Crean Lutheran High School
- Mission Statement: Proclaiming Jesus Christ through excellence in education. Please visit our web site at www.clshs.org for detailed information.
- CLHS strives to offer a Christian environment that nurtures a student`s faith, promotes academic excellence, and develops a servant`s heart.
- CLHS desires its students to be knowledgeable about their faith and willing to defend their beliefs; engaged in the classroom and able to think critically and communicate with clarity; and finally, to live their lives as servant-leaders and connect the world to the heart of Jesus Christ! Crean Lutheran High School is affiliated with the nationally-respected Lutheran education system, which is recognized as one of the premier educational institutions in the United States for its academic performance, its Christ-centered faculty and staff, and its progressive programs.
- CLHS is WASC and NLSA accredited and offers comprehensive academic and extracurricular offerings that prepare its students academically, socially, and spiritually in a safe and caring environment.
- By God`s grace, these characteristics have allowed Crean Lutheran to become the fastest growing high school in the 165-year history of the Lutheran Church.
|Religious Affiliation||Lutheran Church Missouri Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Wide range|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||797 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||85 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP Economics, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government, AP Human Geography, AP Physics C: Electricty & Magnestism, AP Physics I, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, AP Studio Art: 3-D Design, AP Studio Art: Drawing and Painting, AP United States History, AP US History, AP World History,|
|Average SAT score||1190|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Polo & Oxford Shirts; Long & Short Pants, Skirts & Skorts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 9 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,690|
|Tuition Notes||Includes: -The College Board Act/SAT courses -Private, intensive college & career planingDoes not include: -Annual Registration Fee -Books -Uniforms -Laptop -Athletic Fees -Performing Arts Fee|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
|Admissions Director||Tara Mathis|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Sherrie Lah|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Lacrosse, Martial Arts,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Weightlifting,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Link Crew, Missions Trips, Model UN, Servant Leadership Team (Student Government), Service Organizations, Speech and Debate, Student Ambassador Program
Arts and Music Programs:
- CLSHS is a comprehensive high school with a range of curriculum offerings to facilitate a range of college and career planning objectives. Supporting the scholastic experience, CLSHS also offers several co-curricular activities, including a collegiate-model athletic department, professionl visual and performing arts teachers, and more than a dozen student clubs and activities.
- Expected Schoolwide Learner Outcomes
- Crean Lutheran High School is nationally recognized for its comprehensive environment that instills Christian character development, engenders academic excellence, and nurtures a servant`s heart. CLHS desires its students to be knowledgeable about their faith and willing to defend their beliefs; engaged in the classroom and able to think critically and communicate clearly; and, finally, to live their lives as servant-leaders for Jesus Christ.Historical Excellence
- CLHS is proud to be a part of the renowned Lutheran Church school system, which has been educating students for over 160 years. Broad evidence of the excellence found in Lutheran education was recently annotated in a recent landmark study by the U.S. Department of Education that ranked the Lutheran system highest academically among all other schools, including public, Catholic, charter, other protestant or other private schools (Christopher Lubienski, "Charter, Private, Public Schools and Academic Achievement.) Additionally, Lutheran school students have been recognized as scoring 23 percent higher than national averages on standard achievement tests (Brekke, M., Youth Research Center). It is within this school system`s celebrated history that CLHS is the fastest growing high school ever.Continuing Excellence
- A high value is placed on personalized education; CLHS proudly maintains an average of 18:1 student-to-teacher ratio. Students can follow various academic tracks including a standard set of classes meeting California State A-G requirements, or take part in the wide array of academically rigorous Honors (32) , Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual Credit Courses (23). CLHS currently 72 college units for motivated students hoping to gain a running start on college coursework while still in High School.
- CLHS hires exceptionally qualified Christian educators, the majority whom have advanced degrees. Thus, our students benefit not only from an intimate class setting, but also from the bright minds teaching their subjects.
