- Santa Monica Montessori School is a private academic preschool and elementary school through eighth grade based on the philosophy of freeing the child's potential in a stimulating environment.
- Dr. Maria Montessori, the first woman M.D. in Italy, developed what she called the "prepared environment" which helps your child develop according to his or her own capacities in a non-competitive private school environment.
- The goal of a prepared environment is to help your child develop self-confidence and independence that inspires self-discipline and a love of learning which will remain throughout his/her life.
- Montessori Schools emphasize individual as opposed to group development. Dr. Montessori believed that the most effective impulse to learning was self-motivation, so a prepared environment does not force information and skills onto the child but rather he acquires the knowledge himself.
- Santa Monica Montessori School offers your child love, security, and a stimulating private school environment that inspires learning through exploration and discovery.
- We have a very diverse student body representing many countries, cultures and races. We work with the "Connections for Children" Organization.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Total Students||283 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||22:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Comfort rules. Dress like a kid!!)
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||1/2 day-$10950 academic year school day-$12950 academic year extended day-$14950 academic year Payments accepted $100 application fee $500 registration fee (books, supplies, insurance)|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$250|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Associate||Dr. Ivy Sinjur|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Dance, Gymnastics, Soccer, Swimming, Track and FieldBallet, Basketball,
Swimming, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts/Crafts, Building Workshop (blocks), Cooklng, Dance & Movement, Homework Club, Mandarin Chinese, Peace Garden, Spanish, Sports, Storytelling, Voice and Piano Arts/Crafts, Cooklng, Homework Club, Peace Garden, Spanish, Sports, Storytelling, Building Workshop (blocks),
Dance & Movement,
Voice and Piano,
- The child will be encouraged to think outside the box! We encourage creativity. We have a very diverse student body representing many countries, cultures and races.
- An unpretentious environment encouraging genuine values
- Organic snacks and lunches!
- A safe, beautiful environment in an old mansion
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Santa MonicaGrades: K-6 | 282 students
438 San Vicente Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90402
Culver CityGrades: NS-8 | 345 students
8780 National Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232
Los AngelesGrades: NS-8 | 466 students
5401 Beethoven Street
Los Angeles, CA 90066
PasadenaGrades: K-8 | 516 students
405 S Euclid Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
Sherman OaksGrades: K-12 | 830 students
3900 Stansbury Avenue
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
My daughter first attended the school and now my son goes there. I can't speak highly enough of Mrs. Crisman the director and all the staff at the school. It is a very special place and we have been absolutely thrilled with the attention our kids received. We credit everyone at this school with the little geniuses they have become.
- Posted by Parent - jeric
Amazing school with a lot of really great programs and a staff that feels more like a family than a company. We decided on a private school after having a very disappointing experience with the public schools in the area. We selected this school in particular because the executive director is one of the most well known teacher trainers in the montessori field, and we have been excited by our child's progress (though he was a genius already). =)
- Posted by Parent - music
An amazing school and an amazing program, our 10 year old just took an admissions test at another school (we had to move and change schools for employment reasons) and they are telling us that he is reading and writing at almost a high school level and doing math at a high school level. This was just a couple of years after we were told he may have special needs by a public school teacher. I would both strongly recommend Santa Monica Montessori School and strongly recommend avoiding the public schools in the area.
- Posted by Parent - bigfi
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.