5.00 (5 reviews)
- Harlem Academy is an academically rigorous independent school for children whose aptitude for success in higher education might otherwise go unrealized.
- Working in partnership with families.our goal is for each student to attain the level of scholastic achievement and personal development required to enter and thrive at a top secondary school, while setting a course for life long learning and contribution to our world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Total Students||128 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||The Tuition for Harlem Academy is on a sliding scale.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Prince|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Beats and Bars: Lyrics and Lines/Production and Editing, Chess Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Fiber Arts, Game Club, Harlem Academy Newspaper, Literary Magazine, Lower School Service Club, Musical Theatre, Shakespeare Club, Sports Camp, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Pottery Club, The Visual Arts Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Boot Camp Club, Dance Fitness Club, Sports Camp
- Harlem Academy inspires excellence with a rigorous curriculum wrapped in a joyful and ethical school culture. We foster confidence by setting up real challenges for all our students, nurturing their talents, and supporting them to meet their goals. We work with focus and determination but take time to celebrate each other`s achievements and share in life`s special moments.Skill development is the foundation of a Harlem Academy education. We believe that core academic skills (reading, writing, and mathematical reasoning) and strong character habits (initiative, integrity, compassion, and determination) are the key ingredients students need for success at top secondary schools and as contributing members of the community. To build these skills, our approach combines depth, practice, challenge, and engagement in every curricular area.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: PK-10 | 30 students
2116 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10027
(212)222-7798 0.8 PK-10
- New York Grades: PK-12 | 58 students
2345 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10035
(212)348-7380 0.9 PK-12
- New York Grades: 2-8 | 30 students
147 Saint Nicholas Ave @ 117- 118 St
New York, NY 10026
(212)222-6295 0.5 2-8
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1329 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5450 1.2 K-12
I have 2 daughters who go to HA and they are thriving. Both of them enjoy going to school. They are challenged and have a wide array of choices for electives from sports to arts. Small class size and friendly faculty. They experience different school trips that expose them to different careers and passions. It is a great environment and would definitely recommend Harlem Academy, glad our children go there.
- Posted by Parent - Jennifer
I think that Harlem Academy is a wonder school of learning and socialization for any child. The students are eager to learn and the teachers are well prepared to teach those hungry minds all the wonders of an education.
- Posted by Parent - Robert
My son has been attending Harlem Academy for the past 2 years and he loves it! The staff creates a warm and open environment that promotes a positive environment for my child to learn and develop. His teachers go out of their way to make learning a fun experience. They also make a genuine effort to help with his progress and development. I highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - Renae
Harlem Academy is truly a hidden gem. This is my son`s second year at this school. I chose Harlem Academy because I truly believed in their mission to provide an educational environment that provides opportunities for all students. My son has blossomed into a thoughtful, well-spoken, critical and independent thinker. During my time at Harlem Academy, I noticed that the upper school students are unique, well-grounded, and driven individuals. This school caters to each individual student`s learning styles, interests, and personality. Their mission is about developing the whole child; therefore, techniques are in placed to support them. I am so thankful to his teachers and support staff with supporting my son`s development and making learning encounters more relevant and effective for him. I have no doubt that he will be well prepared for high school!
- Posted by Parent - Tyiesha Hoskins
Our son has been attending Harlem Academy since 1st grade and is currently in 7th grade. He continues to look forward to going to school everyday. The staff and teachers at Harlem Academy are caring and cultivating. The school offers electives all of which our son enjoys participating in such as Chess, Pottery Class, Soccer, Running, just to name a few. We are confident that this school has set a solid foundation for his learning path. Harlem Academy has taught him to be an independent thinker and learner. We are assertive we made the BEST choice for our son at Harlem Academy. We HIGHLY recommend Harlem Academy.
- Posted by Parent - Edward
Identifying or evaluating private schools is the second part of the private school search process.
Sooner or later you ought to consider a single-sex school as opposed to a traditional coeducational school. Why? For several reasons.
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.