- General Scores & Statistics:
- The top 25% from the Class of 2017 achieved an average score of 1468 on the SAT, which placed CLHS scores 413 points above the state average and 398 points higher than the national average. Over the course of the last four years, CLHS has increased AP Exam pass rates by over 17% and nearly tripled the number of students receiving a 5, the highest score possible on the AP Exam. 2017-18 marked a banner year for AP testing, with 148 students taking various AP exams. 100% of CLHS test takers passed the English Language & Composition test; over 87.5% passed the English Literature & Composition test. At least 70% of test takers passed each of the following AP Exams: Chemistry, Macroeconomics, Statistics, and United States History. An astounding 100% passed Studio Art: 2-D, Studio Art: Drawing, Calculus BC, Chinese Language & Culture, and Computer Science.Educational Technology:
- Integrating technology into the classroom setting is a hallmark of CLHS. From note-taking and online research to submitting homework and preparing presentations; students use their laptops on a daily basis. CLHS also encourages students to utilize eBooks and digital textbooks to further benefit their academic pursuits. Finally, CLHS blends the powerful online tools of the Canvas educational platform with traditional in-class instruction creating a wholly unique educational experience. Through Canvas, students can submit homework, download class content, take quizzes, communicate with teachers, and monitor grades in real time.College & Career Counseling:
- CLHS counselors work in partnership with the whole student in the context of their family, school, and relationships to help facilitate student development in education, personal/social, spiritual and career domains.Students at CLHS are well-prepared to engage in strenuous University-level academics. 94% of CLHS graduates are accepted to a 4 year college or university. 98% of CLHS graduates transitioned to college. Students are also afforded the opportunity to take advantage of SAT/ACT Test Preparation services which are built into the overall cost structure. During the specialized courses, students are familiarized with test content and equipped with tools to score to the best of their ability all at no extra cost. Thus, students are afforded the opportunity to receive the best test preparation tools from well-qualified instructors.Accreditation:
- CLHS offers a renowned educational environment that is accredited by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as National Lutheran School Accreditation (NLSA). In 2018, CLHS earned a maximum six-year accreditation term by WASC. In 2013, the NLSA granted Crean Lutheran Exemplary School status, which was conferred upon only three high schools in the United States based upon the standard of meeting or exceeding best practices in education. CLHS was the only California high school to receive this distinction.International Department:
- Playing an invaluable role in elevating Crean Lutheran High
School into one of the nation`s most progressive high schools is
the presence of CLHS`s nationally-commended International
Department. In all, CLHS is blessed to host students from 11
countries, across every continent, for the 2018-19 academic year.
Instrumental in creating such international interest in CLHS is the
school`s reputation for providing top-tier education on a
multicultural campus that is reflective of the global village of
Irvine as a whole. Equally significant in drawing students
from all corners of the globe is the experienced leadership and
adroit counseling services that skillfully work with each
international student to help them reach their educational and
career goals. CLHS is eligible to issue I-20s to International
students who desire to study in the United States, and host
families are provided upon request. Individuals interested in
learning more about the International Admission process, or about
how to become a host family, should contact CLHS International
Department Director Mrs. Sherri Lah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Excellence in Performing ArtsVisual & Performing Arts
- Crean Lutheran High School values the opportunity celebrate the Visual and Performing Arts by developing the individual creative gifts of CLHS`s many talented artists. While all students are required to take at least one unit of Visual & Performing Arts to satisfy graduation requirements and entrance requirements for most colleges and universities, CLHS also offers diverse opportunities for extracurricular engagement. Students at Crean Lutheran High School have the opportunity to perform in a variety of settings, including theatrical performances, instrumental concerts, choral concerts, and dance performances. CLHS visual artists are afforded similar opportunities to showcase their talents through on and off-campus shows. CLHS is deeply committed to providing students real-world opportunities to develop and refine their respective gifts and crafts. Student-artists have been recognized for excellence by the Orange County Pacific Symphony, South Coast Repertory Theater, the City of Irvine Fine Arts Council, and the Irvine Youth Arts Show.
