Howard Gardner School Of Discovery
- Howard Gardner School for Discovery embraces a philosophy that addresses the needs of the whole child as well as practicing current, research-based education with an emphasis on Multiple Intelligences (MI) theory.
- MI theory is a way of explaining how children learn.
- It also emphasizes the diverse abilities of children and the need to assess learning using multi-dimensional evaluations.
- This approach focuses on the individual learner, emphasizing inner discipline and control across age levels, and encouraging students to become independent, self-directed learners.
- We strive to maintain the principles of democracy and respect for others and ourselves in all aspects of the educational climate.
- Additionally, the philosophy of HGSD is based on the concept of teamwork and partnership, where staff members, parents and students join together in an effort to recognize that every person has unique talents or productive skills to offer.
- Together we strive to make the school a safe place where the sharing of those ideas and talents contribute to produce the best education possible.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||145 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Scranton Grades: PK-8 | 381 students
1527 Penn Ave
Scranton, PA 18509
(570)343-7880 1 PK-8
- Old Forge Grades: PK-12 | 63 students
100 S Main St
Old Forge, PA 18518
(570)457-5392 6.2 PK-12
- Scranton Grades: PK-K | 54 students
2300 Adams Ave Marywood University
Scranton, PA 18509
(570)340-6085 0.9 PK-K
Nearby Homes for Sale
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.
Strategic planning is a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that shape and guide what an organization is, what it does, and why it does it, with a focus on the future.
Getting your child into a competitive school is a tough assignment. Don't let the many challenges overwhelm you. There is a simple solution.