The Free School
- Founded in 1969 by Mary Leue, the Albany Free School is the oldest inner-city independent alternative school in the United States.
- The school based on freedom and democratic principles that was equally, if not more accessible to children of the poor.
- We are a community far more than a school providing a safe, nurturing, open space where kids ages three through fourteen learn.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||28 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Comfortable clothes that can get a little dirty.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is sliding scale based on income ranging from $2,500 - $7,500 annually. Tuition is broken up into 10 monthly payments.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Deirdre Kelly|
|Admissions Associate||Christine Berghala|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Slingerlands Grades: 1-3 | 15 students
12 Fisher Boulevard
Slingerlands, NY 12159
(518) 478-0224 6.4 1-3
- Albany Grades: K-6 | 39 students
30 N Main Ave
Albany, NY 12203
(518) 453-6720 2.1 K-6
- Albany Grades: PK-K | 88 students
75 Whitehall Rd
Albany, NY 12209
(518) 463-6495 1.6 PK-K
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.