Cindy McConnell Photo #2 - Eco-Healthy, Nature-Inspired Early Childhood Program, Serving Children Ages 2 to 12
Cindy McConnell Photo #3 - Our resident animals include friendly, gentle Nigerian dwarf goats that the children visit and help care for each day. Caring for animals teaches children about science/nature and helps them practice self-regulation, an important skill for school readiness. Our children love the goats ... and the goats love the attention!
- An Eco-Healthy, Nature-Inspired Early Learning Program! First Discoveries Academy offers amazing early childhood programs that are child-centered and family-friendly, includind preschool, VPK/PreK, Kindergarten, before and afterschool care and summer camp for children ages 2 to 12.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Developmental Delays and Other Learning Differences|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- First Discoveries Academy is an Eco-Healthy, Nature-Inspired early childhood program serving children ages two to twelve years. We have been recognized by the Children's Environmental Health Network for our commitment to creating healthy learning environments for children.
- We believe that children deserve to work and play in healthy, engaging classrooms and playgrounds. Our large classrooms are filled with sunshine and open space for children to explore. Our outdoor classroom is so much more than a typical playground, with open space to run and play and opportunities for children to engage in many interested experiences, including planting and harvesting in our gardens. Our resident animals include five very gentle Nigerian Dwarf goats.
- We know that children learn best in an interesting, engaging environment in which they are challenged and supported each day. We use music, art and play-based activities enhance children's learning and development everyday.
- Our program is Christian based, and we use music, art and stories to teach children about God's love for each one of us. God has created an amazing world, and our goal is to help children learn to appreciate it every day!We are an inclusive program, serving all God's children.
- Our teachers have early childhood degrees and specialized training so that we can create positive learning experiences for all children. We have experience working with children with developmental delays, speech/language concerns, autism, sensory processing disorder, and ADD/ADHD. Our onsite services include collaboration with speech therapists, ABA therapists and more.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Brandon Grades: PK-K | 321 students
1350 John Moore Rd
Brandon, FL 33511
(813)689-3242 1.6 PK-K
- Tampa Grades: NS-12 | 1033 students
1515 W. Bearss Avenue
Tampa, FL 33613
(813)920-2288 18 NS-12
- Tampa Grades: PK-1 | 101 students
9815 Causeway Blvd
Tampa, FL 33619
(813)623-3328 5.1 PK-1
- Tampa Grades: NS-6 | 115 students
7822 N 56th Street
Tampa, FL 33617
(813)988-2875 11 NS-6
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.