St. Mark The Evangelist School
St. Mark the Evangelist School has been serving the youth of Harlem for over 100 years.
Founded by St. Katharine Drexel in 1912, St. Mark's was the first Catholic school for African-American students in New York City.
The school is accredited by the Middle States Association and is a participant in the Extended Day program through the Archdiocese of New York.
Our school day runs from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with an optional After School Program until 6 p.m. This additional time has led to an increase in standardized test scores across the board.
The school has an extremely dedicated, enthusiastic faculty and staff with a low teacher turnover rate. Because St. Mark's has a strong sense of community and a warm family feel, it is truly a home away from home for many of our students.
St. Mark's is a school where the students are loved, challenged, and encouraged to reach their potential.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 241 students
- Yearly Tuition: $4,450
- Average class size: 23 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
(Required school uniform)
(Required school uniform)
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Art, Ballroom Dance, Boys and Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, Chess, Gospel Choir, Music, Physical Education, Robotics
- Every student at St. Mark's has 90 minutes of instruction in both reading and math every day. Our emphasis on academics is demonstrated by our students' consistently superior test scores, surpassing public as well as charter schools' average scores in our own District 5.
- In addition to our core curriculum, St. Mark's offers a number of extracurricular and enrichment programs. Read on to learn more!
- Library - Our recently renovated library contains over 5,000 volumes and is staffed by a full-time librarian. Every year, well-known authors and illustrators visit St. Mark's through our Author Study Program to speak to and work with our students. Visitors include National Book Award finalist and Newberry Medal winner Richard Peck and Coretta Scott King Award winner Bryan Collier.
- Physical Education - Every student enjoys weekly Physical Education classes that emphasize health and fitness. Every year, our Physical Education program culminates in the much-anticipated Sports Day and Picnic. Our girls' and boys' basketball teams are open to students in Grades 5 through 8, and they compete regularly against other Catholic Schools in Manhattan.
- The music program at St. Mark's is offered in partnership with Education Through Music. Students enjoy music classes once or twice a week, and they perform twice a year in school-wide concerts. Students also have access to a variety of string, wind, and percussion instruments. Students in Grades 5 through 8 have the opportunity to audition for the school Gospel Choir, Voices of Praise, which practices twice a week after school and performs regularly at Mass.
- All students enjoy weekly Art classes through the Creative Classrooms studio art program. Students in grades 2-5 also participate in Learning to Look art appreciation classes.
- Students in 4th, 5th, and 8th grades participate in American Ballroom Theater's Dancing Classrooms program.
- St. Mark's is equipped with state of the art technology. We have SMARTBoards and video streaming in every classroom, as well as a computer lab with over 40 computers and laptops.
Endorse St. Mark The Evangelist School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Reasons Why You Might Change Schools
Here are five reasons why you might want to change schools.
2020-21 Best SSAT Prep Courses Reviewed
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.