Friends School Of Minnesota
5.00 (1 review)
- Friends School of Minnesota is a K-8 independent Quaker school in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- We offer a rich program rooted in progressive education where in-depth academic studies are supported by peaceful forms of conflict resolution.
- We are celebrating 25 years. We are a diverse community with students from a broad range of religious and non-religious backgrounds, including eight percent from Quaker families.
- We welcome ethnic and economic diversity; 31 percent are children of color and 34 percent of FSM families receive need-based financial aid.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
Institute for Independent Education
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||158 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,850|
|Tuition Notes||2012-13 Tuition Kindergarten – Fourth $13455 Fifth and Sixth $13850 Seventh and Eighth $14720|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Shane Zack|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Music Program, Engineering Club, Spanish Club Spanish Club, After School Music Program,|
- Started by Quakers and peace activists in 1988, Friends School of Minnesota has a student body of 168 and a faculty of 20. In the tradition of the 80 Quaker Friends Schools across the United States, Friends School of Minnesota was founded to meet children's intellectual, emotional and spiritual needs in an environment that nurtures their social consciousness. "Our mission is to prepare children to embrace life, learning, and community with hope, skill, understanding and creativity. We are committed to the Quaker values of peace, justice, simplicity and integrity."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint PaulGrades: PK-6 | 109 students
636 Mississippi River Blvd S Ste 1
Saint Paul, MN 55116
- MinneapolisGrades: K-8 | 307 students
3755 Pleasant Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55409
- MinneapolisGrades: PK-8 | 279 students
2344 Nicollet Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404
- MinneapolisGrades: PK-K | 97 students
1125 5th St Se
Minneapolis, MN 55414
- MinneapolisGrades: K | 10 students
7121 Bloomington Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55423
FSM is simply the best school I''ve seen and experienced for my 2 children, and I have seen a great many. My children are happy to go to school in the morning, and are happy with school at the end of the day. The classes are small, well-organized, creative, nurturing, and are taught by highly engaged, highly educated teachers. We are not Quaker, but we love the Quaker values the school embodies. Somehow they have captured a "just right" feel meeting the developmental needs of the whole child (lots of outside time!) with a truly stimulating academic environment and curriculum. Their teaching is strong intellectually, individually, creatively, socially and emotionally. Wow, eh? It's the real deal.
- Posted by Parent - susan
September 05, 2017
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
September 05, 2017
Never lose sight of why you are planning to send your child to private school. This list of ten considerations will help you focus on the things which matter.
September 04, 2017
Use this hub to keep track of the steps in the private schools' admission process.