Holmesburg Christian Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
- HCA is a small, private Christian school in northeast Philadelphia founded and sponsored by the historic Holmesburg Baptist Church.
- HCA serves a diverse group of 200 students. We offer Preschool, Elementary, and Middle School programs (preschool through 8th grade), and are fully accredited by the Middle States Association (MSA-CESS).
- Our vision is to integrate Christian discipleship and the highest standards of educational practice into every aspect of our curriculum and school culture.
- Our goal is to shape students into intelligent, creative individuals who are equipped and inspired to excel in all their academic and vocational endeavors.
- We want to develop every student`s gifts, character, and devotion to Christ so that their aspirations and opportunities in life may be limited by nothing but God`s calling and plan for them.
- We train young hearts and minds to live and think and work by faith in the Son of God, striving always for excellence, looking for ways to love their neighbor, and to make the world better, doing everything, whether big or small, for the glory of God. Read more on our website.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Resource Specialist for learning differences|
|Total Students||201 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(khaki pants; polo/dress shirt; jumper)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,735|
|Tuition Notes||You may find more detailed tuition info here: https://www.holmesburgchristian.org/admissions/|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,500|
|Admissions Director||Walt Rice|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Soccer,|
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Enrichment, National Junior Honor Society, Sewing Club, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance Club, Drama Club, Musicals, Praise Team
- We are a small school.One on one attention. Every child needs it, and lots of it. So we keep class sizes small. This fosters a better connection between students and teachers and between teachers and parents, and it gives our school an atmosphere of family-like community that you`ll love. It also allows us to make sure every student is able to get the help they need to succeed. We strive to make them feel known, understood, and valued as they learn so that they will grow to be confident, articulate, and graceful in their social interactions and engagements.We are a school that loves "big thinking."God is bigger than we can comprehend. He made heaven and earth, galaxies and mountains, you and me. Yet He made it so that we can really know Him and understand something of Him and His plan for us in the world. In the Bible we discover what education (and everything!) is ultimately about: glorifying and enjoying Christ in everything we do. And that transforms school and learning from being a necessary evil to a delightful act of worship.So whether we`re discovering the logic of algebra, marveling at the complexity of biology, or getting lost in a well-crafted piece of literature, we know that the truth and beauty of everything we learn reflects something of Him, and that is glorious. Our students learn to think big because our gracious God is big and intimately reigning over all we do.We are an accredited and connected school.Holmesburg Christian Academy is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and is a member school of the Mid-Atlantic Christian Schools Association.We are an experienced and established school.Holmesburg Christian Academy began in 1975 with 16 children as a nursery school sponsored by Holmesburg Baptist Church. In 1978, the first kindergarten class began. Each year another grade was added until the present status of Pre-K through 8th grade was established. In 1984, the property adjacent to the church was purchased and renovated to house our Middle School which had started the previous year. In 1994, two rooms were added to the facility. Today, after 40 years, we have just over 200 students from Pre-K to 8th grade.We are a genuinely Christian school.You may read an outline of our fundamental beliefs here. The Bible, or "The Word of God Written" is our ultimate standard for what is true, good, and beautiful, and so we strive to think, teach, and conduct ourselves in a manner consistent with what God has revealed to His people throughout history, preeminently in Jesus Christ.God`s gracious work of redeeming and recreating sinners and the world through Jesus Christ is why HCA exists and why we take education seriously. God`s gracious promises assure us that in Christ our labors are never in vain.Our faculty and staff are required to make a credible profession of saving faith in Christ and to live in a manner in keeping with that confession. Parents are also required to be professing believers as a prerequisite for enrollment at HCA.And so we have an important mission.The mission of Holmesburg Christian Academy is to challenge and prepare a diverse family of learners to make a positive impact in our ever-changing world by growing their faith through academic, spiritual, and social experiences that integrate creative thinking and a Biblical worldview, all for the glory of God.Which is why we do school in a distinctly Christian way.We strive to think God`s thoughts after Him as much as possible, because He knows everything about the things He`s made. So we want God`s Word to governs the way we educate. You can read a full statement of our Philosophy of Education here.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: K-5 | 337 students
3345 W Hunting Park Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19132
(215)228-7678 8.8 K-5
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-12 | 71 students
2210 E Susquehanna Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19125
(215)426-1909 6.8 PK-12
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-8 | 100 students
220 W Upsal St
Philadelphia, PA 19119
(215)438-6557 8.3 PK-8
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-8 | 494 students
3033 Levick Street
Philadelphia, PA 19149
(215)338-9797 1.8 PK-8
This is quality education at it's best. This school is a beacon of light in the middle of a changing neighborhood. I feel safe and assured leaving my son here. Everyone welcomed our family with open arms. All the staff members/ teachers are hands on and hearts open We will definitely be continuing our education here!
- Posted by Parent - Lori
I LOVE this school! They are more like family in my opinion. The teachers are always available if you have any type of question/concern and that is extremely important to me. The classes are small so your child will get the one on one attention he or she needs. The education is top notch, both academically and spiritually. I would recommend Holmesburg Christian Academy to anyone looking for both a quality and spiritual education!
- Posted by Parent - Bob Stewart
Holmesburg is one of those places where you know your child is safe. It's small. All the teachers know each of the children. They are always mindful of those little nuances that happen throughout the day like, who had a rough day, who struggled through a test, or who scored the winning jumpshot. They are like family. The kids linger with their teachers, joke with them, simply hang out during their free time because they feel that comfortable. It's simply a relief to know they are loved and cared for this much.
- Posted by Parent - sunny
Holmesburg has enriched the lives of my children and our entire family. It is more than a school, the staff members are an extended family that sincerely cares about our children. In addition they help each child reach their academic potential. I love this school.
- Posted by Parent - gmom-
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.