Friends School Of Minnesota
5.00 (1 review)
- Friends School of Minnesota is a K-8 independent Quaker school in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- We offer a rich program rooted in progressive education where in-depth academic studies are supported by peaceful forms of conflict resolution.
- We are celebrating 25 years. We are a diverse community with students from a broad range of religious and non-religious backgrounds, including eight percent from Quaker families.
- We welcome ethnic and economic diversity; 31 percent are children of color and 34 percent of FSM families receive need-based financial aid.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
Institute for Independent Education
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||172 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,850|
|Tuition Notes||2012-13 Tuition Kindergarten – Fourth $13455 Fifth and Sixth $13850 Seventh and Eighth $14720|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Shane Zack|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
After School Music Program, Engineering Club, Spanish Club
- Started by Quakers and peace activists in 1988, Friends School of Minnesota has a student body of 168 and a faculty of 20. In the tradition of the 80 Quaker Friends Schools across the United States, Friends School of Minnesota was founded to meet children's intellectual, emotional and spiritual needs in an environment that nurtures their social consciousness. "Our mission is to prepare children to embrace life, learning, and community with hope, skill, understanding and creativity. We are committed to the Quaker values of peace, justice, simplicity and integrity."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint Paul Grades: NS-8 | 181 students
636 Mississippi River Blvd S
Saint Paul, MN 55116
(651)690-2307 3.5 NS-8
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-K | 15 students
7121 Bloomington Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55423
(612)869-8155 7.8 PK-K
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-12 | 1366 students
511 Kenwood Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55403
(952)988-3420 6.6 PK-12
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-12 | 1164 students
123 Ottawa Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55422
(763)381-8217 9 PK-12
FSM is simply the best school I''ve seen and experienced for my 2 children, and I have seen a great many. My children are happy to go to school in the morning, and are happy with school at the end of the day. The classes are small, well-organized, creative, nurturing, and are taught by highly engaged, highly educated teachers. We are not Quaker, but we love the Quaker values the school embodies. Somehow they have captured a "just right" feel meeting the developmental needs of the whole child (lots of outside time!) with a truly stimulating academic environment and curriculum. Their teaching is strong intellectually, individually, creatively, socially and emotionally. Wow, eh? It's the real deal.
- Posted by Parent - susan
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.