St Benedict's Preparatory School
5.00 (1 review)
- The Benedictine Monks of Newark Abbey, committed to the city of Newark by our vow of Stability of Place, sponsor and staff Saint Benedict's Prep, a Catholic preparatory school for boys in grades seven through twelve.
- In the fifteen-hundred-year-old tradition of monastic schools, Saint Benedict's witnesses to the Good News of Jesus Christ through what the Church calls a preferential option for the poor.
- By design, then, the student population reflects the racial, religious and socioeconomic mixture of the school's primary drawing area (the nearby urban neighborhoods of Newark, East Orange and Irvington), but includes residents of outlying towns as well.
- Many of our students come from a background which is severely impoverished by the racism of our society and which leaves them at a competitive disadvantage in academics and indeed in daily living.
- We enlist men and women who share our vision to assist us in our task of helping parents in their sacred duty of educating their children according to Christian principles.
- Thus we offer a demanding college prep curriculum in the setting of a community that stresses Christian values, especially self-respect, fraternal cooperation and the primacy of the spiritual dimension in every phase of a person's life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
State or regional independent school association
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||558 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||27:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- West OrangeGrades: 9-12 | 951 students
120 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
- LivingstonGrades: 6-12 | 599 students
91 South Orange Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
- ElizabethportGrades: 5-12 | 158 students
227 Court St
Elizabethport, NJ 07206
- MontclairGrades: 9-12 | 173 students
33 Cottage Place
Montclair, NJ 07042
- RamseyGrades: 9-12 | 848 students
492 N. Franklin Turnpike
Ramsey, NJ 07446
I think It's wonderful that my son has the opportunity to learn Rowing Crew. I don't think he would have even considered the sport had he not become a St. Benedict student. He looks forward to going to school every morning. He even painted his room the school colors. I like that the boys are encouraged to be team players and to push themselves beyond the limits.
- Posted by Parent - sylsi
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.