The Blake School
The Blake School Photo #2 - Our program emphasizes five core values for Middle School students to live by: Academic and personal honesty; Acceptance of others; Respect for peers, adults and the school facilities and environment; Responsibility toward self, others, the school and the surrounding community; Trust within the school community.
The Blake School Photo #3 - Early adolescence is an exciting period for children to discover what they can achieve. We provide numerous opportunities for students to excel as scholars, athletes and artists.
The Blake School Photo #4 - Whatever path students choose, they are guided by solid core values, a strong sense of purpose and a commitment to bettering themselves and their world.
The Blake School Photo #5 - Instruction in core academic subjects English language arts, mathematics, social studies and science places ever-greater emphasis on close reading, carefully crafted writing, critical thinking, social responsibility and creative problem-solving.
The Blake School Photo #6 - A carefully planned arts rotation ensures that all students receive instruction in visual arts and theatre while pursuing music throughout.
The Blake School Photo #8 - Lower School instruction incorporates numerous collaborative projects and emphasizes the shared values of citizenship, respect for others, empathy and working together to solve problems.
The Blake School Photo #9 - The Lower School combines academic rigor with a nurturing, homelike and supportive environment.
- Founded in 1900, The Blake School is an independent, coeducational day school (pre-k-12) with campuses in Minneapolis, Hopkins and Wayzata.
- Blake provides a strong liberal arts education with a challenging curriculum that integrates academics, arts and athletics.
- 1,367 students attend Blake, coming from more than 59 Twin Cities' communities.
- Tuition: $18,135 - $32,895. Financial Aid: $7.8 million in need-based aid is awarded annually to approximately 23 percent of the student body.
The Blake School places among the top 20% of private schools in Minnesota for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Costs vary by class, program and camp. More information at https://www.blakeschool.org/page.cfm?p=534.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||1366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||137 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Chinese, Economics, English Literature, European History, French, Latin: Vergil and Caesar, Physics (three courses), Spanish, Statistics, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1395|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by grade. In the current school year, Blake awarded $7.8 million in need-based financial assistance to 23 percent of the student body. See web site for tuition rates.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joe Silvestri|
|Admissions Associate||Beth Pliego|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Nordic Skiing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Archery, Art, Basketball, Chess, Lego, Math, Mucha Musica, Photography Club and Film Club, PreK Buddies, Robotics, Science and Engineering, Sign Language Club, Smartist Bears, Swimming, Ultimate Frisbee Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Choir, Orchestra
- The Blake School is a pre-kindergarten-grade 12, independent day school with a national reputation for academics. Students strive for excellence in athletics and the arts and are committed to improving their local and global community. Small classes of diverse students are united by innate curiosity. Students encounter thoughtfully prepared curriculum along with abundant opportunities for travel, service, sports and artistic endeavors while developing habits of mind that enable them to think critically, solve problems, empathize, create and make our world better.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Eden Prairie Grades: NS-12 | 297 students
6385 Beach Rd
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
(952)918-1840 3.7 NS-12
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-12 | 1164 students
123 Ottawa Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55422
(763)381-8217 4.3 PK-12
- Minneapolis Grades: 1-12 | 277 students
3200 Highway 100 S
Minneapolis, MN 55416
(952)920-6377 2.4 1-12
- Minnetonka Grades: PK-8 | 49 students
3520 Williston Rd
Minnetonka, MN 55345
(952)935-4497 4.1 PK-8
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.