Little Voyageurs' Montessori School
- Little Voyageurs` Montessori School is an educational program whose purpose is to nurture the development of each child`s unique potential promoting independence, respect, and life long skills.
Little Voyageurs' Montessori School places among the top 20% of private schools in Minnesota for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Karen Smith|
|Admissions Associate||Dawn Pearson|
- Little Voyageurs` Montessori School, established in 1968, is a non-profit, parent-operated, traditional Montessori School located in Columbia Heights, Minnesota. The school is dedicated to providing an educational program for children approximately ages 33 months through kindergarten. The program is designed to expose children to a variety of experiences that arouse curiosity and a natural desire to learn, explore, and to develop independence. The program promotes developmental growth at each child's own pace mentally, emotionally, socially, and physically.
- Our Montessori educational program is complemented by an extended day program providing a nurturing, high quality and structured learning environment for the total child. Children generally enter our program when they are between the ages of approximately 2 3/4 and 3 3/4 years old. For most, the third year is traditionally known as the kindergarten year. The three-year program allows each child to develop at their own pace and progress as far as they are able. After the third year or kindergarten year, the children leave to attend first grade. Additional flexible extended day hours are available for children who are enrolled in the Montessori program.
- Additional information about the school:
- Little Voyageurs` Montessori School (LVMS) was founded in Columbia Heights, Minnesota, in 1968 by a group of dedicated parents. It is one of the oldest Montessori Schools in the Twin Cities area providing an early childhood and kindergarten educational program. From the beginning, our mission has been to nurture the development of each child`s unique potential. In 1978 the school received its independent 501(c) 3 status.
- LVMS became accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) in December 2012. NAEYC sets a higher standard of quality programming and staff education in early childhood programs. LVMS strives to build a program that helps each child reach his/her potential.
- Little Voyageurs achieved a "4-star" Rating from the Parent Aware Program through the Department of Human Services in the fall of 2013.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-K | 39 students
11337 Flintwood Street NW
Minneapolis, MN 55448
(763)780-5111 8 PK-K
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-8 | 177 students
4030 Jackson St Ne
Minneapolis, MN 55421
(763)788-9065 1.4 PK-8
- Saint Paul Grades: NS-K | 175 students
2360 Lexington Avenue N
Saint Paul, MN 55113
(651)481-8069 6.1 NS-K
Nearby Homes for Sale
A private school handbook is essentially a set of guidelines for life in the school community.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.