Friends School of Baltimore
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Friends School of Baltimore is a private coeducational Quaker school founded in 1784 and serving students in Pre-K through 12th grade.
- "You can always tell a Friends kid." That's what college admissions officers, business leaders, and families, like yours, tell us.
- It's in the confidence, maturity, and sense of purpose they bring to every learning situation-whether in the classroom, on the playing field, on stage, or out in the community, where they work to bring about positive change.
- Visit our vibrant campus and see for yourself how Friends develops not just great minds, but great people.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||816 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 33%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||112 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced courses offered in all academic discplines including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, English, Foreign Langauges, and Math.|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||varies by grade level|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Amy Mortimer, Sr. Associate Director|
|Admissions Associate||Paula Senft|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Volleyball, WrestlingBadminton, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Dance, Field Hockey,
Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||a capella groups, acoustic music club, and rock bands., band, fiddle club, In Music we offer chorus, In theater arts we offer several shows in each division, including Middle School musical and three Upper School main-stage productions., orchestra, We offer clubs in all divisions with over 60 clubs in our Upper School. band, fiddle club, orchestra, a capella groups,|
acoustic music club,
and rock bands.,
In Music we offer chorus,
In theater arts we offer several shows in each division,
including Middle School musical and three Upper School main-stage productions.,
We offer clubs in all divisions with over 60 clubs in our Upper School.,
- Founded in 1784, Friends School of Baltimore provides a coeducational, college preparatory program guided by the Quaker values of truth, equality, simplicity community and peaceful resolution of conflict.
- By setting high standards of excellence for a diverse and caring community, Friends seeks to develop in each student the spiritual, intellectual, physical and creative strengths to make a positive contribution to the world.
- Recognizing that there is that of God in each person, the School strives in all its programs, policies and affairs, to be an institution that exemplifies the ideals of the Religious Society of Friends.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BaltimoreGrades: NS-12 | 686 students
5204 Roland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21210
- BaltimoreGrades: PK-12 | 767 students
109 W Melrose Ave
Baltimore, MD 21210
- PikesvilleGrades: PK-12 | 832 students
2425 Old Court Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
- Owings MillsGrades: KG-12 | 1305 students
8600 Mcdonogh Rd
Owings Mills, MD 21117
- BaltimoreGrades: K-12 | 613 students
822 W Lake Ave
Baltimore, MD 21210
Friends is an academic, athletic, and artistic gem that I wish we had considered much earlier than high school! Maybe the Quaker philosophy keeps their marketing less slick and less boastful than other private schools in the area, but Friends is a very challenging academic program that encourages each student to pursue a variety of interests beyond the classroom (athletic, musical, theatric, service-oriented, special interest groups). It seems to create a more multi-dimensional student where you''re just as likely to see varsity athletes sing in one of the amazing choral groups or join the Spanish Club as you are to see artistic students join the Robotics Club or play a sport. The cafeteria serves healthy, reasonably priced food that my child really enjoys. Coming from a local, preK-8, private school that boasts endlessly about being 'the best education in town'' and prides itself on handwriting, we actually find Friends students to be MUCH more intellectually curious, engaged, and interesting! It doesn't matter whether you play lacrosse or come from an old Baltimore family here. The school seems to attract and respect diversity on many levels: socio-economic, racial, political (yes, there are Republicans here!), and interests. We have been very impressed and our child LOVES it.
- Posted by Parent - jessi
- Posted by Defau
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.