Memphis University School
Tel: (901) 260-1304
Memphis University School Photo #2 - MUS has a thriving performing and visual arts program. We stage both fall and spring theater productions in Hyde Chapel, offer winter and spring musical concerts performed by our Orchestra, Studio Band, Jazz Band, and the a cappella group Beg to Differ, and host a resident visual artist on campus for a week every fall.
Memphis University School Photo #3 - Enthusiastic teachers and a supportive classroom environment keep boys engaged in learning.
Memphis University School Photo #4 - Technology is utilized appropriately throughout the curriculum to ensure boys have the 21st century skills they need to enjoy success in whatever career path they choose.
Memphis University School Photo #5 - The school community supports our 14 Upper School sports and 12 Lower School sports. We have won 63 state sports championships since 1958. More important, our athletics program is an extension of the classroom, providing opportunities for students to develop character and work together as members of a team. Go, Owls!
Memphis University School Photo #6 - Lower School students proudly display the sculptures they created in art class.
Memphis University School Photo #7 - A tradition of excellence remains vigorous here due to the commitment of the entire community - especially students. We encourage boys to strive for excellence because that allows them to find meaning in what they do, to play a role in something greater than themselves, and to discover a sense of competence and confidence in themselves and in their abilities.
Memphis University School Photo #8 - More than 100 Owls got up early on an October weekend morning to package and distribute food during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our student-run Civic Service Organization served 30 local nonprofits last year.
Memphis University School Photo #9 - Students man water-balloon slingshots during X-Games, fun activities organized in fall 2020. Our 94-acre wooded campus offers boys plenty of spaces to enjoy the outdoors, play, and practice sports.
- Memphis University School is a college-preparatory school dedicated to academic excellence, cultivation of service and leadership, and the development of well-rounded young men of strong moral character, consistent with the school's Christian tradition.
- An MUS education is characterized by an engaging curriculum, a lively exchange of ideas, supportive teaching, integrated technology, and adherence to an honor code.
- For more than 100 years, we have provided Mid-South boys with unparalleled opportunities to develop intellectually, morally, socially, artistically, and physically, becoming leaders well-equipped to turn great ideas into action.
Memphis University School places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Camp costs vary. Registration opens mid-March.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||665 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language & Culture, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP United States Government & Politics, Biology II: Molecular Biology, Chemistry II: Materials Science, Economics: Finance & Theory, Economics: Management, Geology, History of Britain, History of the American South, Latin I - V, Physics C - E&M, Physics C - M, Physics II: Robotics, Recording Arts - Engineering & Performing|
|Average SAT score||1341|
|Average ACT score||30|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 10 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$21,960|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Buck Towner|
|Admissions Associate||Emily Bailey|
|Endowment Size||$55 million|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Civic Service Organization, Ducks Unlimited, Environmental Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Hunters for the Hungry, Justice League, Latin Convention, Mock Trial, Model U.N., Newspaper Staff, Peer Tutoring, Quiz Bowl Team, Yearbook Staff, YMCA Youth Legislature
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Drumline, Jazz Band, Literary Magazine, Orchestra, Studio Band, Theater
- Memphis University School is a college-preparatory school dedicated to academic excellence, cultivation of service and leadership, and the development of well-rounded young men of strong moral character, consistent with the school`s Christian tradition.
- An MUS education is characterized by a rigorous curriculum, a lively exchange of ideas, supportive teaching, and adherence to an honor code.
- With more than 100 years of experience, we know how to provide the support, structure, and challange boys need to thrive. Young men who join the MUS family get a world-class education and join a lifelong network of successful alumni.
- Learn more about MUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1i4P95vvqE
- Please visit our Admissions page for more info! https://www.musowls.org/page/admissions
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Memphis Grades: 9-12 | 861 students
5900 Walnut Grove Rd
Memphis, TN 38120
(901) 261-4900 2.2 9-12
- Memphis Grades: NS-8 | 189 students
30 Avon Road
Memphis, TN 38117
(901) 435-5801 3.4 NS-8
- Memphis Grades: 7-12 | 257 students
61 N. McLean Boulevard
Memphis, TN 38104
(901) 276-1221 8.6 7-12
- Cordova Grades: PK-8 | 531 students
2100 N. Germantown Parkway
Cordova, TN 38016
(901) 388-7321 6.8 PK-8
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.