- Norwood-Fontbonne Academy is Philadelphia`s oldest Catholic, independent elementary school and a National Blue Ribbon School. NFA offers families the unique choice between the Montessori program or the Primary program for ages 3 - Grade 3, followed by challenging, active learning experiences in Grades 4 - 8.
- Students matriculate to the area`s best Catholic and independent high schools. With service learning at all grade levels and 65+ annual co-curricular offerings on our 14-acre campus, NFA provides all the advantages of a large independent school in a small, nurturing community. NFA`s diverse student and parent community shares an appreciation for Catholic values, service to others, and reflective decision-making.
- Please join us for one of our upcoming Open Houses or Montessori & Pre-primary Information Nights. Private tours are available Monday through Friday.
Norwood-Fontbonne Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2014|
|Total Students||428 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,850|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K 3 & 4 year olds have half day and full day options. 5 mornings/5 afternoons: $13,850 5 mornings/3 afternoons: $13,060 5 mornings/2 afternoons: $12,670Extended Day Programs: Before Care 6:45 AM - 7:45 AM Loft 3:00 - 6:00 PM (3, 4, and 5 year olds) After Care 3:00 - 6:00 PM (grades 1-6)|
|Admissions Director||Erin Wallin|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Field Hockey,
Flag Football, Football,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Bear Print Newspaper, Book Club, Campus Ministry Delegates, Community Service Coprs, Cooking Club, Debate, NFA Lego Club, Reading Olympics, Robotics, Science Explorers, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, The Green Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorale, Digital Photography, Drama Club, Young Rembrandts Drawing Class, Zumba
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cheerleading, Girls on the Run, Matt Paul All Ball, Matt Paul Basketball, Matt Paul Flag Football, Running Club, Soccer Shots, Yoga
- Norwood-Fontbonne Academy, founded in 1920 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, is an independent Catholic Academy for boys and girls from preschool level through grade eight. The student population reflects ethnic, racial, religious and geographic diversity. NFA's curriculum includes a Montessori program, as well as a creative interactive classroom program. The Academy features small class sizes and the option of an extended day program. NFA continues to respond to the ever-evolving needs of its students. Norwood-Fontbonne Academy exists to convey Gospel values and the enjoyment of learning so that students may be better able to make reflective choices as self-directed persons who treasure themselves, all others and the earth. The resulting faith formation and social consciousness are lived out through prayer and actions in a school-wide Service Learning program. A rich tradition of striving for excellence through diversified academic, co-curricular, and enrichment programs is augmented by the development of the person. Preparation of students for leadership roles in the multicultural and technological future is an integral part of the teaching philosophy. Norwood-Fontbonne Academy continues to find creative ways to embody the mission of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, "to live and work so that all people may be united with God and one another."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-8 | 242 students
17 E Chestnut Hill Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118
(215)247-1060 0.3 PK-8
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-7 | 91 students
220 W Upsal St
Philadelphia, PA 19119
(215)438-6557 2.8 PK-7
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.