Admiral Farragut Academy
- Admiral Farragut Academy, established in 1933, is a co-ed, private, college prep school serving PreK-12th grade students and is located in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Farragut also has a world renowned boarding program for students in 8th - 12th grade.
- Starting in PreK, students benefit from a challenging and engaging academic curriculum, such as Foreign Languages, STEM, Marine Science, and hands-on field trips.
- Signature Programs in Upper School at Farragut include Aviation, AP Capstone, Scuba, Leadership/NJROTC, and Sailing.
Admiral Farragut Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Florida for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||511 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Capstone, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature, Environmental Science, Government / Economics, Human Geography, Mandarin Chinese, Microeconomics, Physics, Spanish, Statistics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki and collared shirt and military uniform in Upper School)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K $12,900 Kindergarten $13,900 1st – 5th $17,000 6th – 7th $19,300 8th – 12th Day $24,200 8th – 12th Boarding $50,750|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Endowment Size||$5.2 million|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Drill Team,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Bible Study, Drone, Film, Guitar, Model U.N., National Honor Society, Poetry Club, Robotics Team, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama, Marching Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Admiral Farragut Academy, established in 1933, is a co-ed, private, college prep school serving students in grades PreK-12 for Pre-School, Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. Farragut is located in St. Petersburg, Florida in Pinellas County and is surrounded by the communities of Treasure Island, Gulfport, Pasadena, Tierra Verde, and Seminole. Farragut also serves North Pinellas County, which includes the communities of Clearwater, Belleair, and Palm Harbor.
- Starting in PreK at age 3, students benefit from achallenging and engaging academic curriculum, such as foreign languages (Mandarin Chinese and Spanish), STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), Marine Science at the campus' waterfront, hands-on field trips, and are all taught using a strong foundation of Character Education.
- Once students reach 8th grade they may also enroll in signature academic programs like Aviation (including Dual Enrollment with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University), all levels of Scuba Diving, Sailing, Engineering, AP Capstone, and Naval Jr. ROTC.
- Farragut also has a 5 or 7-day boarding program for students starting in the 8th grade. Because Farragut is a Florida boarding and day school, the school attracts students from an average of 27 countries and 17 U.S. states. The national and international community makes attending Farragut a global experience.
- With a 100% college acceptance rate, graduates from Farragut succeed in higher education as organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful critical thinkers who understand that dreams and hard work go hand in hand.
- Summer Camps: Fun and educational day camps for PreK-8th graders on our waterfront campus. Lunch included. 8th-12th grade students may also experience boarding school over the summer while earning high school credit and going on weekday and weekend excursions! Learn more at www.farragut.org/summer.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint Petersburg Grades: PK-12 | 611 students
7777 62nd Avenue North
Saint Petersburg, FL 33709
(727)541-7593 3.4 PK-12
- Saint Petersburg Grades: K-8 | 434 students
2021 62nd Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33702
(727)522-3000 6.1 K-8
AFA is a great school for academics and athletics along with creative arts. I have been going to Admiral Farragut Academy for eight years and I have noticed that the learning process taught by the teachers is much easier (while still teaching you what you need to know) than other schools people I know outside of AFA go to. There are multiple athletics available and available to every gender with coaches who are inspiring and helpful in many ways. For example I am the only girl on the Wrestling team and also another student here is the only girl on the Lacrosse team. There is almost an endless amount of after school clubs for art, literature, and theatrical arts that welcome all. Admiral Farragut Academy teaches you things and gives you the opportunity to do things that you wouldn't be able to do at other schools. AFA raises you as a family member and helps you become a leader.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - aloru
I have been at Admiral Farragut Academy since fourth grade and I am currently in eighth grade. I have had amazing teachers, and have met many great friends over the years. When my old school closed, I didn't think any school could replace it. Then, I shadowed at this school. I had an extraordinary experience. The teachers and students welcomes me like family. I had no trouble making friends. When I started to go to Farragut, I knew this was the perfect school for me. I also found out that you can get your SCUBA certification and get your pilots license here. When I was in the sixth grade, I earned my QBH (Qualified Boat Handlers License), and was allowed to sail at the school waterfront whenever I wanted to. That is another benefit of this school. Right across the road is the school waterfront. I enjoy fishing and sailing there. I am also in the Admiral's Own Band, the school band. We play at the school football games and also played at the East - West Shriner Game. Cross Country, track, and soccer are the sports I participate in at Farragut. The middle school soccer team had an amazing season, suffering only one loss. So, would I recommend this school to anybody? The answer is obviously yes.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - eschl
I have been at Admiral Farragut for 2 years and am now in 8th grade, during my time here I have met amazing friends and teachers. My teachers help me before, during, and after school and encourage us to use the full extent of our abilities. When I first came here from my old school I believed this would be a strict school like most military schools; I was wrong, I was at first nervous but after the span of a few days I learned the school could offer much more than any of my old schools and the community around was great. I was able to excel in Academics, Leadership, and Athletics; I was able to become apart of many different clubs, groups, and athletic teams. I got to try out Soccer, Track, Lacrosse, Tennis, and Exhibition Drill. But, little would I know I would continue committing to each one year after year. The facilities here are top notch and are still being renovated going through the brand new Student Center, PLTW (Engineering) Lab, and even the Aviation Center. I am able to study at all times of the day and even use the extensive learning materials around me to help my friends and I prepare for the next day. Admiral Farragut Academy also has many different extracurricular-activities, some of which may include: Sailing, NJROTC, Aviation, the Rife Team, NJHS, and even Scuba. Speaking of sailing, my second year here I was able to get my QBH (Qualified Boat Handlers Licence) this is a licence you receive after going through several tests which includes boating safety, parts of the sailboat, and even how to sail a sailboat. After this, I was intrigued; I continued on through sailing until I reached my QM2 (Quarter Master Two). NJROTC is also another benefit of the school, to be honest at first I believed this would be a pain. But, after a while I was able to see how the program changed me as a person. Learning Leadership Skills, Military History, and the rest of the basics helped me grow into a better person. Now, going back to the Exhibition Drill Team; I have been a part of it ever since I joined the school. On the Drill Team we are basically the face of the school; we perform at events all around the state and are the first to meet honored guests from around the world. We are basically a family inside a family, we practice every day after school for the whole year and try our best to excel in Exhibition Drill until we are perfect. In the past few years we have also won the County Championships year after year. This was all thanks to our Commander Steve Edwards former Commander of the infamous Purdue Drill Team (Six time National Champion). Thanks to his commitment he was able to carve us into the best team we were able to be. Not leaving out of course Joy Edwards, she is our Drill Team mom; she organizes all our events, prepares our food, and makes sure we are where we are supposed to be. I hope to stay at Admiral Farragut Academy until my Senior Year and be able to experience the boarding side of things and continue on my path to success and become one of the best leaders this school has to offer. As of now, my brothers are even attending or coming to the school. They are 7 years old and 11 years old, entering elementary school at Farragut. When I grow up I want to become a neurosurgeon, helping people is one of my many traits. Admiral Farragut has been helping me continue on that path and is making me grow as a person every day of the week. So would I recommend Admiral Farragut Academy? My answer is absolutely, I am having the learning experience of a life time.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - znasr