The Advent School
Advent faculty see Boston as an extension of the classroom. Students visit historic sites, cultural centers, parks, and museums to extend their learning beyond the classroom.
Students and faculty explore concepts together in our inquiry-based classrooms: asking questions, testing hypotheses, and gathering information to construct understanding.
- The Advent School is a co-educational independent school for students ages four to 12 in pre-Kindergarten through Sixth Grade. The co-teaching teams model the collaboration we encourage among students during long-term investigations and small group work. With outstanding academics, small class sizes, and an emphasis on diversity and social justice, our students are prepared to enter Seventh Grade at a variety of independent and exam schools in the greater Boston area. In addition to the thematic curriculum at each grade level, Advent students have classes in art, library, music, physical education, science, Spanish, and yoga embedded into their weekly routine.
- The Advent School offers a robust After-School Education Program until 6 p.m. Monday - Friday for students including classes in visual arts, dance, world languages, music, physical fitness, and science.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||207 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||44 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,000|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-Kindergarten-First Grade: $25,730 Second-Fourth Grades: $25,990 Fifth-Sixth Grades: $26,240Need-based financial aid grants are available; contact Admission Office for additional information and materials.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Nora Goddard|
- Founded in 1961 on the principles of social justice, the School takes pride in the exceptional education we offer children. Interweaving skill instruction and thematic study, we believe that teaching children within a meaningful historic, cultural, and environmental context builds confident students, who are able to make robust connections in their learning. The Advent School educates children from Early Childhood (pre-Kindergarten) through Sixth Grade in a nurturing environment. We promote in-depth understanding and mastery of academic skills, challenging students to think critically and take multiple perspectives. The heart of The Advent School is its diverse, inclusive community. Our goal is to cultivate compassionate, responsible individuals who have the confidence to take action consistent with their beliefs, and to understand their part in a larger world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BostonGrades: NS-6 | 314 students
67 Brimmer St
Boston, MA 02108
- BostonGrades: K-6 | 118 students
107 Marlborough Street
Boston, MA 02116
- BostonGrades: PK-8 | 215 students
9 Moon St
Boston, MA 02113
- BostonGrades: NS-8 | 120 students
530 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02215
- Jamaica PlainGrades: NS-12 | 425 students
416 Pond Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.