Morningside Immersion PlayCare
Tel: (212) 316-0313
Our program offers safety, love, play, science, and the grounding of yoga, while preparing children for a future where Mandarin and Spanish will be important.
We are a 100% Mandarin and Spanish immersion program. Morningside PlayCare’s distinctive play-based and nature-based curriculum was inspired by Waldorf education, Flying Deer Nature Center, and yoga.
In 2015 Mom/Educator, Gail Foster, approached leaders in the field of early childhood education and linguistics with a vision: Let’s establish a model nursery school specifically designed to tap the emerging neuroscience on the linguistic genius of the young brain.
With support from scholars and practitioners, Dr. Foster recruited Columbia affiliated families with toddlers to collaborate in the start-up of an early childhood program that would give their children the gift of multilingualism. At Morningside PlayCare children are taught solely in Mandarin or Spanish which leads to the natural acquisition of multiple languages in the young brain.
Give your child the gift of a second language. Give your child the confidence that comes with being able to speak international languages.
Prepare your child for the future. We are looking to expand to a second site on the Upper West Side next year.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool|
|Total Students||10 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||6 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$32|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
- In-Person Early Childhood Program - This is our core program. We operate weekdays, 8am – 6pm. Children aged from infant to 4 years attend in-person. Families choose a half, full or extended day program. We recently introduced a three-day-week class as another part-time option. Morningside Immersion’s classes are small, the curriculum is play-based with 100% immersion in Spanish, Mandarin, and English. Our staff includes experienced caregivers and teachers, as well as interns which we recruit from Teachers College and NYU. View our curriculum.
- Mandarin / Spanish Remote Learning - This is our remote learning program. It serves children ages 4 – 7 with previous exposure to Mandarin or Spanish. These children engage directly with the teacher and one another in a rich, fun, and creative program that includes small group language classes, art classes, one-to-one tutoring, and an online social life with their peers. Our Intermediate Chinese/Spanish classes are for children who have fairly good comprehension skills and are ready to develop their speaking, reading, and writing skills. Our Advanced Chinese/Spanish class is for children who are fluent or have excellent comprehension skills and are ready to acquire strong speaking skills. Advanced class students are advanced-beginner readers and writers in the target language and are ready to learn more.
- Our In-Person After School Program - For PreK through 2nd grade children who already have some previous exposure to Mandarin or Spanish. These children spend 2 – 3 hours per day receiving language exposure and direct instruction that focuses on reading and writing and doing art in the target language. Depending on their level, their curriculum parallels the PreK, Kindergarten, First or Second grade curriculum for native speakers. Pick-up from English School may be available for some children.
- Remote Learning Bridge Support Program - This program is designed for Kindergarten, First or Second grade children who are attending English school. Our Remote Learning Bridge Support program allows children to do remote learning with their public or private school, from our site. With support from Morningside Immersion PlayCare staff, children login to their remote schools, follow their school’s schedule for synchronistic learning, and spend their asynchronistic and free time in our regular classrooms, engaged in our regularly scheduled activities such as yoga, lunch, outdoor time, and nature discovery. And as a bonus, spending so much daily time with us, they naturally begin to acquire another language.
- Universal PreK Plans - UPK is a government funded Pre-Kindergarten program. Enrollment is free of charge to families, because the NYC Department of Education pays the tuition. To increase the number of UPK seats available in a wide range of communities, the DOE has invited some private schools with a documented record of effective early childhood programming to participate. These classes are operated by the host private school, but their curriculum and instruction is regulated by the Department of Education. Should Morningside PlayCare opt into this program, we would open our doors in September 2021 with UPK classes targeting children who would like to learn Mandarin or Spanish or English. Enrollment in UPK is open to any child who applies. Children currently enrolled in the school and their siblings have first priority, followed by children in the school district. Morningside Immersion PlayCare is exploring UPK participation as a way to make multilingualism available to a more economically diverse population. Join our UPK Updates mailing list to stay posted on our plans.
Nearby Private Schools
The nearest high school to Morningside Immersion PlayCare is Harlem International Community School (0.5 miles away)
The nearest elementary school and preschool is Corpus Christi School (0.1 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: PK-8 | 216 students
535 W 121st St
New York, NY 10027
(212) 662-9344 0.1 PK-8
- New York Grades: PK-K | 99 students
91 Claremont Avenue
New York, NY 10027
(212) 870-6743 0.2 PK-K
- New York Grades: 2-8 | 30 students
147 Saint Nicholas Ave @ 117- 118 St
New York, NY 10026
(212) 222-6295 0.5 2-8
- New York Grades: PK-10 | 30 students
2116 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10027
(212) 222-7798 0.5 PK-10
- New York Grades: NS-8 | 379 students
619 W 114th Street
New York, NY 10025
(212) 932-1980 0.5 NS-8
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed schools profoundly. It has affected teaching and activities. We look at these changes and how they impact our lives.