Shepherd Of The Valley Preschool
5.00 (11 reviews)
- Shepherd of the Valley offers its students an excellent "whole person" preparation for life where the challenges of learning and achieving are exciting.
- Academic studies are very important to us and for our students, but as important as we feel academics are Shepherd feels strongly that students must also develop self-confidence, responsibility, self-discipline, independence, integrity, and group skills in order to successfully meet the challenges they will face in the future.
- All of our teachers are highly qualified and motivated, all classes have teacher assistants, and everyone gives loving and nurturing care to every student.
- Shepherd of the Valley has been continuously providing top quality education for 48 years at the same location.
- We are committed to quality care and learning. Our students are exposed to experiences that promote fundamental skills in the following areas: Social-Emotional, Math, Science, Art, Language, Music and Movement, and Dramatic Play. These fundamental learning experiences promote academic skills that will enhance their next steps in education.
Shepherd Of The Valley Preschool places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Evangelical Lutheran Education Association (ELEA)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,250|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool tuition ranges from $3230 to $8100 for two, three, or five day programs.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Claudia Zavala-Lanz|
|Admissions Associate||Wendy Torres|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Dance, Martial Arts, SoccerDance, Martial Arts,|
- Our unique approach to learning combines all the rigor, breadth, and depth of the finest schools in the San Fernando Valley with a school culture unmatched in its warmth and sense of community. Your child will emerge from Shepherd with confidence, independence, and a love of learning that will last a lifetime. Situated in a beautiful and secure neighborhood in West Hills, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Preschool has been building the minds and nurturing the hearts of children in the valley for over 50 years. Our families are precious to us, and we pride ourselves in the fact that we truly know each student and are equipped to guide them towards their full potential academically, spiritually, and emotionally. Shepherd`s students graduate as compassionate, knowledgeable, independent thinkers who desire to make a positive mark on the world we live in.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Canoga Park Grades: K-8 | 181 students
22041 Gault St
Canoga Park, CA 91303
(818)592-2894 2.3 K-8
- Woodland Hills Grades: NS-K | 237 students
23022 Victory Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818)883-0607 1 NS-K
- Woodland Hills Grades: K-8 | 265 students
6061 Valley Circle Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818)340-2130 0.9 K-8
If you''re looking for a small faith base school, SOV is it! This school has the whole package of great teachers, staff, sports teams, extracurricular activities and before/after school care. Our daughter has attended SOV since kindergarten and will be graduating this year. This school has given her the foundation she will need in middle school academically, spiritually and socially. We couldn't be more pleased.
- Posted by Parent - brend
We are now officially well into our 2nd round with SOV. Having a daughter now 21 that went through SOV from 2-6, then on to West Valley Christian and then Chaminade, and now with 7 year old twins in the second grade, I can not say enough for the gratitude we have for Shepherd. Under the guidance of a phenom staff, headed by the principal Mrs. Haskell, through the ranks to the clubhouse staff, we have always known we made the correct choice. Currently class size is the smaller than any school I have ever encountered, which equates to a higher love/child quotient, which result in excellent academic results. One of the things I have been happiest about, is that when it is necessary to leave our children after school in clubhouse, they always come home with their homework 100% done. SOV defitinely knows how to keep its eye on the ball.
- Posted by Parent - steph
We are so lucky to have found this wonderful school. There is nothing else like it in the Valley. Small class sizes give the teachers time to work with each child individually. Kids are respectful and take care of each other. Truly an amazing school!
- Posted by Parent - hanan
This school is excellent - caring teachers, nurturing and safe, loving, high academic standards and plenty of hands-on learning. My daughter is in fourth grade and has been here since K, she is confident, mature and thoughtful toward others. She is excelling in math. Kids are polite and respectful of one another. A warm and friendly parent community. HIghly recommend!
- Posted by Parent - gerwe
Children feel loved and supported and that means a great deal!
- Posted by Parent - Olgal
Three years ago, we were lucky enough to find this wonderful place! The children are happy and well-blended with combined classes and lots of cross-grade activities, making this a safe and nurturing place for all ages. WASC approved and academically challenging without bombarding your child with needless homework. We love SOV!
- Posted by Parent - jenny
A wonderful school with a caring staff that addresses the needs of the whole child.
- Posted by Parent - julie
Great school,the quality of the teachers are impressive,all staff are kind,and the parents involving is impressive.The sports programs are good.My son is so happy and learning a lot.
- Posted by Parent - adria
My family loves SOV. Our children received an excellent education and built a loving christ filled foundation that carried them through middle and hugh school.
- Posted by Parent - karik
This is an excellent school. I attended K-6th myself and now my son is attending (preschool - 6th). The classes are small, which allows for him to receive individualized attention from the teacher. The classes also participate in music, Spanish, computers, and field trips. There is chapel each week, which provides an opportunity for the kids to practice performing in front of a group (speaking and singing). The staff really cares about he kids and makes sure they are taken care of. There is a great shaded playground. The after-school program (Club House) is also great as well as the camps and programs offered during school breaks and summer. A bonus for me is the easy drop-off and pick-up because of the large parking lot that parents can use.
- Posted by Parent - jodia
This school is small, nurturing, academically challenging and really does give one-on-one attention to each child. My daughter has thrived here, coming in as shy and now blossoming as a leader. Our friends and family love this school, too. Can't recommend it enough.
- Posted by Parent - gerwe
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.