The Crefeld School
- The Crefeld School is an independent, gender inclusive day school, serving grades seven through twelve.
- The Crefeld School's mission is to graduate self-aware, empathetic, lifelong learners, who possess an appreciation for diverse perspectives, their role in society, and their ability to act as agents of change. Located in Chestnut Hill, Crefeld provides an intentionally different college preparatory program to help students become their best selves.
- We embrace a diverse community in which all members are safe, respected, and valued; and we believe that in actively promoting this type of learning environment, we are fostering intellectual, social, and emotional growth for all. We celebrate and value the many ways our community is diverse, including: Ethnic/Racial/Faith,
- Geographic (~100 students from ~55 zip codes), Socioeconomic, Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity,
- Family Systems, and Neurodiversity. Why do families choose Crefeld? Crefeld is a different kind of school where nobody is the same and everybody can succeed. Everyone has their own unique strengths that add value to the community. Small class sizes, close relationships with teachers and peers from all backgrounds, along with responsive academic and emotional support creates a challenging, creative, and flexible learning environment tailored to each student`s strengths.
- Who comes to Crefeld? Students from varied backgrounds & walks of life looking for: A Progressive, Student-Centered School
- A Safe School that Values Each Student Extra Learning and/or Emotional Support in a College Prep Environment
- Students Who are Smart, Creative, Collaborative Students, who want to take ownership of their learning
- Crefeld is accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Crefeld School places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Gifted; Mild Learning Differences; ADHD; High Functioning ASD|
|Total Students||101 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,995|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid is Available|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Didi Scott|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, CheeringBasketball, Cheering,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Perspectives (Diversity) Committee, Queer Straight Alliance
Arts and Music Programs:
Bookbinding, Drawing & Painting, Glassblowing Studio, Mixed Media Sculpting, Modern Dance, Music Performance, Printmaking, Sewing, Theater
- The Crefeld School has an intentionally different approach to a college-prep education-one that empowers every student to grow to their strengths, find meaning in their learning, and feel ownership of their school community. Challenging academics, a focus on social justice and service, and authentic relationships, allow students to become their best selves. In a school that is small by design, with a robust advisory system, students are trusted and respected as individuals, supported and challenged, and become empathetic, lifelong learners. After completing the culminating experience of Graduation by Exhibition, students have identified their passions and talents, know how to address their challenges, and are equipped to achieve their full potential in college and as engaged citizens.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: 9-12 | 48 students
111 N 49th St
Philadelphia, PA 19139
(215)471-4900 8 9-12
- Newtown Grades: 9-12
1690 Newtown Langhorne Road
Newtown, PA 18940
(215)579-6547 18.2 9-12
- Philadelphia Grades: K-8 | 108 students
5001 Spruce St 21
Philadelphia, PA 19139
(215)747-3347 8.5 K-8
this was an outstanding choice for my daughter , and for our entire family! Crefeld faculty are caring, supportive, original - they cared for her and gave her room to be herself. Students there have the chance to work in a glass studio, to travel for a week each year, even to travel internationally. We saw our daughter grow into many new opportunities because she felt so safe there. NO bullying or harassment is tolerated at all. The entire community feels connected to each other and they all celebrate each other's achievements. And at the end of the day, the academic outcomes are terrific - great college acceptance rate, great scholarship offers... You can get to those same results without the stress of AP exams, constant pressure and anxiety! If you are concerned with the direction public education has been forced to take, tour Crefeld and know there is an alternative !
- Posted by Parent - kmart
I am thankful that Crefeld is part of my life. This has been a place that has given me many, many amazing friends. My academics are much better here, compared to my old school, and Crefeld has a strong art program including a glass studio. I found a love for glass blowing here that I believe will last me for the rest of my life. The school administration isn't very good but many of the individual teachers are amazing. If you have a kid who is a little bit different you should send them to Crefeld. They will meet people who are just like them, people who understand them and people who care about them. Crefeld is a community of really special people and it has become a family to me in my years here.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - iwish
I was a transfer student at Crefeld after having a miserable time at GFS. Crefeld provided some control over your education. You had to take required courses but like a college there was your input in which english or science class you wanted .This made me learn more,took more chances in exploring ideas I may not have done before. I loved school again.I went 1980-82 and I can say Mark Goodman was a teacher who was one of the best teachers i ever had. He even created an accelerated class for me and another student ,we had opposite views on the subject and we learned how to listen to both sides.I remember Crefeld encouraging creativity,curiosity and a love for learning.The teachers were involved in helping with teen problems,They were part of the village that raises children.I was allowed to teach theatre class as i had been acting for years. The final result was a play in my families theatre. The teachers were amazing.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - tracy
Crefeld is a wonderful school. My son looks forward to going every day. Great attention is paid to his academic and personal development. This school is a dream come true.
- Posted by Parent - lhsmo