- No other school in Middle Georgia can boast the success that Stratford Academy has seen in college preparation and placement. Annually, 100% of graduates matriculate at colleges and universities in-state and out-of-state.
- Students from age three to grade 12 are nurtured in a learning community which prides itself on teaching "how to think" not "what to think."
- Since its founding in 1960, Stratford Academy's core purpose has been to provide superior preparation for our students to excel at college and in life.
- We are Middle Georgia's oldest non-sectarian independent school welcoming of all faiths and backgrounds.
- Our school motto is "Freedom for Excellence" and each student is challenged to pursue excellence in his/her chosen courses of study, activities or endeavors.
- For 2020-2021, Stratford has implemented a "Return to Campus" plan which puts student and faculty health and safety as the top priority. Please visit stratford.org/COVID-19 to learn more.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||799 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||87 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Economics, AP French, AP Geography, AP Latin, AP Modern European History, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Language and Composition, Language and Literature, U.S. Government and Politics|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies from $6,205 to $15,480 depending on the chosen payment plan and the grade of the student.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Admissions Director||Lori Palmer|
|Admissions Associate||Marilyn Holton-Walker|
|Endowment Size||$4.9 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||37 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anti-Defamation League (ADL), Beta Club, Chess Team, Community Service Club, Debate Team, Ecology Club, Film Club, Foreign Language Club, French Club, French Honor Society, Girl Talk, Global and Community Awareness Club, Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) Club, Journalism Club, Key Club, Latin Club, Latin Honor Society, Literary Magazine, Math Team, Peer Mentor Program, Pep Club, Personal Finance and Investment Club, Quiz Bowl Team, Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society, Student Activities Board, Student Ambassador Program, Student Issues Board, Students Advocating Life Without Substance Abuse (SALSA) Club, Writers' Guild, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama Club, Literary Team, Marching Band and Color Guard, Pep Band, symphonic band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Student Outdoor Adventure Recreation (SOAR) Club
- Stratford Academy was founded in 1960 by a group of Macon parents who felt that the Middle Georgia area needed an independent college preparatory school. In September of 1960, the school opened its doors to 117 students and 17 faculty members in the antebellum Overlook Mansion on Coleman Hill in Macon's historic district. Thirteen students became Stratford's first alumni in 1962, and since that time more than 3,200 young people have been graduated from the school.
- The current facilities were built in 1974 on more than seventy acres of wooded land in northwest Bibb County. The school completed its move when the Lower School and Kindergarten came to the campus in 1978. The new buildings represent a contemporary contrast to Overlook Mansion and house the four school divisions: Preschool, Lower School, Middle School, and Upper School. Completed in August 2000, the 17,500 square foot Olson Library continues the tradition of excellence by providing a state-of-the-art facility that creates a superior learning environment and provides the best in education experience for Stratford students. In 2011, Stratford opened its state-of-the-art Science Center for students in grades 6-12. The final piece to the campus master plan is the 28,000-square-foot Cantrell Lower School which opened in the fall of 2016. In August 2017, the Daws Student Activities Center opened. It houses a second, competition-size gymnasium, an art/music suite for preschool and lower school students, aftercare classroom space, and a girls' fitness multi-purpose room.
- Today, Stratford is a school community of 825 students and more than 130 faculty and staff. Graduating classes boast 100 percent matriculation at colleges and universities in Georgia and across the U.S.
- The school is a member of the NAIS, SACS, GHSA, GISA, SAIS, and the College Board. In 1982, Stratford earned accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Macon Grades: PK-12 | 800 students
5671 Calvin Drive
Macon, GA 31210
(478) 477-6505 0.6 PK-12
- Macon Grades: PK-12 | 569 students
111 Trojan Trl
Macon, GA 31210
(478) 477-6760 3 PK-12
We have been more than satisfied with our children's education this far. We love the enthusiasm, the caring teachers, and the feeling of home. We look forward to 12 more years.
- Posted by Parent - Blair Sumrall
Stratford is a welcoming school and community! It is amazing what my kids are learning and getting to experience. There is something for everyone at Stratford- from athletics to arts to STEAM, etc... I highly recommend Stratford!
- Posted by Parent - LDP