Canterbury School Of Florida
- Canterbury School of Florida is an independent, co-educational college preparatory school for 3-year-olds through grade 12 that is located on two campuses in St. Petersburg, just two miles apart.
- Hough Campus is home to students in PK3 - Grade 4, and Knowlton Campus is home to students in Grades 5 - 12.
- Canterbury welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds. We are committed to educating intellectually adventurous thinkers, and courageous, compassionate leaders. Our learning community is highly collaborative, real-world focused, and research-based. Integration of digial tools extend conversations beyond the classroom and advance student-driven, global learning.
- *Strong Character Education * 25 Advanced Placement courses * A one-of-a-kind Marine Studies program and Cousteau Center for Marine Studies * Makerspace and Innovation Lab * International Studies program that includes Mandarin Chinese and Spanish for all students age 3 through grade 6 * Award-winning athletics and arts * Community service.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||481 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||25 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Government, Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Governments, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Human Geography, Latin Vergil, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics 2, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, Studio Art, US History,|
|Average SAT score||1400|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please see website for tuition rates which range from $7,750 for 5 fulls days of PK3 - $18,400 for Grade 12. http://www.canterburyflorida.org/tuition|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Colin Wyenberg|
|Admissions Associate||Amber Lavender|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||53 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Aquarium Club, ArtFest, Band, Battle of the Books, Black and White Photography, Chess Club, Chorus, Dance, Debate Club, Earth Force, Envirothon/Environmental Club, Fencing, French Culture Club, French Honor Society, Gourmet Club, Green Club, Homecoming, Interact Club, Junior Classical League/Latin Honor Society, Junior Thespians, Junior-Senior Prom, Literary Club, Marine Science Outreach, Math League, Model Airplane Club, Model United Nations, Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, OceanBowl, People of Peace (P.O.P.), Prom Committee, Recycling Team, S.A.D.D. Chapter, Science Fair, Scouting, Scuba Venture Club, Sea Camp, Show Choir, Spanish Honor Society, Spell Binders (Spelling Bee), Sports Talk, Student Ambassadors, Student Council - Middle School, Student Council - Upper School, Student-Athlete Leadership, Tampa Bay Envirothon, Tech Theater, Thespian Troupe 4637, Tween Angels (Internet Awareness), Yearbook, Yoga, YUGA|
- Premier Marine Studies program and curriculum in the state of Florida.
- The 38 graduates of the Class of 2016 earned over $3.6 million dollars in merit scholarships.
- The Class of 2016 had 3 National Merit Scholar Semifinalists, and 2 National Merit Scholars
- We offer 33 athletic teams for our students.
- Canterbury has won the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Fred Rozell Sportsmanship Award for outstanding sportsmanship among the school's athletes, coaches, parents and students five times in the last 15 years, most recently in 2016.
- We have an award-winning performing arts and theater program. And in 2010 violin lessons become part of the music curriculum at the Lower School for grades 3 and 4. Violins are provided for all students.
- Both Spanish and Mandarin Chinese are required for all students in PK3 - Grade 6.
- The school has an unparallelled Character Education program. Canterbury students speak for themselves.
- Students in Grades 3-8 particpate in a one-to-one device program (iPads or ChromeBooks) loaded with digital textbooks and educational/study apps for use in class and at home.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint PetersburgGrades: PK-12 | 945 students
5101 1st Street NE
Saint Petersburg, FL 33703
- Saint PetersburgGrades: PK-12 | 611 students
7777 62nd Avenue North
Saint Petersburg, FL 33709
- Saint PetersburgGrades: KG-8 | 464 students
2021 62nd Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33702
- LargoGrades: PK-12 | 806 students
12685 Ulmerton Road
Largo, FL 33774
- Saint PetersburgGrades: NS-12 | 687 students
10101 54th Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33708
At Canterbury my daughter is overcoming her shyness, excelling in math, and learning to be the best version of herself. We are so fortunate to have found a school community that is incredibly accepting of who she is, but refuses to accept less than her best.
- Posted by Parent - rkell
We looked at many private schools and were most impressed with the atmosphere at Canterbury. We enrolled our daughter and have found an academically rich environment that is integrated with enrichment programs. In addition, the focus on character building creates an atmosphere where good behavior is the norm. We made the right choice; our daughter is very happy.
- Posted by Parent - jodi.