The Highlands School
Tel: (410) 836-1415
- The Highlands School serves 55 students in grades 2-12 and is a member of the AIMSMDDC (Assoc.
- of independent Maryland and DC Schools). The student:teacher of The Highlands School is 2:1 and the school's religious affiliation is Nonsectarian.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADHD, and other language-based learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||55 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,500|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact school.|
|Admissions Director||Suzanne Lippa|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chorus, Drama Club, Pep Squad, Robotics, Running Club, Service Club, Sound Audio Broadcasting Team, Sports Mix Club
- Thank you for your interest in The Highlands School. Highlands is a private, independent, AIMS accredited, K-12 program designed for students with dyslexia, ADHD, and language-based learning differences. We have been changing lives since the school first opened its doors in 1996. In 2007, we moved to our current state-of-the-art facility which is located on a beautiful 18-acre campus in Bel Air, Maryland that was once home to the Preakness-winning racehorse Deputed Testamony.
- I invite you to spend some time exploring our website. I am confident that you will find Highlands to be a vibrant school community. During the school year, we have a full academic program which provides our lower and middle school students with a complete classroom experience as well as small group instruction. We are very excited to have added an Upper School and we look forward to the first Highlands graduating class in 2018!
- In addition to classroom and small group instruction, options for on-site tutoring is available. There are many opportunities for experiential learning including our Hands-On-Highlands Program which is a groundbreaking K-12th-grade curriculum that engages students in a multi-disciplinary technical education. During the summer Highlands continues to bustle with activities like our Mind Jump Summer Program and Back to School Boot Camp. Outside of the classroom students have the opportunity to become involved in activities such as our Musical, Chorus, Robotics, Science Projects, Pep Squad, Arts in the Afternoon, field trips, and much more!
- At Highlands we challenge our students utilizing research-based teaching methods that work. Students receive individualized instruction and are taught using multiple modalities in a safe, caring, and supportive environment. Our goal is to unlock our students` potential; thus, giving them the confidence they need to pursue their dreams and passions. In the school`s 20+ year history, our dedicated and talented faculty members have helped over 1,600 students by empowering them with the tools they needed for personal and academic success.
- "Discover Yourself. Achieve Success. Inspire the World." There is no better way to understand the "Highlands Way" than to experience it. Come join us for a visit to see what The Highlands School is all about!
- Phil Piercy, Ph.D.
- Chief Academic Officer / Principal
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bel Air Grades: 6-12 | 35 students
2416 Creswell Rd
Bel Air, MD 21015
(410) 734-0560 0.1 6-12
- Bel Air Grades: PK-8 | 297 students
715 Moores Mill Rd
Bel Air, MD 21014
(410) 838-4848 5.6 PK-8
- Bel Air Grades: 9-12 | 649 students
703 E Churchville Rd
Bel Air, MD 21014
(410) 879-2480 4.7 9-12
- Hunt Valley Grades: 3-12 | 68 students
11201 Pepper Rd
Hunt Valley, MD 21031
(410) 527-9505 20.8 3-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?