5.00 (9 reviews)
Tel: (929) 400-1751
MUSE Academy Photo #2 - Math and science are taught in integrated 90 minute blocks so students can immediately apply math strategies in practical experiments they help design.;
MUSE Academy Photo #4 - Daily dance and movement instruction starting in preK 3 is part of the MUSE approach to learning.
MUSE Academy Photo #5 - Dramatic play enables students to creatively interpret the material they have learned and make it their own.
MUSE Academy Photo #6 - Daily music classes help accelerate cognitive development, language, and numerical fluency.
MUSE Academy is an independent school in Brooklyn. We seek to develop the full potential of every child as lifelong learners, expressive artists, and active citizens in his or her community.
Music, movement, and performance are central to the MUSE educational experience and profoundly contribute to cognitive and social development.
Our approach engages all the modes through which children learn and communicate including verbal, analytical, kinesthetic, spatial, social, and emotional using an inquiry-based learning model.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-2|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,000|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Deborah Bradley-Kramer|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Vidas Consolacion|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, DanceBallet, Dance,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Arts and Music, circus arts, Dance, Drama, Painting, Puppetry, Sculpture
- MUSE Academy is an independent school in Brooklyn. We seek to develop the full potential of every child as lifelong learners, expressive artists, and active citizens in his or her community. Music, movement, and performance are central to the MUSE educational experience and profoundly contribute to cognitive and social development. Our approach engages all the modes through which children learn and communicate including verbal, analytical, kinesthetic, spatial, social, and emotional using an inquiry-based learning model.
- At MUSE Academy, every day is an adventure in learning in which rigorous core academic instruction is richly intertwined with music, performance, and visual arts.Each morning, the Head of School warmly greets MUSE students as they enter the building and transition from family life to the new environment of structured learning, social development, and creative expression at MUSE Academy. Classrooms start with 15 minutes of community building and character development, typically with interactive games, song, and dance. Each classroom is governed by behavioral norms they have helped to shape as active citizens.
- MUSE Academy welcomes families to begin the journey of discovery at an early age, with our pre-K 3 and pre-K 4 classes, led by specialist teachers in early childhood education. The daily routine of our pre-K students is infused with music and the arts, from the first morning circle, where students gather with their teachers, through the afternoons filled with dance, imaginative play, and choir.Each class has a master teacher and teaching associate to provide individual attention and support to young learners. They are responsible for developing the essential academic building blocks and creating rich interconnections during specialist-led classes in musical instruments, dance, creative movement, science discovery, and visual arts.Our teaching approach engages the full range of senses - tactile, visual, olfactory, movement, rhythm - so as to fully engage young minds and keep a powerful flow of discovery and wonder.
- Long ago, in ancient Greece, it was believed that arts, sciences and languages gave human beings access to the creative spark and insight into the forces ruling the world. Education was seen as the highest good because it shaped the citizens, artists, and thinkers of the future who made civilization possible.The Greeks credited divine beings known as the Muses with the creation all known arts and sciences, as well as the education that transmitted these gifts from each generation to the next. Instruction in the full range of disciplines was seen as essential to cultivating young people of talent and character.Since then the range of scientific knowledge has exploded and music, letters, and the arts have continued to evolve. But along the way, the concept of educating the whole child with a curriculum that embraces the arts has been often lost sight of. Until now.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Brooklyn Grades: NS-4 | 42 students
212 Hicks Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(866) 664-2070 1.2 NS-4
We have our two daughters attending Muse Academy, in first grade and pre-K 4, and couldn`t be happier. We came from a well-regarded public school and private pre-school, and yet we were immediately blown away by the differences at Muse. The arts focus doesn`t mean a compromise on academics: our first grader has a diverse and rigorous curriculum, with Singapore math and an emphasis on weaving subjects together, using art and writing to learn science concepts, for instance. I`m surprised by how well our older daughter can already do computation, and our younger daughter's writing skills have markedly improved. The administration is caring and moves quickly: when we wanted our first grader to do homework at after-school, the teachers easily accommodated us. Of course, the small class sizes and low teacher-to-student ratio ensure that our children get to know the other students and that teachers really get to know everyone. The arts instruction is phenomenal. They've only had music instruction for eight weeks now, and they`re already performing in instrument ensembles. The most important thing, of course, is that our children are happy. They come home singing songs in English and Spanish, showing off ballet steps, and telling us about how to add large numbers. We feel lucky that we've entrusted Muse with our daughters` education, and we`re confident that the school will only improve as it grows.
