Tel: (310) 451-1332
- Carlthorp School, established in 1939, is the oldest independent school in Santa Monica. Our close-knit community is bonded over the celebration of our school traditions and excitement over our ever-evolving curriculum.
- Though the breadth of our curriculum has radically expanded in the last eighty years, our basic philosophy remains the same; we focus on the child as a whole, helping each to grow intellectually, socially, and ethically - and to develop outstanding work habits - all within the framework of a warm, diverse, engaging, experiential, academic school.
- Our Code-of Conduct, which encourages all Carlthorp constiutents to strive for excellence and to respect themselves and others, is the cornerstone of our community.
- Our rich and unique Service Learning curriculum prepares our students to be confident leaders and change-agents in the world. Carlthorp School students are proud public speakers who are eager to share their knowledge and insight with others.
- Our graduates matriculate from Cartlhorp School into the finest secondary schools in Los Angeles. Historically, over 97% of our students have been admitted into the school of their first choice.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-6|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2006|
|Total Students||281 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(School uniforms which offer choice and flexibility.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 1 / Jan. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$31,725|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition assistance is available to families based upon verifiable qualified need.|
|Admissions Director||Lynn Wagmeister|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Football, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Football,|
Soccer, Track and Field,
- Mission Statement: Carlthorp School provides a strong academic foundation in a diverse and nurturing school community that emphasizes respectful values, responsible work habits, and excellence in order to prepare our students to achieve their highest potential in education and life.
- Please visit our website at www.carlthorp.org to get a greater understanding of our unique community and a sense of the robust and joyful experience that a Carlthorp School education offers.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Monica Grades: K-12 | 1189 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310) 829-7391 2.1 K-12
- Pasadena Grades: K-12 | 858 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 396-6300 23 K-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?