Concord Hill School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- A private, co-educational school in the heart of Chevy Chase, MD, Concord Hill School nurtures and inspires children to embrace and enjoy learning during the early childhood years. Our Five Core Values--Knowledge, Character, Respect, Play, and Community--guide our dynamic academic and social curriculum, anchoring our teachers, students, and parents in an inclusive and joyful community. One class per grade
- Max 100 students, total Two lead teachers per grade
- Special subject teachers for Art, Library, Makerspace, P.E., Science, Spanish, and Technology.
- Resource teachers for Math and Reading Dedicated School Counselor
- An inclusive school community that nurtures each child, preparing them to become responsible, caring, and contributing members of society
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-3|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,770|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||$295 per week ($285 per sibling)|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||92 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,750|
|Tuition Notes||Preprimary = $16,950 Primary = $24,950 K–3rd = $28,750|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$16,055|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Susan Arzt|
|Endowment Size||$2.7 million|
- Concord Hill School's FIVE CORE VALUES--Knowledge, Character, Respect, Play, and Community--guide a dynamic academic and social curriculum. During these important early childhood years, Concord Hill demonstrates to its students that acquiring knowledge can be both challenging and fun. We celebrate each child's unique strengths and seek to build self-confidence through achievement. We emphasize both the academic and the developmental growth of the young child and strongly believe in educating the whole child by promoting intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and character development. By maintaining small student-to-teacher ratios, we are able to respond to each student's ideas, needs and learning styles. Concord Hill instills in its students a strong sense of caring and respect for others. Children experience the responsibilities and benefits of being positive, contributing members of their community and our diverse world.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bethesda Grades: PK-K | 355 students
5615 Beech Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301)530-6999 3.1 PK-K
- Bethesda Grades: PK-K | 77 students
7500 Honeywell Ln
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301)652-0117 1.6 PK-K
Concord Hill's model is genius - focus on the small child, age 3 through 3rd grade, critical years to build a strong foundation, a love of learning, fundamental skills, and healthy, positive relationships. We were attracted to Concord Hill because of the nurturing community and thoughtful approach. Our older children attend both independent and public schools, and when we moved to the area and were looking for the best place for our youngest, we felt Concord Hill would give our child the best start to a great education in our home. A few things that make this place special:- It's one of the few schools with 2 teachers per classroom. This helps with differentiated learning opportunities as they learn to read, write and take off in math. - The new head of school is FANTASTIC. Concord Hill is very lucky to have Nate Dennison taking the school forward. He comes with great experience and a truly thoughtful approach. We're really excited to see how Concord Hill evolves even after we leave the community. - There's a maker space! It may be the only school in the area that has a maker space for young kids.- The music and art teachers are top notch! - Every child is known by every adult in the school. That's huge. And The Concord Hill parent community is kind and down-to-earth. It's a wonderful place all around, but most importantly, it seems that children "graduate" from the school happy, well-prepared and confident.
- Posted by Parent - Carrie
I'm a new parent this year (2019-2020 Academic School Year) and our family has had an amazing experience at Concord Hill. This school is truly a family where all the staff, administrators, and teachers are invested in your child. I also really love the early childhood focus of the school and have found that it is the perfect fit for my daughter. My daughter has been able to participate in extracurricular activities and build some amazing relationships with the other students and the staff. I'm truly grateful that we selected this school and would highly recommend it.
- Posted by Parent - New Parent
Our family loves this intimate school! Each child is truly known and celebrated. Each day is filled with a fantastic curriculum including Art, Spanish, Coding/Tech, PE, Library, Music, Science, and lots of outdoor time so kids can just be kids. Each and every teacher has been warm, caring and academically stellar. I highly recommend CHS.
- Posted by Parent - Kristin
This primary to 3rd grade school has been such a wonderful experience for my child and my family. The low student to teacher ratio, play-based learning, focus on early education, and one class per grade creates a cozy, idyllic school environment. The families are friendly and welcoming, and most live nearby, making it easy to schedule playdates. The teachers and staff care about your child's individual development, both academically and socially. Kindergarten feels more like the kindergarten I grew up with, with plenty of outdoor time, PE, art, and music. Now that he is in second grade, my child is really excelling in math and reading, but with a love of learning that I think will set him on the right path for years to come. They have excellent "specials," including a terrific technology class with a Makerspace, Spanish, Art, Music, and PE. The new Head has brought fresh energy, while being sensitive to the traditions of the school. I also appreciate his commitment to diversity and inclusion at an age when the children are learning and thinking about differences and how to treat one another.
- Posted by Parent - Chevy Chase parent
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.