The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle
5.00 (3 reviews)
Family and Faith are powerful at Saint Matthias. Here, a family is together during our Catholic Schools Week Mass. We welcome students of all faiths to our Christ-centered family.
Our preschool program includes art, music, PE, computer technology, and Spanish. Here they are during the week the studied the letter 'T' - tales in a tent!
- The Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle is a learning community of faith and service rooted in the values and beliefs of the Catholic Church, and dedicated to promoting educational excellence to all students.
- Starting in Fall 2016, in partnership with Boston College, we are moving to a two-way Spanish-English Immersion model for our PreK and Kindergarten!.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Yes|
|Total Students||146 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 33%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Sports||Cross CountryCross Country|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Band, Choir, Drama, Pro-Life Club, Spring Musical Art Club, Band, Choir, Drama, Pro-Life Club, Spring Musical,|
- We have a tradition of excellence. The 8th grade class of 2013 is enrolled at nearly a dozen different high schools, including Gonzaga, Dematha, Elizabeth Seton, Bishop McNamara, Saint John's College High School, Archbishop Carroll, and the science/technology programs of PGCPS. Our Catholic school community is known, as a whole, for a superior education. We are a small, family-oriented community that strongly believes in the education of the whole child. We proudly use the Responsive Classroom model.
Profile last updated: 12/01/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- HyattsvilleGrades: NS-8 | 227 students
7207 Annapolis Road
Hyattsville, MD 20784
- HyattsvilleGrades: PK-8 | 241 students
6310 Jason Street
Hyattsville, MD 20785
- HyattsvilleGrades: PK-8 | 329 students
5207 42nd Place
Hyattsville, MD 20781
- Glenn DaleGrades: PK-8 | 402 students
11902 Daisy Ln
Glenn Dale, MD 20769
- BowieGrades: K-8 | 295 students
7210 Race Track Rd
Bowie, MD 20715
Though I recently graduated, St. Matthias will always be my home. There are small classes for more effective learning, two libraries, a computer lab, a soccer field, a baseball diamond, a basketball court, play equipment, a school band, and a variety programs and activities to make curriculum and daily life interesting. Just this year, the school produced in a class of 19 students various scholarship recipients including a full tuition academic scholarship, a choral scholarship, a speech and debate scholarship, a band scholarship, and more. It's been dubbed the "hidden jewel" of its area for good reason. It's a wonderful school with fantastic faculty and amazing results; I highly recommend it!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - juren
Students in preK through 8th grade have a strong academic program, plus they take art, music, library, PE, Spanish, computers. Students attend weekly Mass. Saint Matthias follows Responsive Classroom.
- Posted by Administrator - Abbie
As a recent graduate, I believe that St. Matthias is a FANTASTIC school! In the graduating class of 2011, (which consisted of only 26 people) the students earned a full-tuition academic ride, a band scholarship, a visual arts scholarship, two partial-tuition academic scholarships, two Knights of Columbus scholarships, and a Catholic Business Network scholarship. The class of 2012 also pulled in many awards, including another full ride to Catholic High school and vocal/band and Knights of Columbus scholarships. These excellent results attest to the wonderful and committed teachers and staff, as well as the resources available. The school boasts a full computer lab, two libraries (for the upper and lower grades), a music and art room, and a band program. For recess and PE class, the campus includes a basketball court, full baseball and soccer fields, and two play equipment areas. The school is also affiliated with the Washington Archdiocese CYO leagues, offering soccer, basketball, t-ball, softball, and baseball teams from intramural to varsity. Other extra curricular activities include an elected student council (from grades four through eight), a newspaper, a chess club, and boy and girl scouting. I loved my time from kindergarten through eighth grade at St. Matthias. It gave me a quality education in a wonderful atmosphere and I highly recommend it.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jjkwe
Nearby Homes for Sale
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.
September 29, 2017
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.