Lynnhaven is a progressive independent school for learners in grades K-12 founded in 2010 by education leader Johnathan Harris.
He wanted to build a school with strong academic standards for motivated students who had an intrinsic desire to accomplish their personal best.
Over the years, his vision continues to be actualized. As a result, every graduate has gained entry into a college of their first choice.
When Mr. Harris grew up in rural southwest Virginia, as the youngest of five children, he often felt like school was in the way.
What he wanted to be doing was playing outside on his farm, playing baseball, or working at the local animal hospital where his late mother had worked.
His sister Jennifer felt the same way. She equally loved animals and grew a passion for helping people, which led to a nursing career.
She felt that learning was a lot of fun, but that school itself just wasn`t built for her.
Mr. Harris and Jennifer would talk about what the "perfect" school would look like.
Small, fun, hands-on approach to learning, problem-solving at the core of learning, and teachers connecting with students.
Mr. Harris always kept those conversations tucked away in his memory.
While he was in college, Jennifer passed away after years of health complications preparing to be a teacher.
After teaching and working in administration for a little over a decade, the dream that started between him and his sister surfaced again.
Mr. Harris knew the only way to actualize what he and Jennifer envisioned was to create a school himself. In 2010, Lynnhaven was born.
- Top Ranked VA School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Students: 49 students
- Yearly Tuition: $14,000
- Acceptance rate: 40%
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
AP English, AP US Government & Politics, AP US History, AP World History
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
Stephanie E. White
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
Chess Club, NHS, Reading club
Chess Club, NHS, Reading club
- Lynnhaven School provides a progressive hands-on college preparatory curriculum that prepares students to take the next step beyond high school. Over 95% of graduates attend a four-year university upon graduating. In most cases, students get into the college of their choice. Our students experience a significant increase in the amount of information they retain when allowed to practice what they are learning in hands-on activities. Studies have shown that when students sit and listen intently but passively in a lecture-style environment, they retain 20 percent of the presented information. When they are allowed to practice what they have just learned, that percentage increases to 75 percent. A Lynnhaven lesson often includes activities that are stimulating, active, and engaging. We have found their appetite for learning increases, and they pay more attention to detail. Students also become more empowered in their own learning situations. Hands-on learning environments also develop critical thinking skills. We teach our students to decide what to do next to receive the outcome they are striving to obtain. These critical thinking skills remain with a student instead of the material that is memorized for a test. The goal is for a Lynnhaven graduate is to have mastered the art of critical thinking so they can grow into productive citizens.
Profile last updated: 06/16/2021
Lynnhaven's unique environment delivers a challenging college-prep curriculum infused with art, hands-on projects, collaboration, and experiential learning. Small classes are taught creatively without the pressures of high stakes testing getting in the way. Your child's social-emotional growth isn't left out of the equation at here. Lynnhaven is school the way it should be. Finding Lynnhaven changed our lives for the better.
What a wonderful place. Can't say enough good things about Lynnhaven. They offer the rigor my son needs as well as the compassion and understanding to help him recover his confidence. They provide an experience unlike any other school with real hands-on learning and exposure to all Richmond has to offer.
Endorse Lynnhaven School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.