- Carlthorp School, established in 1939, is the oldest independent school in Santa Monica. Our close-knit community is bonded over the celebration of our school traditions and excitement over our ever-evolving curriculum.
- Though the breadth of our curriculum has radically expanded in the last eighty years, our basic philosophy remains the same; we focus on the child as a whole, helping each to grow intellectually, socially, and ethically - and to develop outstanding work habits - all within the framework of a warm, diverse, engaging, experiential, academic school.
- Our Code-of Conduct, which encourages all Carlthorp constiutents to strive for excellence and to respect themselves and others, is the cornerstone of our community.
- Our rich and unique Service Learning curriculum prepares our students to be confident leaders and change-agents in the world. Carlthorp School students are proud public speakers who are eager to share their knowledge and insight with others.
- Our graduates matriculate from Cartlhorp School into the finest secondary schools in Los Angeles. Historically, over 97% of our students have been admitted into the school of their first choice.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-6|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2006|
|Total Students||281 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(School uniforms which offer choice and flexibility.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 1 / Jan. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$31,725|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition assistance is available to families based upon verifiable qualified need.|
|Admissions Director||Lynn Wagmeister|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Football, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Football,|
Soccer, Track and Field,
- Mission Statement: Carlthorp School provides a strong academic foundation in a diverse and nurturing school community that emphasizes respectful values, responsible work habits, and excellence in order to prepare our students to achieve their highest potential in education and life.
- Please visit our website at www.carlthorp.org to get a greater understanding of our unique community and a sense of the robust and joyful experience that a Carlthorp School education offers.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Monica Grades: K-12 | 1185 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310)829-7391 2.1 K-12
- Pasadena Grades: K-12 | 858 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626)396-6300 23 K-12
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.