- Norwood-Fontbonne Academy is Philadelphia`s oldest Catholic, independent elementary school and a National Blue Ribbon School. NFA offers families the unique choice between the Montessori program or the Primary program for ages 3 - Grade 3, followed by challenging, active learning experiences in Grades 4 - 8.
- Students matriculate to the area`s best Catholic and independent high schools. With service learning at all grade levels and 65+ annual co-curricular offerings on our 14-acre campus, NFA provides all the advantages of a large independent school in a small, nurturing community. NFA`s diverse student and parent community shares an appreciation for Catholic values, service to others, and reflective decision-making.
- Please join us for one of our upcoming Open Houses or Montessori & Pre-primary Information Nights. Private tours are available Monday through Friday.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2014|
|Total Students||396 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,050|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K 3 & 4 year olds have half day and full day options.|
|Admissions Director||Erin Wallin|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Field Hockey,
Flag Football, Football,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Band, Book Club, Ceramics, Choir, Community Service Corps, Cooking, Forensics, Reading Olympics, Robotics, Write Brain, Yoga, Young Artists Society Band, Book Club, Ceramics, Choir, Cooking, Forensics, Robotics, Write Brain, Yoga, Community Service Corps,|
Young Artists Society,
- Norwood-Fontbonne Academy, founded in 1920 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, is an independent Catholic Academy for boys and girls from preschool level through grade eight. The student population reflects ethnic, racial, religious and geographic diversity. NFA's curriculum includes a Montessori program, as well as a creative interactive classroom program. The Academy features small class sizes and the option of an extended day program. NFA continues to respond to the ever-evolving needs of its students. Norwood-Fontbonne Academy exists to convey Gospel values and the enjoyment of learning so that students may be better able to make reflective choices as self-directed persons who treasure themselves, all others and the earth. The resulting faith formation and social consciousness are lived out through prayer and actions in a school-wide Service Learning program. A rich tradition of striving for excellence through diversified academic, co-curricular, and enrichment programs is augmented by the development of the person. Preparation of students for leadership roles in the multicultural and technological future is an integral part of the teaching philosophy. Norwood-Fontbonne Academy continues to find creative ways to embody the mission of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, "to live and work so that all people may be united with God and one another."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 1101 students
500 W Willow Grove Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-8 | 222 students
17 E Chestnut Hill Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-8 | 318 students
5511 Greene St
Philadelphia, PA 19144
- PhiladelphiaGrades: NS-8 | 360 students
6445 Bingham St
Philadelphia, PA 19111
- PhiladelphiaGrades: NS-8 | 205 students
319 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.