- For questions regarding Crean Lutheran High School Visual & Performing Arts Department, please contact VPA Director, Alyssa Jones at (949)387-1199 or email email@example.com
- Concert Choir*
- Honors Concert Choir*
- Honors Chamber Choir*
- Women`s Chorus
- Instrumental Music:
- Honors Orchestra*
- Concert Band*
- Honors Concert Band*
- Jazz Band*
- Honors Jazz Band*
- Worship Team*
- Honors Worship Team*
- Handbell Ensemble*
- Percussion Ensemble*
- Visual Art:
- Honors Photography II*
- Exploratory Art
- Honors Exploratory Art*
- Advanced Art*
- Drawing & Painting
- Introduction to Design
- Sculpture I
- Sculpture II*
- AP Art: Studio Drawing
- AP Art: 2-D
- AP Art: 3-D
- Dance I
- Dance II*
- Dance III*
- Honors Advanced Dance: Company Team*
- Advanced Dance: Dance Ensemble*
- Hip Hop
- Hip Hop II*
- Acting for Stage and Camera I
- Acting for Stage and Camera II*
- *Requires an audition.
Athletic Department Mission Statement:
- "Create and continuously foster an environment where each CLHS student athlete`s welfare and personal development come first! Faculty, staff and coaches are committed to enhancing spiritual growth in promoting positive character, teamwork and commitment, all while providing a fun safe environment for our student athletes learn, compete and have fun."
- General Athletic InformationCrean Lutheran High School`s Athletic Department offers a collegiate-model athletic program aimed at developing competitive student-athletes who play for God`s glory. CLHS Saints Athletics are founded upon six core values firmly rooted in the acrostic CHRIST: Commitment, Honor, Responsibility, Intelligence, Sacrifice, and Teamwork. CLHS is a member of the Empire League in the CIF-SS and sponsors 23 varsity sports for competitive athletic engagement. To ensure success in league and CIF competition, CLHS provides multiple services and amenities; including full-time staffing to administrate the study table/tutoring program, a robust strength and conditioning program as well as a sports medicine program. CLHS` CIF-certified coaching staff also assists with college recruitment services for committed student-athletes wanting to compete on the collegiate level.
- For questions regarding Crean Lutheran High School Athletics, please contact Athletic Director Eric Olson at 949)387-1199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2017-2018 Accolades:
- Boys Basketball won the CIF title.
- Tyler Guo won the Individual Boys Golf CIF and State Titles.
- Fourteen students from the Class of 2018 signed their national letters of intent to play collegiate level athletics.
- OC Varsity named Elise Garcia the Girls Swimming Athlete of the Year and Tyler Guo the Boys Golf Athlete of the Year.
- Five CLHS teams won Academy League titles, and sixteen teams made a strong run into CIF playoffs.
- Five CLHS athletes were named OC Register athletes of the
- Fall Sports
Girls & Boys Cross Country
Boys Water Polo
Boys Beach Volleyball (Competes in IBVA*)
Girls & Boys Swimming/Diving
Girls & Boys Track & Field
Girls Beach Volleyball (Competes in IBVA*)
*Interscholastic Beach Volleyball Association.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Juan Capistrano Grades: PK-12 | 1241 students
31641 La Novia
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
(949)661-0108 14.4 PK-12
- Newport Coast Grades: 9-12 | 549 students
20402 Newport Coast Drive
Newport Coast, CA 92657
(949)219-0100 10.2 9-12
- Santa Ana Grades: 9-12 | 2075 students
1202 W Edinger Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92707
(714)754-7711 8.9 9-12
- Mission Viejo Grades: K-12 | 56 students
23632 Via Calzada
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
(949)701-9086 7.2 K-12
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.