- Posted by Parent - Mauro and Su
So happy with Muse. It's a crazy pandemic year, but even so, my first grader is learning so much and comes home so happy every day. The staff are kind and caring, and the whole environment is just lovely. Grateful to have made the choice.
- Posted by Parent - Fiona
The team at Muse has been simply extraordinary for our two children. Our son entered PreK 3 in the fall of 2019 and we were so thoroughly impressed and inspired by not only the onsite learning, but the team's capacity to switch to an engaging and enriching remote program-no small fete for kids that age. We have re-enrolled our son for PreK 4 this year as well as our daughter in PreK 3. The full onsite program has been safe and exceptional amidst an unprecedented time in NYC. We feel very fortunate to have found such an incredible program that offers our children a warm, arts based education.
- Posted by Parent - Justin
My daughter started in Pre-K 4 this fall and I am so impressed with the richness of the arts education and academics starting at a young age. She enjoys music, art, Spanish and dance instruction every single day. She can't wait to get to school every morning and comes home with a smile on her face. The school has been able to offer five days a week onsite instruction this fall and seems to be taking a very serious and thoughtful approach to health and safety issues. Recommend highly to those looking for preschool, kindergarten or grade school in Brooklyn.
- Posted by Parent - April A.
I switched my daughter from a Montessori school to Muse Academy because of her love of music and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I like that she gets music and art as part of her school day rather than my having to shuttle her to private lessons. She loves talking about her day when I pick her up, and the teachers are fantastic. The daily alerts are just the right amount of information so I'm kept abreast of her day without feeling inundated.
- Posted by Parent - Tamara
Our child has been a student of MUSE's PreK program since the school's inception. The staff and faculty are all professional, well trained, and collaborative. As a new school, they are quick to respond to parent feedback and concerns. Their curriculum challenges the kids with Singapore Math introduced at PreK. ELA and STEM projects also introduce critical components to the kids, targeting introduction of concepts a year early. That said, they meet all kinds where they are. The newly formed parents' association (MUSEPAC) is also showing early signs of strength and momentum given the short time of the school's existence. It's clear parents and faculty are working tirelessly to create a successful and welcoming environment for learning!
- Posted by Parent - FtGreeneParent
My daughter is enrolled in the preschool program at MUSE. We couldn't be happier with the instructors, who are incredibly kind, patient, fun, and well-credentialed. I also love that MUSE is dedicated to the arts and offers dance and music instruction every day.
- Posted by Parent - Laura
It was such a difficult task to find school for my son, because English language is his second one. And how happy I am now! My son enjoys each day in MUSE Academy! Teachers are incredible!
- Posted by Parent - Lidia
MUSE Academy is an independent private school located in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. MUSE Academy offers offers a preschool program, kindergarten, and private elementary school education that combines rigorous academics with an intensive focus on music and performing arts instruction. MUSE Academy`s Head of School, Deborah Bradley-Kramer, taught at Columbia University`s acclaimed core curriculum program for over 20 years and ran the Columbia University Music Performance Program for 13 years, as well as teaching at Juilliard. She has studied early music education and written about the contribution of intensive music study at a young age to accelerated cognitive and social development. The school opens its doors in the fall of 2018 and is a great choice for families that want to develop their child's full creative potential without slighting academics. The background of the faculty is incredibly impressive and we plan to enroll our daughter there when she turns three.
- Posted by Parent - Crocker Coulson
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.