- The Gerstell Academy, founded in 1996 by Dr. Frederick G. Smith, is an independent, non-profit, co-educational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school offering students an educational program of excellence in a community focused on Gerstell's mission, motto, Leadership, Honor, Courage, and Gerstell's Leadership Principles. The core curriculum supports the development of leadership abilities and provides the foundation for values, knowledge and social skills essential to a Gerstell education.
- Gerstell Academy is a diverse educational community dedicated to providing a nurturing and mentoring environment where each student's potential to become a leader, to learn, to grow morally, to be physically fit, and to compete is maximized.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Independent Private Schools Association|
Association of Independent Maryland And DC Schools (JAIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||57 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP English, AP History, AP Science, AP Spanish language|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Lower School:plaid jumpers/khaki pants, navy sweaters,middle school,plaid skorts/khaki pants/Upper School Navy blazer,button down shirts, khaki skirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,413|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition depends upon school division. Above is the annual tuition for Upper School.|
|Admissions Director||Mary Louque|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Music Ensemble, Track|
Club or Organization:
Diversity Club, Lower School Math Club, STEM Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Upper School Theatre Club
- All prospective parents interview with the President as a part of the admissions process.Students applying for Pre-Kindergarten through Kindergarten are tested in January.Students applying for admission for Grades 1-Grade 4 are tested during their shadow day.Students applying for admission for Grades 5-12 are required to submit ISEE scores. Students are invited for a shadow day.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Buckeystown Grades: 9-12 | 290 students
3989 Buckeystown Pike
Buckeystown, MD 21717
(301) 662-4210 30.3 9-12
My husband and I appreciate the leadership and values that Gerstell strives to model and teach. We also appreciate the emphasis on foreign language proficiency, college prep, extra curricular activities, academics, and athletics. For a motivated student who wants to learn to become a strong leader, Gerstell is an excellent choice.
- Posted by Parent - HS Mom
Gerstell Academy is an amazing school, and I would highly recommend it. The focus on values creates an atmosphere of high academic expectations along with positive peer support. Nice kids, lots of activities a and sports.
- Posted by Parent - Maryl
Gerstell is a good school. The concentration on leadership, including public speaking and social psychology is helpful for the students. There is a good athletics program that concentrates on teamwork and leadership on the athletic field. The addition of a baseball team has given the students more opportunities for physical fitness. Started as a great school, but it still actively works to improve itself and through this leads by example.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Kathe
We love our school and look forward to many upcoming fruitful years at Gerstell. It was a very easy transition for us. Best decision we ever made.
- Posted by Parent - kruba
I would highly recommend Gerstell Academy . The faculty and administration care deeply about their students and families, and the leadership and academic curriculum is excellent. The athletic programs are great: MIAA Champions in soccer and lacrosse.
- Posted by Parent - mlouq