The Advent School
The Advent School Photo #2 - Students and faculty explore concepts together in our inquiry-based classrooms: asking questions, testing hypotheses, and gathering information to construct understanding.
The Advent School Photo #3 - Advent is committed to remaining an urban school that serves the diverse communities of Boston. Our location in Beacon Hill draws families from over 45 neighborhoods.
The Advent School is a progressive, co-educational independent school for students ages four to 12 in pre-Kindergarten through Sixth Grade. Reggio Emilia inspired, the co-teaching teams model the collaboration we encourage among students during long-term investigations and small group work. With outstanding academics, small class sizes, and an emphasis on diversity and social justice, our students are prepared to enter Seventh Grade at a variety of independent and exam schools in the greater Boston area. In addition to the thematic curriculum at each grade level, Advent students have classes in art, library, music, physical education, science, Spanish, and yoga embedded into their weekly routine.
The Advent School offers a robust After-School Education Program until 6 p.m. Monday - Friday for students including classes in visual arts, dance, world languages, music, physical fitness, and science.
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-6
- Students: 200 students
- Yearly Tuition: $31,950
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 15 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.; Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) five days each week, and includes field trip fees, books, and all classroom materials. Please refer to the FAQ webpage for a complete list of what is and isn’t included in the tuition and feeds.
% on Financial Aid
Lauren D. Lewis
- Founded in 1961 on the principles of social justice, the School takes pride in the exceptional education we offer children. Interweaving skill instruction and thematic study, we believe that teaching children within a meaningful historic, cultural, and environmental context builds confident students, who are able to make robust connections in their learning. The Advent School educates children from Early Childhood (pre-Kindergarten) through Sixth Grade in a nurturing environment. We promote in-depth understanding and mastery of academic skills, challenging students to think critically and take multiple perspectives. The heart of The Advent School is its diverse, inclusive community. Our goal is to cultivate compassionate, responsible individuals who have the confidence to take action consistent with their beliefs, and to understand their part in a larger world.
Profile last updated: 09/07/2021
Endorse The Advent School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.
Should Teachers Be Unionized?
One of the basic differences between private and public schools is the fact that most public school teachers belong to a union. Should teachers be unionized?