St. James Academy
5.00 (3 reviews)
- For the past 60 years, St James Academy has exemplified the blending of outstanding academic education with caring Catholic values.
- As the challenges of contemporary life evolve, St James Academy continuously evaluates the best processes to enable our students to meet the current and future needs of our community.
- The vision for St James Academy is to enable students, educators, and our community to gain both the desire and the opportunity to practice Christ-centered action in everyday life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||239 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Surf Team, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Flag Football,|
Surf Team, Track and Field,
- The Catholic Faith Community of St. James Academy weaves Christ's message into the fabric of each school day so that the whole child can develop in body, mind and spirit. Working within an educational program that integrates spiritual, moral, academic, social, cultural and physical precepts, the faculty and staff assist parents in the education of each child. In modeling Christ's teaching, we strive to prepare children to live in the world as responsible citizens and as faithful stewards of creation in an ever changing environment. We provide a student-centered, Catholic-based curriculum which values cultural and intellectual diversity in our commitment to excellence.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Encinitas Grades: PK-8 | 432 students
3616 Manchester Avenue
Encinitas, CA 92024
(760)942-1111 2.6 PK-8
- La Jolla Grades: K-8 | 253 students
2390 Nautilus St
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858)459-6074 10.5 K-8
- La Jolla Grades: NS-8 | 230 students
2225 Torrey Pines Lane
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858)454-0184 9.3 NS-8
St. James Academy is a fantastic school. We moved from Portland, OR four years ago and toured 8 schools in the area. We chose St. James Academy and have been happy every day since! Our children continue to thrive in the nurturing environment that SJA provides. The academics are outstanding. Faith and love fill the school. The Fine Art, Performing Arts, Athletics, Foreign Language, and Leadership Program have been awarded in the community and are amazing. We have won the CA Green Ribbon Award three years in a row and recently recognized and awarded nationally. There is an outdoor classroom nestled in an indigenous garden along with a Monarch Butterfly sanctuary. There is an all school mass weekly that each class leads where the Jr. High students sit with the Kindergarten-second grade students acting as mentors/role models. We have an amazing athletics program with two phenomenal coaches that instill teamwork, communication, health, and fun into every class. We offer sports teams K-8. Our preforming arts program is stellar with our students being invited and having the privilege of singing at Carnegie Hall early. Fine, I offer arts to every grade with an hour and a half elective for the Jr. High. They have won Best in Show at the San Diego Fair two years in a row. The spirit on campus is electric! The students exude confidence and kindness. St. James Academy is one of a kind.
- Posted by Parent - Susan H
This school and community have been a family for us. Both my daughters had different needs and both thrived in the environment. I cannot say enough good things about the staff and families, the amount of love and support, and quality of education my kids have experienced. I am a huge supporter of st. James Academy.
- Posted by Parent - Momof2
After an exhaustive search of the North County parochial schools we choose SJA for our son. We have been with the school for three years. SJA is a great fit for us. Our son had 4 years of Montessori education before starting 1st grade at SJA. We found the methods used here align well with the solid academic foundation he had developed. When touring the school we noticed the central location of the music/choir room. I think this program is what fosters the community spirit at SJA. All children participate and the singing creates a positive buzz around campus. Being a costal family, we support and love the surf team program. Friday afternoons kids from all grades gather at San Elijo state beach for surf practice. Those kids that are to young (<6th grade) just enjoy time hanging out in the water. We love SJA and recommend it for any family that wants a school with solid academics, Christian community spirit in an intimate setting and the ability to make life nurturing friendships
- Posted by Parent - James
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.