Memphis University School
Memphis University School Photo #2 - MUS has a thriving performing and visual arts program. We stage both fall and spring theater productions in Hyde Chapel, offer winter and spring musical concerts performed by our Orchestra, Studio Band, and a cappella group Beg to Differ, and host a resident visual artist on campus for a week every fall.
Memphis University School Photo #3 - Our 94-acre wooded campus offers boys plenty of spaces to enjoy the outdoors, play, and practice sports.
Memphis University School Photo #4 - Enthusiastic teachers and a supportive classroom environment keep boys engaged in learning.
Memphis University School Photo #5 - Technology is utilized appropriately throughout the curriculum to ensure boys have the 21st century skills they need to enjoy success in whatever career path they choose.
Memphis University School Photo #6 - The school community always turns out for Friday night football games. We have 14 Upper School sports and 12 Lower School sports. Our mascot is Lloyd the Owl. We have won 65 state sports championships since 1967.
Memphis University School Photo #7 - Our sports programs provide an extension of the classroom, fostering a commitment to excellence through individual, team, and program goals.
Memphis University School Photo #8 - Lower School students proudly display the sculptures they created in art class.
Memphis University School Photo #9 - The MUS Drum Corps is a popular addition to our spirited school community and our Friday night football games. The Drum Corps is regularly asked to perform at community events, as they did here at Hutchison, our sister school next door.
Memphis University School Photo #10 - A tradition of excellence remains vigorous here due to the commitment of the entire community - especially students. We encourage boys to strive for excellence because that allows them to find meaning in what they do, to play a role in something greater than themselves, and to discover a sense of competence and confidence in themselves and in their abilities.
- Memphis University School is a college-preparatory school dedicated to academic excellence, cultivation of service and leadership, and the development of well-rounded young men of strong moral character, consistent with the school's Christian tradition.
- An MUS education is characterized by a rigorous curriculum, a lively exchange of ideas, supportive teaching, integrated technology, and adherence to an honor code.
- For more than 100 years, we have provided Mid-South boys with unparalleled opportunities to develop intellectually, morally, socially, artistically, and physically, becoming leaders well-equipped to turn great ideas into action.
Memphis University School places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
- Category Attribute
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Camp costs vary. Registration opens mid-March.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||630 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language & Culture, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP United States Government & Politics, Biology II: Molecular Biology, Chemistry II: Materials Science, Economics: Finance & Theory, Economics: Management, Geology, History of Britain, History of the American South, Latin I - V, Physics C - E&M, Physics C - M, Physics II: Robotics, Recording Arts - Engineering & Performing|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||30|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$21,110|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Buck Towner|
|Admissions Associate||Emily Bailey|
|Endowment Size||$55 million|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Civic Service Organization, Ducks Unlimited, Environmental Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Hunters for the Hungry, Justice League, Latin Convention, Mock Trial, Model U.N., Newspaper Staff, Peer Tutoring, Quiz Bowl Team, Yearbook Staff, YMCA Youth Legislature
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Literary Magazine, Orchestra, Studio Band, Theater
- Memphis University School is a college-preparatory school dedicated to academic excellence, cultivation of service and leadership, and the development of well-rounded young men of strong moral character, consistent with the school`s Christian tradition.
- An MUS education is characterized by a rigorous curriculum, a lively exchange of ideas, supportive teaching, and adherence to an honor code.
- With more than 100 years of experience, we know how to provide the support, structure, and challange boys need to thrive. Young men who join the MUS family get a world-class education and join a lifelong network of successful alumni.
- Learn more about MUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1i4P95vvqE
- Please visit our Admissions page for more info! https://www.musowls.org/page/admissions
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Memphis Grades: 9-12 | 830 students
5900 Walnut Grove Rd
Memphis, TN 38120
(901)682-7801 2.2 9-12
- Memphis Grades: NS-8 | 189 students
30 Avon Road
Memphis, TN 38117
(901)435-5801 3.4 NS-8
- Memphis Grades: 7-12 | 269 students
61 N. McLean Boulevard
Memphis, TN 38104
(901)276-1221 8.6 7-12
- Cordova Grades: PK-8 | 531 students
2100 N. Germantown Parkway
Cordova, TN 38016
(901)388-7321 6.8 PK-8
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.