Christ Lutheran School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- "Celebrating 62 Years of success" Christ Lutheran School is a private Christian school located on a beautiful pastoral campus next to Cortez Park in West Covina.
- An educational tradition since 1957, the school accepts students age two through eighth grade. Academic excellence and the teaching of Christian values comprise the core of the kindergarten through eighth grade program.
- New for the 2017-18 school year is a full day Transitional Kindergarten.
- In 2003, CLS was acknowledged by the United States Department of Education as a National Blue Ribbon School, one of only six private schools, elementary or high school in California.
- CLS had to demonstrate that their eighth grade students test on a national test in the top ten percent in the nation.
- Awarded a W.A.S.C. (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Accreditation in 2009.
- In 2016, Principal Christopher Andrade was the recipient of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America`s (ELCA) Principal of the Year Award and "National Distinguised Principal".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Evangelical Lutheran Education Association (ELEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2003|
|Total Students||296 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies based on grade for elementary, 2,3 or 5 day program for Preschool. Also half or full day program.|
|Admissions Director||Karen Mora|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Computer Club, Homework Clinic, Homework Club, Math Club
Arts and Music Programs:
- Advanced Math Classes
- Accelerated Reading (AR) Program
- State-of-the-Art Computer Lab
- State-of-the-Art Science Lab
- Spanish and Advanced Spanish (Middle School)
- Field Trips and Outdoor Education
- 4th - California Time Capsule
- 5th - Astrocamp
- 6th - CIMI (Catalina)
- 7th - Yosemite
- 8th - East Coast, Washington D.C.
- Chapel Services every week
- PE (All Grades) and after school sports (5th - 8th)
- Teacher aides in all elementary classrooms
- Online Grading Program
- California Standards Based Curriculum
- In 2009, accreditation from W.A.S.C. (Western Association of Schools and Colleges). In 2015 a 6 year extension was added.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- West Covina Grades: NS-8 | 355 students
1211 E Badillo St
West Covina, CA 91790
(626)732-1500 2.9 NS-8
- Chino Grades: NS-8 | 351 students
12664 Central Ave
Chino, CA 91710
(909)591-8419 11.9 NS-8
- Claremont Grades: 9-12 | 410 students
1175 West Baseline Road
Claremont, CA 91711
(909)482-5214 9.4 9-12
I have a child that been attending Christ Lutheran since pre school. She's now in the 6 grade. We are so grateful to have such a tight group of Teachers and Parents That get Involved with with the students. It's a blessing to find a Good School in a nice community as south hills. Keep up the Good work Christ Lutheran. Our daughter have two more years there. Keep pushing her, and prepare her for high school. The Glory belongs to God.
- Posted by Parent - Donni
I have two children (grade school & middle school) attending CLS and they both have had a great learning experience. Most of the teachers are very caring and nurturing. The teachers they have/had, have taken a great interest in making sure that the children understand the curriculum. Mrs. Curtis, Mrs. Annis, and Mrs. Smith (1st, 3rd, and 4th grades) are in my children's opinions, the best teachers. They know how to capture the students imagination and make learning fun. Mrs. Mortensen (middle school math) is great with the kids. My middle schooler has really enjoyed all the outdoor education trips. The children are taught to be well rounded and the school takes part in a few community charitable events. If your child is advanced in math, they will allow them to take math with the higher grades if the child tests into it. All the teachers are credentialed and most have a Masters Degree. The campus is fully gated and they do have cameras throughout the school (which unfortunately is a good thing now a days). The school also has a great PE and after school sports programs.
- Posted by Parent - ickus
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.