Eva Carlston Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (801) 449-0089
Eva Carlston Academy Photo #2 - Like exercise, nutrition impacts a girl`s wellbeing at a physical, biochemical, and emotional level. Teaching students about nutrition equips them to exercise more control over their own health.
Eva Carlston Academy Photo #3 - Our students participate in art therapy once per week (though they can elect to do more as schedules permit), which includes instruction, practice, and a therapeutic debrief with our therapists. Students who wish to pursue a specific art form in a more in-depth manner may request extra studio time and instruction.
Eva Carlston Academy Photo #4 - Each of our three houses is designed to function as an intimate, self-contained home for between eight and sixteen girls, each with its own art-therapy room, schoolroom, kitchen, dining room, and common living areas. Girls participate in all aspects of running the house, collectively making recreation decisions, governance decisions, meal plans, and household budgetary decisions.
Eva Carlston Academy Photo #5 - Music therapy utilizes non-verbal, but sound-based expression to help students access and communicate their inner state. As with all of our art therapies, previous experience or ability are unimportant and any student can benefit from the practice of sound-based expression, whether in the form of sophisticated guitar chords or simple forms of drumming.
- Eva Carlston is a private school that is gender specific for adolescent girls ages 13-18.
- Eva Carlston is a social skills based school that fosters pro-social behaviors and emotional development and growth.
- Eva Carlston is passionate about helping students learn and advance academically.
- Leadership Styles - 01/26/2020 - Our girls have been learning about Leadership Styles and the unique traits of each style. Check out this post to learn more.
- Learning How To Be Leaders - 01/23/2020 - "Time and time again, we have seen the girls step up to the challenge and embrace it. They emerge empowered with leadership skills and, we believe, ready to forge their ...moreplace in our culture and workplace while bringing about constructive changes that will benefit our communities" hide
- Lift Your Spirits: Volunteering - 01/14/2020 - Volunteering allows one to see how they can make a difference, that is why the students at Eva Carlston Academy help out at Tracy Aviary. In a world full of ...morestress and pressures volunteering is a great way to get out of your own head and lift your spirits by helping others. hide
- Let's Pan A Visit - 01/08/2020 - "Family visits are a crucial part, not only of the treatment, but also of the well-being of the girls," explains Stephanie Taylor, Eva`s Assistant Program Director.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||45 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Average SAT score||1200|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please talk to admissions.|
- Eva Carlston is an accredited school that has licensed teachers and support staff to meet students overall learning needs. Eva Carlston is located at the foot of the Wasatch Mountain Range overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. The school is perfectly situated to take advantage of both outdoor experiences and urban cultural events. Eva Carlston Academy provides a nurturing, home-like environment whereas students plan and cook meals, complete daily chores, engage in group activities, and make decisions that affect self, others and the home. Students participate in a democratic system at Eva Carlston and are encouraged to advocate for self and overall needs socially, emotionally and academically.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Salt Lake City Grades: NS-K
4555 S 2300 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84117
(801) 565-1058 1.3 NS-K
- Salt Lake City Grades: PK-K | 32 students
3280 E 3900 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84124
(801) 424-1920 1.7 PK-K
- Salt Lake City Grades: K-12 | 52 students
1880 E 5600 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
(801) 272-9405 2 K-12
I've been working with Kristi and her team for a decade now. One of the most satisfying parts of this hybrid school, which also provides intensive residential therapy, is the live school experience and how that molds to the individual needs of a student. I am always impressed to see how the Eva Carlston teachers adapt to the accommodations and special needs of the students. It is challenging to teach special needs kids in any setting, let alone residential care. But these teachers are rock stars and I am proud to work with them.
- Posted by Administrator - Steven L.
Sending our daughter to Eva Carlston Academy was one of the best things we could have done for her and for our family. The staff nurtures and teaches students using an old-fashioned method of earning privileges or consequences, depending on how they respond to daily routines. Over time, the changes in our daughter were remarkable. The staff used empathy and patience in working with her. The therapists were outstanding, with the ability to get to the truth and uncover the source of the problem. My daughter loved the classes at ECA, especially the art classes, and learned to love reading. The art teacher brought out aspects of my daughter that we never knew existed. We are grateful for ECA, Kristi and her team for what they have done for us. Definitely a five-star experience.
- Posted by Parent - Mary V
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.