STAR Prep Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
STAR Prep Academy Photo #2 - STAR Prep students host Japanese students from all parts of Japan, and participate in academic, art, fashion, and music classes together...
STAR Prep Academy Photo #3 - STAR Prep Academy prepares its students to be lifelong learners, empowered leaders, critical thinkers, expressive communicators and global citizens.
STAR Prep Academy Photo #4 - Student elective opportunities range from playing at internationally known music venues to participation in an award winning film program.
STAR Prep Academy Photo #5 - Our close-knit, diverse community allows students to form strong lifelong bonds and friendships.
STAR Prep Academy Photo #6 - Our students bond on outdoor education adventures during first part of school year...
STAR Prep Academy Photo #7 - Our students work with Diavolo Dance Theatre to create dynamic movement pieces during their Spring semester.
STAR Prep Academy Photo #8 - Marine Biology class explores the tide pools of Palos Verdes Peninsula...
- STAR Prep Academy is an extraordinary gifted and talented private school for middle & high school students who seek an individualized approach to learning.
- STAR Prep Academy's innovative approach to engaging and inspiring children, encourages children to be active participants in their own learning, as well as nurturing analytical thinking along with college-style courses, project based learning and interdisciplinary study.
- STAR Prep Academy is located in the Fine Arts Complex at WLA College.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||46 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English, AP Psychology|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,500|
|Tuition Notes||STAR Prep Academy provides a limited amount of financial assistance.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tery Arnold|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Dance, Fencing, Gymnastics, Martial Arts, Track and Field, WeightliftingDance, Fencing,|
Gymnastics, Martial Arts,
Track and Field, Weightlifting,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
ECO Club, Gaming Club, Leadership, Model UN
Arts and Music Programs:
Film Festival, Literary Cafe, Outside Learning Experiences ("OLE"), Rock and Jazz Bands
- STAR Prep Academy students exhibit strengths in a variety of areas. Our broad elective options attract students who are talented in the areas of performance or fine arts, while our college prepratory curriculum is based on apllication over rote memorization.
- The background of our students is also extremely diverse. We have several students who enroll directly from a home school environment because our supportive, small learning community is a perfect transition for students who have not attended a traditional school setting. In addition, several students have enrolled from other small private schools and find our design comfortable and familiar. Finally, many of our students come from large public schools that have not addressed their needs and are inspired by STAR Prep's structure to assist them in their learning.
- What results in these factors is a student body that represents multiple walks of life as well as reflecting the composition of the surrounding communities. STAR Prep believes that this diversity enriches the entire student body and creates an atmosphere that helps to prepare its students for success in the real world. Some of the factors that make STAR Prep Academy unique are: 10:1 maximum class size, connection to STAR Education Professionals, Internships and Veterinary science opportunities with the STAR Eco Station, technology throughout the curriculum, project-based, thematic hands-on learning, real-life application, outside learning opportunities ("OLE'S), consistent family communication, individualized academic support, safe nurturing environment, acceleration opportunities with WLA College, state-of-the-art music recording studio, innovative creative arts program, diverse electives (music, theatre, film, visual arts, fashion, technology) and physical education classes (ex. fencing, stage combat, capoeira, yoga, creative movement with Diavolo Dance)
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 725 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)397-3134 2.4 K-12
- Santa Monica Grades: K-12 | 1185 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310)829-7391 5.2 K-12
I couldn't be happier with my experience at STAR Prep Academy. The school has been very supportive of my child and family. Middle school is always a difficult time, but I felt that STAR did a great job of helping my child and he is now thriving in the high school.
- Posted by Parent - afinn
STAR Prep Academy is like no other school that I have come across in my many years of experience as an educator in public, private and charter environments. This school truly makes a difference in the lives of the students it works with. This school is not for everyone, but for those who are a good fit, it can mean the world.
- Posted by Administrator - zahir
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.