petersburg, FL 33709
(727)541-7593 9 PK-12
- Saint Petersburg Grades: K-8 | 434 students
2021 62nd Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33702
(727)522-3000 5.7 K-8
At Canterbury my daughter is overcoming her shyness, excelling in math, and learning to be the best version of herself. We are so fortunate to have found a school community that is incredibly accepting of who she is, but refuses to accept less than her best.
- Posted by Parent - rkell
We looked at many private schools and were most impressed with the atmosphere at Canterbury. We enrolled our daughter and have found an academically rich environment that is integrated with enrichment programs. In addition, the focus on character building creates an atmosphere where good behavior is the norm. We made the right choice; our daughter is very happy.
- Posted by Parent - jodi.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.