The Homestead School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (845) 856-6359
The Homestead School Photo #2 - "We cannot make a genius; we can only give each individual the chance to fulfill his potential possibilities to become an independent, secure, and balanced human being." Maria Montessori
The Homestead School Photo #7 - "Our aim therefore is not merely to make the children understand, and still less to force them to memorize, but so to touch their imagination as to enthuse them to their innermost core. We do not want complacent pupils, but eager ones.?" Maria Montessori
The Homestead School Photo #8 - We offer in-depth specialty subjects such as art, foreign language, computer training, music, drama, fiber arts, and physical education. Such specialties are embraced by the Homestead staff as an integral part of a program which helps the child to see constant applications for the regular classroom lessons, while firing the creative imagination and stimulating interests to last a lifetime.
The Homestead School Photo #9 - "Montessori classrooms work well when the teacher understands the necessity of continually appealing to children?'s innate behaviors that lead to their adaptation to society and, ultimately, the possibility of changing that society.?" Paula Polk Lillard, Author on Montessori
- The Homestead School opened in September, 1978, to provide a rich academic and practical education within an exceptional rural setting.
- Non-discriminatory, non-sectarian, Montessori School which offers its students a warm, relaxed nursery program, kindergarten, primary grades and middle school based on the Montessori approach to education.
- The Homestead School provides each child with a choice of constructive academic and social experiences of suitable challenge to his level.
- The school's handcrafted, manipulative materials offer the child a concrete approach to sequenced programs in math and numbers, language, science, geography, social studies, daily living skills, sensorial training, and large muscle activities.
- Attractive and designed for individual use, the learning materials allow each child the chance to take on tasks repeatedly until mastery.
- As a result, the child develops independence, self-discipline, and the ability to work with concentration on solving problems.
The Homestead School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||198 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Peter Comstock|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and FieldAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field
- The Homestead School opened in September, 1978, to provide a rich academic and practical education within an exceptional rural setting. Non-discriminatory, non-sectarian, and associated with the American Montessori Society, the School offers its students a warm, relaxed nursery program, kindergarten, and primary grades based on the Montessori approach to education. The Homestead School provides each child with a choice of constructive academic and social experiences of suitable challenge to his level. The school's handcrafted, manipulative materials offer the child a concrete approach to sequenced programs in math and numbers, language, science, geography, social studies, daily living skills, sensorial training, and large muscle activities. Attractive and designed for individual use, the learning materials allow each child the chance to take on tasks repeatedly until mastery. As a result, the child develops independence, self-discipline, and the ability to work with concentration on solving problems.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Liberty Grades: PK-K | 48 students
121 Lincoln Pl
Liberty, NY 12754
(845) 292-7270 24.9 PK-K
- Brooklyn Grades: 9-12 | 595 students
2474 Ocean Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11229
(718) 743-6100 74.1 9-12
- New Rochelle Grades: NS-12 | 153 students
100 Overlook Cir
New Rochelle, NY 10804
(914) 632-8836 64.9 NS-12
The Homestead was the most wonderful school that I had ever been to. The teachers were amazing and we would always go outside and into the woods for lunch. In the winter our teachers would always encourage us to go outside and sled, but I would always stay inside because I would rather read a book. There wouldn`t be any desks, instead there were tables and you could walk all around the classroom, it was definitely not a traditional school. Everyone in the classroom would eventually become a second family to you, since you would have all of you classes in the same classroom. I went to the Homestead from Pre-k to 6th grade and I still haven`t found a better school than this one.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sohyla
I can't say enough wonderful things about the Homestead School. I have a son in first grade and another little one on their way to preschool next year. The directors are friendly, understanding, and involved. Every one of my boy's teachers have been phenomenal. The Montessori method is such a wonderful way for kids to learn. My son loves to be challenged and I know he is each and every day. Besides the excellent academic environment, the students participate in art, Spanish, fiber arts, and drama. The kids are also encouraged to play outside several times each day even when it is cold. My son comes home with his adventurous sled riding stories and couldn't be happier. He tells people all of the time that "he loves school" and he "goes to the best school in the world". I just can't say enough wonderful things about the Homestead.
- Posted by Parent - koldh
Homestead is truly a one-of-a-kind school. You sense this as soon as you step onto the gorgeous 85-acre property and meet the founders, who are the among the loveliest people I''ve ever met. When my husband and I first toured, I thought to myself, "Wow, I want to go to school here!" Every time I step on the campus I am amazed by how peaceful and cheerful it is, and how engaged all of the children are. Being a Montessori, the guiding principle at the school is that discovery is at the heart of learning, and Homestead offers the kids there so many incredible opportunities to do this on their own, in nature, with their friends. The teachers know every child's strengths and needs very individually, and help the kids learn to manage their own learning. My daughter is currently finishing first grade and her reading progress this year has been incredible. She is a passionate researcher and loves the natural environment, so Homestead is really the perfect place for her. If you want your child to have more individual attention in a caring, creative, holistic environment, than you can't do any better than Homestead!
- Posted by Parent - jessi
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?