Sudbury Valley School
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||120 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,500|
|Tuition Notes||sliding scale for siblings|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Hanna Greenberg|
- At Sudbury Valley School, students from preschool through high school age explore the world freely, at their own pace and in their own unique ways.
- They learn to think for themselves, and learn to use information age tools to unearth the knowledge they need from multiple sources.
- They develop the ability to make clear logical arguments, and deal with complex ethical issues.
- Through self-initiated activities, they pick up the basics; as they direct their lives, they take responsibility for outcomes, set priorities, allocate resources, and work with others in a vibrant community. Trust and respect are the keys to the school's success.
- Students enjoy total intellectual freedom, and unfettered interaction with other students and adults.
- Through being responsible for themselves and for the school's operation, they gain the internal resources needed to lead effective lives.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Framingham Grades: 5-12 | 33 students
1 Frederick Abbott Way
Framingham, MA 01701
(508) 270-1372 3.3 5-12
- Cambridge Grades: 8-12 | 29 students
71 Pearl St
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 492-4922 18.6 8-12
An amazing schooling system that places the student in the front. Through the use of democratic systems SVS is able to promote personal and community development within its school body. By allowing for self-directed education students discover passions and tangential interests. Aside from an impressive model the school has employed it stays well staffed with prior educators and academics that are more than willing to aid students in any pursuit.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Alumni
There are so many things l love about this school. But I think the one that I find most inspiring is the commitment to a radical democracy. The weekly school meeting votes on all issues including tuition, staffing, and school rules. For all students (K-12) and staff its one person one vote. This gives real teeth to the idea that the kids own their own education, which underlies the school's philosophy. One needs to visit to get any sense of the place. They hold periodic open houses check their web site for next one.
- Posted by Parent - Foss Tighe