- Discovery Montessori is a school for children from preschool through eigth grade.
- It has been in operation since 1981. The school is providing Montessori program because the Montessori method of Education is a special program especially geared to respect children and their needs.
- Maria Montessori, Italy's first woman doctor developed it, in the early 1900's.
- Her materials and methods have withstood the test of time.
- The adults who work in the Montessori program are trained to be observers of the children and preparers of the children's environment.
- The emphasis is on learning rather than on teaching.
- The materials in the program are intended to help the children in their drive to sort out their experiences and master the skills they need.
- As children become more and more competent, the confidence is reinforced and they develop good feeling about themselves.
- The unique materials Montessori created are perhaps the best known aspect of the system. In 2014 Discovery Monatessori was the first US Montessori school to receive international accreditation from MEPI (Montessori Educational Programs International).
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Montessori Educational Programs International (MEPI)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||our individualized approach helps with mild learning difference, dyslexia, moderate visual or hearing impairment, sensory issues|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$2,037|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||7&8th: $895/mo K-6: $815/mo Pre-K: $305-$795 depending on schedule|
|Total Students||76 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No fliplop or open heel/toe sandals)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,335|
|Tuition Notes||7&8th: $895/mo K-6: $815/mo Pre-K: $305-$795 depending on schedule|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Starla Franks|
|Admissions Associate||Desiree Lamore|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
- Before and after school care is available for all students. We also offer a 10 week summer program. This program begins earlyJune and ends in late August. With open enrollment throughout the summer.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Port Orchard Grades: NS-8 | 116 students
151 Tremont St
Port Orchard, WA 98366
(360)876-1300 0.7 NS-8
- Bremerton Grades: NS-8 | 256 students
1234 Ne Riddell Road
Bremerton, WA 98310
(360)373-2116 5.1 NS-8
What happens if my child suddenly takes sick before the end of the school year? What if he is expelled? Answers here.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.